Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Lightweight Anchors

Since I am considering building a trimaran, weight will be a major
consideration. With a monohull, I do not mind the weight of my waaaay
oversize Delta plus the weight of a very large Danforth and also a
smaller CQR but this might be unacceptable for a trimaran where
lightwweight means performance AND safety. How to solve this problem?
A Fortress anchor seems like a start but you really need more than one
type.
So.....why not make a Delta style anchor from composite material with
metal edges and somehwat weighted point but a composite shank and body
for low weight. The holding power of plow anchors is not a function of
their weight but of their surface area. A well designed anchor will
penetrate the bottom even if it is lighter than a less well designed
one.