Steve

Default NOAA Chart copies Sourse?

I know that we use to be able to go to Scripps (UCSD Oceanography Dept), by
appointment and for a couple bucks they would copy or let you copy any of
the NOAA or DMA charts they had on file. In the early '90s the cost was only
$1 each. If I remember correctly you had to give them a list of charts in
advance so you would have them ready. I never did it myself but friends at
the marina who were going cruising did and it work well (and cheap).

Since Scripps Institute of Oceanography is now a dept of the UCSD, I'm not
sure it they still do this, or the cost.

I'm now in the Seattle area and still need about dozen charts for the Inside
Passage and I'm wondering if the UW has a similar dept. and arrangement.

The cruising guides are great but I would still like to have some regular
paper charts.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

none

what about the digital charts available for free? you can print them your
self and laminate themr use the smaller sections as is.
http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/programs/cs/welcome.html
rick

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:56:30 -0800, Steve wrote:
I know that we use to be able to go to Scripps (UCSD Oceanography Dept),
by
appointment and for a couple bucks they would copy or let you copy any of
the NOAA or DMA charts they had on file. In the early '90s the cost was
only

snip.... The cruising guides are great but I would still like to have
some
regular
paper charts.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Keith

Bellingham Chart Printers sell B/W copies of NOAA charts at pretty
reasonable rates, in various sizes. Look at: http://www.tidesend.com/

You can also get NOAA ENC charts for free and view them with free viewers...
see http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/encdistr...n/download.asp
and
http://www.sevencs.com/

The free sevencs viewer is the best, IMHO, but there are others available,
including one from Fugawi.

--

Keith
__
"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:13:52 -0600, "Keith"
wrote:

Bellingham Chart Printers sell B/W copies of NOAA charts at pretty
reasonable rates, in various sizes. Look at: http://www.tidesend.com/

I've heard that hey have just gone from B&W to grayscale printing, at
the same price. That should be an improvement in readability.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
Steve

"Glen "Wiley" Wilson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Bellingham Chart Printers sell B/W copies of NOAA charts at pretty
reasonable rates, in various sizes. Look at: http://www.tidesend.com/

I've heard that hey have just gone from B&W to grayscale printing, at
the same price. That should be an improvement in readability.

I've been copying a few charts at a self service print shop that uses a
large fromat scanner to printer and it giver very good detail in gray scale.
I hardly miss the color tones of the NOAA original. This cost me about $4
for a single full scale, however if I want the copy reduced, as with BCP,
the price is reduce according to the paper size. If I were to go in with a
few dozen the price would also be reduced.. The paper quality may be the
difference here, but I'm only interested in keeping them for one trip and as
planning and emergency back up for the digital charts I have for these
regions.

If anyone in the Seattle area has these chart, I would be greatful if I
could copy them.

Those who know me, know I am frugal to a fault, but I have been trying to
purchase these charts on ebay and of several groups of one year old charts
offered last week, I bid them collectively to over $200 but ended up with
only a few BC charts. (Maybe the fellow in Yakama that won, will let me copy
them...Hmmmm )..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

what about the digital charts available for free? you can print them
your self and laminate themr use the smaller sections as is.
http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/programs/cs/w elcome.html

Am I missing something? I looked at the site and it says everywhere that
they no longer have them. If I've missed the section, please advise.
Much appreciated.

Dave

wrote in message ...
what about the digital charts available for free? you can print them
your self and laminate themr use the smaller sections as is.
http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/programs/cs/w elcome.html

Am I missing something? I looked at the site and it says everywhere that
they no longer have them. If I've missed the section, please advise.
Much appreciated.

The "free" (not really free, considering how much income tax we pay)
charts are available he

http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/mcd/enc/download.htm