Joe Bleau

Default rejuvenating old gel coat vs. re gelcoating

I'm in Florida so I can do things all year long. A couple of months
ago--just after the Miami boat show--I applied poly glo to my mildly
oxidized topsides. It came out OK--not like a newly buffed and waxed
gelcoat in good condition--but OK.

Now, a couple of days ago I taped off an area around my forward hatch
and regelcoated the entire area, using a spray gun and a special
gelcoat additive (I think it is called Duratec or something like
that). It came out fairly smooth, hardly any orange peel. A little
sanding and buffing and it looks perfect.

This causes me to wonder: Why could one not simply sand and fair the
complete hull and shoot on a new gelcoat? I think I would rather have
this than awlgrip since gelcoat is so easy to repair. Anyone had any
experience along these lines

J.
Jere Lull

In article ,
Joe Bleau wrote:

This causes me to wonder: Why could one not simply sand and fair the
complete hull and shoot on a new gelcoat? I think I would rather have
this than awlgrip since gelcoat is so easy to repair. Anyone had any
experience along these lines

It's definitely an option. Most of us don't have the skill or tools to
do it, but it seems you do. Friends do that for a living.

--
Jere Lull
Larry W4CSC

Joe Bleau wrote in
:

This causes me to wonder: Why could one not simply sand and fair the
complete hull and shoot on a new gelcoat? I think I would rather have
this than awlgrip since gelcoat is so easy to repair. Anyone had any
experience along these lines

Before you sand off the first two layers of mat, try a square using
Meguiar's Fiberglass Restorer. It's real easy. It does the same thing to
gelcoat that Meguiar's paint restorer does to an old car finish all
oxidized. Use Meguiar's wax to keep it that way.....no sanding needed, an
afternoon job.

Works even better if you drink a fine English ale, while waiting for the
restorer to dry!....(c;

Shh.....don't tell the boat stores Autozone has it for 40% less
money....ok?

Larry W4CSC

Joe Bleau wrote in
:

J.

I was trying to find some good websites about Meguiars before I posted this
but there were so many I gave up. One humorous website I found on the
subject is:

http://www.boatforumz.com/-Penetrating-ftopict4249.html

Go take a look! ALL of you posting here are reflected on this joker's
website for the spammed uninformed that haven't a clue as to how to use
usenet......without the spam.

Yoo Hoo! (wave) Hello boat forum inmates!!....(c;

Now I'll have to change my usenet tagline to include instructions on how to
get here without webpages.....

Rich Hampel

For gelcoat restoration ... or for removing blemishes when a boat is
pulled from its mold:
Flat sand with 2000 grit wet and dry . Begin with coarser (1000, 1300,
etc. if removing heavy oxidation. use a rubber block. .
Get a high speed (variable) autobody shop polisher with LAMBSWOOL
bonnets.
get 1000, 1300 and 2000 grit compound (3M sells even finer grades)
On a 2 ft by 2ft area begin with the coarse grit and buff, change
bonnets and use sucessively finer grades, then wax with a natural
carnauba wax to fill the pores of the gel. Never mix grits and bonnets.
Dont push the polisher into the gel; keep it moving so it doesnt burn
the gel and be careful over sharp edges. This method will usually
restore gelcoat to showroom NEW condition.
Usually the gelcoat is thick enough for MANY / SEVERAL such buffings...
but stop if you start to see the color of the matting layer start to
show through ... then its time to respray new gel or get out the paint
can..
If you dont want your gelcoat to look like **** after a few years,
every few years strip out all the old dead wax with a strong caustic
detergent, then lightly buff and rewax to keep the pores sealed.

In article , Larry W4CSC
wrote:

Joe Bleau wrote in
:

J.

I was trying to find some good websites about Meguiars before I posted this
but there were so many I gave up. One humorous website I found on the
subject is:

http://www.boatforumz.com/-Penetrating-ftopict4249.html

Go take a look! ALL of you posting here are reflected on this joker's
website for the spammed uninformed that haven't a clue as to how to use
usenet......without the spam.

Yoo Hoo! (wave) Hello boat forum inmates!!....(c;

Now I'll have to change my usenet tagline to include instructions on how to
get here without webpages.....

prodigal1

Rich Hampel wrote:
Usually the gelcoat is thick enough for MANY / SEVERAL such buffings...
but stop if you start to see the color of the matting layer start to
show through ... then its time to respray new gel or get out the paint
can..

this was very helpful
I know it's bad juju to post binary images to non-binary newsgroups, but
would anyone mind if I posted a close-up of the detail of the surface of
my 38-year-old baby for opinions in regard to the above?
John Cairns

"prodigal1" wrote in message
Rich Hampel wrote:
Usually the gelcoat is thick enough for MANY / SEVERAL such buffings...
but stop if you start to see the color of the matting layer start to
show through ... then its time to respray new gel or get out the paint
can..

this was very helpful
I know it's bad juju to post binary images to non-binary newsgroups, but
would anyone mind if I posted a close-up of the detail of the surface of
my 38-year-old baby for opinions in regard to the above?

Better to use this:

http://www.webshots.com/homepage.html

Free, all you have to do is register.

John Cairns

John Cairns

"prodigal1" wrote in message
Rich Hampel wrote:
Usually the gelcoat is thick enough for MANY / SEVERAL such buffings...
but stop if you start to see the color of the matting layer start to
show through ... then its time to respray new gel or get out the paint
can..

this was very helpful
I know it's bad juju to post binary images to non-binary newsgroups, but
would anyone mind if I posted a close-up of the detail of the surface of
my 38-year-old baby for opinions in regard to the above?

Or, send me the pic and I can post it here, with any other information you
care to include.

http://community.webshots.com/album/139182133hFBSUG

John Cairns

Capt. Neal®

"John Cairns" wrote in message m...

Or, send me the pic and I can post it here, with any other information you
care to include.

http://community.webshots.com/album/139182133hFBSUG

John Cairns

About time you did something worthwhile for once. . . .
It's a far cry from your usual disruptive whining.

CN
prodigal1

John Cairns wrote:

Or, send me the pic and I can post it here, with any other information you
care to include.

http://community.webshots.com/album/139182133hFBSUG

John Cairns

thanks John, I'm going up on Sunday to check up on the old girl