Paul

Default Small Craft Route on Georgian Bay

Hi,

Can anyone answer a few questions on sailing from Penetanguishine to
Parry Sound, Ontario using the Small Craft Route. My wife and I would
like to make a run up to a friends cottage near Parry Sound. We have
a 22' swing keel sailboat. But we have only been sailing for about 2
years, and haven't really done a trip like this before. So....

It is about 55 miles in distance (according to the charts). Can it be
done in 3 days (one way), at a reasonable pace? We won't be
exploring, but we also don't want to have to push long days.

There are a couple of sections where you are exposed to the full fetch
of Georgian Bay. Obviously if the weather is bad, it can be
treacherous, but on average, what sort of conditions can we expect?

I have read lots of logs from others who have made the trip, and read
the Ports book. Sounds like fun, but they are obviously more
experienced than us. So if anyone is of the opinion that we are
crazy, and should stay at home, then please say so - I can take it.
:-)

But if you have some suggestions then that would be great too.
Thanks

-Paul
Bert Meadley

Hi Paul
The small boat channel is reasonably protected all the way You wont be doing
much sailing thou as it is mostly a motor trip. there are good anchorages
along the way ,echo bay for one its near the Henry;s restraunt
Also Killbear Prov Park is a great anchorage.
Good luck asnd have a great trip
Bert

m...