Ed

I have a 48' FBSF (read 50K LB and lots of windage). I used a danforth
as a main and a Fortress 35 as a kedge. Largest winds I have
sustained with this setup was about 40Kt sustained and gusts beyond
that. With lighter anchors of this type, it's all about the chain....
I use 30' with both units. I cruise in SFL, Keys and Bahamas so I
usually have a sand or grass bottom.

Garland Gray II wrote:

Ditto the Spade, aluminum model.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Since I am considering building a trimaran, weight will be a major
consideration. With a monohull, I do not mind the weight of my waaaay
oversize Delta plus the weight of a very large Danforth and also a
smaller CQR but this might be unacceptable for a trimaran where
lightwweight means performance AND safety. How to solve this problem?
A Fortress anchor seems like a start but you really need more than one
type.
So.....why not make a Delta style anchor from composite material with
metal edges and somehwat weighted point but a composite shank and body
for low weight. The holding power of plow anchors is not a function of
their weight but of their surface area. A well designed anchor will
penetrate the bottom even if it is lighter than a less well designed
one.