Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Steve

Default NOAA PocketChartsT

Has anyone had any experience using these 'reduced size' charts??

I'm beginning to see them on eBay for around $5 (Buy Now) plus shipping..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AWN%3AMT%3A1

I understand these are "Print on Demand" and should be available by any
chart dealer with the proper equipment to download and print them out.

Since they are reduced scale (~34%), 13"X19" and fold down to 4"X6" they do
fit nicely onto a Yeoman or cruising boats chart table. And the price is
reasonable.

My concern would be the accuracy of the reduction and how
stability/durability of the paper that they are printed on. I know that
paper stability distortion is a concern when using Xerox copies of NOAA
charts.

Something else that I noted was that the reverse side of these charts are
printed with educational and safety information.. Since they are being
printed on demand, I'd like to have the option of having a second chart
printed on the back side to save chart storage space. (You can bet that the
ed/safety information will be the same on every chart.)

Bottom line, the Chart Kit booklets are still the best bang for the buck,
but at least NOAA and the chart dealers have a new method to deliver
individual charts of reasonable size and price.

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW

--
Steve
s/v Good Intentions

noaa weather maps Mike General 4 June 15th 04 02:11 AM
NOAA Chart copies Sourse? Steve Cruising 8 April 4th 04 02:38 PM
NOAA SATELLITES AID IN 224 RESCUES IN 2003 Capt. Dave General 0 January 24th 04 03:04 AM
Copying or Scanning NOAA charts. Steve Cruising 6 January 17th 04 04:54 AM
Now, NOAA is lying about the weather Simple Simon ASA 3 September 7th 03 05:02 PM