K. R. Lauzon

Default Removal of Swirls in Wax

My fibreglass boat while it shines, if you look at it at a certain angle,
you can see swirls . and this bothers me. Has any one had an experience like
this and what product would you recommend to remove the swirls or the wax
from a fibreglass surface?

Doug Dotson

My experience is that the wax needs to be buffed longer. A good buffer runs
fast enough to melt the wax so it distributes and penetrates better. It
might also
be that not enough wax was applied so that it didn;t cover completely.

Doug

"K. R. Lauzon" wrote in message
My fibreglass boat while it shines, if you look at it at a certain angle,
you can see swirls . and this bothers me. Has any one had an experience
like
this and what product would you recommend to remove the swirls or the wax
from a fibreglass surface?

Bruce on horizon

What you are looking at, are micro scratches in the gelcoat finish. To
bring the finish up to a show quality, wet sand with 1500 grit then 2000
then 3000 and then then compound and finish with foam pad using 3m
perfect-it 3000 products that you can purchase at the local auto paint and
supply company. Its a lot of work, but you will get the results you are
looking for. Here is a link that tells the process with the photos of the
products to use. The process is the same for gelcoat and paint.
http://www.shieldfinishes.com/3mfinalfinish.asp

Don't wear your self out
Bruce

Jere Lull

In article ,
"K. R. Lauzon" wrote:

My fibreglass boat while it shines, if you look at it at a certain angle,
you can see swirls . and this bothers me. Has any one had an experience like
this and what product would you recommend to remove the swirls or the wax
from a fibreglass surface?

Personally, who cares about swirls? If I can't see "it" from a
boatlength, it doesn't exist.

(If this is serious, a clean pad on the buffer will clear it up, but I
tend to leave excess wax on the boat.)

--
Jere Lull
John K Kudera

I had the same result when using a pure wax, I got rid of mine by re waxing,
using a clean, (and change often )buffer pad,apply a thin coat of new wax,by
hand. Do a small 6 square foot area at a time, with some overlap. Should be
fine. Just try a small area, if it works, do it!!

Teak deck removal Jim Boat Building 7 February 23rd 05 11:14 PM
Removal of teak decks Jim General 8 February 21st 05 11:28 PM
Removal of Treadmaster Rick & Linda Bernard Cruising 8 June 8th 04 09:55 PM
Sikkens Cetol Removal Nancy Murphy General 3 April 18th 04 06:33 PM
Merc Spark Plugs Removal Ernie General 0 November 6th 03 02:12 PM