Short Wave Sportfishing

Default Insurance and weasels

go together like bread and butter.

Imagine that a boat was backed into in a parking lot by an idiot
tractor trailer driver causing enough damage to require fairly
extensive fiberglass repair and a body shop to repair the trailer.

Imagine that the owner of this boat has a "agreed value" with his
insurance company which was written under a personal custom written
umbrella policy

Imagine that the insurance carrier wanted to total the boat rather
than repair it and offered to pay $10,000 under the agreed value as
stated in the insurance policy.

Imagine that the owner of the boat went ballastic and pointed out to
the idiot adjuster that his insurance company was on hook for
considerably more money than the offer and that if they were nice
about it, and because the owner really likes the boat, the owner would
absorb part of the cost of the repair, but only to X dollars.

Imagine that the idiot insurance adjuster flately stated that their
liability wasn't as stated and that was their last/best offer on the
boat.

Imagine that the idiot adjuster was shown the signed, dated and
notarized policy plus the appropriate clause in said policy to which
the adjuster flatly stated that the company had never written such a
policy and he restated his last/best offer.

Stay tuned

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)

Jim

Tom,

I think BB is right. Doesn't sound like you're dealing with a
competant adjuster. If you're insurance company isn't going to
handle this properly, deal with the insurance company for the
truck driver and go from there. Might not hurt to go up a level
or two with your insurance company to discuss this adjuster.

-Jim

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 20:31:39 GMT, Jim
wrote:

Tom,

I think BB is right. Doesn't sound like you're dealing with a
competant adjuster. If you're insurance company isn't going to
handle this properly, deal with the insurance company for the
truck driver and go from there. Might not hurt to go up a level
or two with your insurance company to discuss this adjuster.

The trucking company said, basically, take our offer or take it up
with your insurance.

I didn't want the legal hassle.

All is now well though - our attorney solved the problem and I've made
out quite well even to the point of being able to designate my own
repair facility.

Can't complain about that. :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)
Jim

Tom,

Glad to hear things turned around for you on this one. Congrats
ad hope you get her fixed up fast.

Still can't believe the truckers'insurance had this attitude.

-Jim

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 23:03:51 GMT, wrote:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:20:28 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 17:27:37 GMT,
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 17:17:06 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Why is the boatowner's policy involved at all? Sounds like the truck
driver's insurance would be paying.

And there's the rub - their insurance company offered 1/3 of what my
insurance company offered and said, and I quote, "If you don't like
it, use your own insurance".

I didn't want the legal hassle.

And all is now well - I apologize for the earlier rant. Our family
attorney got involved and settled it quickly by contacting somebody
and that was that.

Glad to hear it worked out okay. Seeing as the truck driver was liable, there
was no reason for your insurance company to pay a dime, or do anything other
than maybe recommending a good lawyer.

Don't forget for a minute that making a claim on your own insurance invariably
puts you in a higher risk category, even though it wasn't your fault. I
personally know of someone who had their boat insurance from the same company as
their home insurance . They made a modest claim for some stuff that was stolen
from their boat, and were subsequently cancelled, including their house
insurance, car insurance and personal liability umbrella. Getting new insurance
elsewhere was very difficult and expensive. A lot more than what they got from
the claim. That's when I decided to insure my boat separately with a yacht
insurance company.

The insurer would stand to lose more than they are going to pay out
for this if they cancel our insurance - we pay more a year for all
the insurances than this claim cost them and we haven't had a claim in
over eighteen years.

Besides, they will go after the trucking company to recover their loss
and save me the hassle.

There are times when attorney's actually work for their retainers.
:)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)
Ron K

it appears to me after being an insurance adjuster for 40 years the
policyholder doesn't understand his policy, there is no such thing as a
signed notarized policy. I suppose this is a stated value policy in an
amount up to a certain limit, which does not mean the company will (or has
to) pay up to that limit.
Ron K

[...]

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 08:42:27 -0600, "Ron K" wrote:

it appears to me after being an insurance adjuster for 40 years the
policyholder doesn't understand his policy, there is no such thing as a
signed notarized policy. I suppose this is a stated value policy in an
amount up to a certain limit, which does not mean the company will (or has
to) pay up to that limit.

The problem was that the adjuster didn't understand what the policy
stated.

The policy is not a standard walk in the door and purchase insurance
policy - it is a custom policy.

And frankly, after this experience, I'm seriously considering moving
the whole thing to another company.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT