Michael

Default Buying a Sailboat

Boat Buying Sailboat

I have been doing research on boat purchasing.

It has been suggested that the NADA values of boats are relative to
the asking price and not the actual selling price. As I understand
that these values are provided by the brokers and therefore - the
greater the price the more the commission - I wouldnt know if this was
the practice or not. Although I dont think that on the average older
26 ft sailing crusier it would make a difference.

What is considered the average lenght of time it takes to sell a older
26 ft sailing crusier?

Many of the boats I have seen lack any detailing. Namely, it can be
seen by how clean the heads floor is.

Most boats at the 20 year mark probably need:

- rudder rebuild
- standing rigging replacement
- running rigging replacement
- bottom paint
- motor maintenance or replacement
- battery replacement
- many have original sails
- cushion replacement and uphostering
- port lights

The most signicant would be deck moisture or delamination. On a older
26 ft sailing crusier that needed a recore what would you figure as a
price of this repair and how much would or should it effect the
purchase price?

How would you figure what the value of a boat was given the above or
combination thereof?

Would the cost be:
-what it would cost to have a third party do the work like the Yard

Or

-would you figure what the cost of the parts are and not consider the
value of the work that you would do yourself.

How would you determine what the actual worth of the boat is?

As a percentage, is there a standard that you would use to make an
offer less than asking price?

----------------------
"Consider an offer that is 20-40% below NADA value. Adjust your
offer based on the seller's situation (see Types Of Sellers above.)
If you get a remarkable deal, go with it. If not, tell the seller
that you will leave your offer on the table for a couple of days."

"Its always a buyer's market for used boats. You owe it to yourself
to get the best deal possible. Remember, you're going to have to pay
to repair some hidden things after you buy the boat. Those hidden
things were likely not disclosed by the seller whom you may feel bad
about "low-balling." Besides, many sellers will just be happy to get
rid of their boat. Use this to your advantage. Sellers may frown at
your initial offer, but secretly most will be happy to have some
action."

http://www.firstboat.schoolreference.com/

----------------

-Good thoughts on the logic of "low-balling" on the purchase price.

Please respond to forum...Thanks

prodigal1

Michael wrote:
Boat Buying Sailboat

snip
alright that's enough ;-) quite ****ing around
you want to buy a great old boat, buy this

http://www.clic.net/~dcooper/hinterh...a%20vendre.htm

boat is located just outside Windsor, Ontario on the Detroit River
no relation to seller
Rolf

Some comments on the list of probable repairs:
Rudder rebuild: The survey should tell you if you need a rudder
rebuild. I bought a new rudder for my 33 ft boat and that cost $ 800.
Standing rigging replacement: If the rigging has not been replaced it
is high time after 20 years in salt water. I replaced my standing
rigging one shroud at a time, without taking the mast down. Cost $500.
If you take the mast down it probably doubles.
Running rigging: Depends on condition, but not a high cost item
Bottom paint. Maybe this can be done during the survey? But it
certainly will have to be done.
Motor maintenance or replacement: A rebuild diesel or a new one may
cost up to $8000. So I would not buy a boat where the diesel needs
replacement. Routine maintenance ( oil, filters, zincs, fliuds ) will
need to be done. A boat with a bad engine is a "project boat"
A new deep discharge battery can be bought for $50 to $80. So this is
minor.
Sails are often blown out and need to be replaced. For a 33 ft boat new
sails cost $4000. But i used the old ones for a year and then replaced
them, what a difference!
Cushions are cosmetic. I recovered mine myself for $400 in fabric.

In summary, I would not touch a boat that needed serious engine work or
that had serious delamination. Boats with those problems are project
boats and sometimes sre not worth getting unless you are really into
this kind of work.
The other items are relatively less important and you can simply
discount the price of the baot for that.

Ryk

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:36:21 -0500, prodigal1 wrote:

Michael wrote:
Boat Buying Sailboat

snip
alright that's enough ;-) quite ****ing around
you want to buy a great old boat, buy this

http://www.clic.net/~dcooper/hinterh...a%20vendre.htm

boat is located just outside Windsor, Ontario on the Detroit River
no relation to seller

Why pick that one over this ODay 28 on Martha's Vineyard?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8730 118&rd=1

There are incredible deals out there on boats this size because people
are mostly after something bigger and/or newer. Being in the right
place at the right time can make a big difference. My son bought a
fundamentally sound Newport 27 with smooth running Atomic 4 for
US$2225 last fall in Port Huron.

Ryk

DSK

Michael wrote:
Boat Buying Sailboat

I have been doing research on boat purchasing.

Working on a very obscure Ph.D thesis?

It has been suggested that the NADA values of boats are relative to
the asking price and not the actual selling price.

Don't think so, AFAIK it's based on the reported sale prices.

Many of the boats I have seen lack any detailing. Namely, it can be
seen by how clean the heads floor is.

Almost every single boat for sale will have been lacking in preventative
maintenance. It's the nature of the beast... but you want to look very
carefully at potential problems to avoid the nightmares that are
*definitely* out there.

Most boats at the 20 year mark probably need:

- rudder rebuild

Why? Bearing rebuild, maybe. If I suspected that a boat needed to have
the rudder itself rebuilt, I'd pass... even if it was free... unless the
boat had some really really special characteristics.

- standing rigging replacement

Again, why? Careful inspection... some boats will need standing rigging
replaced, but I don't believe in simply "changing out" stuff that's
perfectly good. One often hears about people replacing & up-sizing their
standing rigging... this is downright stupid, unless one believes that
the boat designer was a moron... in which case one should buy a
different boat!

- running rigging replacement

Yep. You'll need to replace running rigging every so often anyway. Don't
sweat it, just tot up the projected expense and subtract from your offer.

- bottom paint

Ditto above, except that you won't get far marking off the price for
this. It's a regular maintenance item.

- motor maintenance or replacement

If the motor is that bad, look for a different boat.

- battery replacement

Why? Again, not a big deal... get a smart charger if the boat doesn't
have one, and then go to a farm supply store for some truck/tractor
batteries. Not much money or hassle here.

- many have original sails

See above, same as running rigging. OTOH if a boat has 'original sails'
then it probably has not had other items replaced, maintained, or cared
for, and may indicate a boat best left alone. Sails are more expensive
that you'd believe.

- cushion replacement and uphostering

See above under "running rigging."

- port lights

??

The most signicant would be deck moisture or delamination. On a older
26 ft sailing crusier that needed a recore what would you figure as a
price of this repair and how much would or should it effect the
purchase price?

Free, or maybe they should pay you to take it off their hands.

How would you figure what the value of a boat was given the above or
combination thereof?

Would the cost be:
-what it would cost to have a third party do the work like the Yard

If you're not willing & able to do the work yourself, don't get a boat.
Seriously. Even a relatively small boat with some combination of the
above problems will keep you in penury to the end of your days, and
you'll spend far far more than the boat will ever conceivably be worth.

-would you figure what the cost of the parts are and not consider the
value of the work that you would do yourself.

Yes... although my own work is priceless, it's time spent on the boat
and thus is (mostly) recreation in itself.

How would you determine what the actual worth of the boat is?

By figuring how badly you want it... one way to compare is to look at
what else is on the market.

As a percentage, is there a standard that you would use to make an
offer less than asking price?

If the boat is cherry & is just what you want, 10% less. If there are
'issues' then it's roll yer own. A boat that's been on the market for a
long time may change hands for a tiny fraction of the original ask
price. Others simply get left for the boatyard to recycle.

If you get a remarkable deal, go with it.

The "deal of a lifetime" comes along about once a week.

prodigal1 wrote:
alright that's enough ;-) quite ****ing around
you want to buy a great old boat, buy this

http://www.clic.net/~dcooper/hinterh...a%20vendre.htm

boat is located just outside Windsor, Ontario on the Detroit River
no relation to seller

Seems like a nice boat, but isn't the price a bit steep?

Ryk wrote:
Why pick that one over this ODay 28 on Martha's Vineyard?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8730 118&rd=1

There are incredible deals out there on boats this size because people
are mostly after something bigger and/or newer.

You're kidding, right? It's true that the Hinterhoeller is a much nicer
& better built boat, but is it really 3 1/2 X nicer? Consider relative
costs.

OTOH the HR-28 might take less updating than the O'Day, and will
certainly fetch a higher price when you eventually sell it. I've seen
the case made that an older higher priced higher quality boat is
actually less expensive to own in the long run.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Michael

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 09:42:20 -0500, DSK wrote:

Michael wrote:
Boat Buying Sailboat

I have been doing research on boat purchasing.

Working on a very obscure Ph.D thesis?

Maybe due diligents? Certainly far from obscure

It has been suggested that the NADA values of boats are relative to
the asking price and not the actual selling price.

Don't think so, AFAIK it's based on the reported sale prices.

Many of the boats I have seen lack any detailing. Namely, it can be
seen by how clean the heads floor is.

Almost every single boat for sale will have been lacking in preventative
maintenance. It's the nature of the beast... but you want to look very
carefully at potential problems to avoid the nightmares that are
*definitely* out there.

Most boats at the 20 year mark probably need:

- rudder rebuild

Why? Bearing rebuild, maybe. If I suspected that a boat needed to have
the rudder itself rebuilt, I'd pass... even if it was free... unless the
boat had some really really special characteristics.

Many actually use bushings, although I believe that bearings also
exist.

Rudders probably get the most wear of any part of the boat even when
docked. Keel hung rudders have long been seen as a "blue water"
attribute, like full keels and heavy displacement. But they are
"unbalanced" require more effort, And dont lend themselfs to steering
in reverse well. A spade rudder is a considerably more of a rebuild
issue than any other style. I could think of many more siginificant
issues that would nix a purchase of a boat than a rudder rebuild.

Yard cost could range anywhere from $900-3,000

- standing rigging replacement

Again, why? Careful inspection... some boats will need standing rigging
replaced, but I don't believe in simply "changing out" stuff that's
perfectly good. One often hears about people replacing & up-sizing their
standing rigging... this is downright stupid, unless one believes that
the boat designer was a moron... in which case one should buy a
different boat!

Standing rigging has little to do with the designer and the reason to
replace it. One guy in New Zeland actully uses galvinized standing
rigging, that is in salt water, of course. Now that may seem stupid,
but:
1 the metal is suppose to be stronger (Brian Toss)
2 it will show signs of failure before actual failure
-cheaper to replace

3 inorder to keep it in good condition requires a heck of a lot of
maintenance with coatings

Many failure in the rigging actually are the clevis pins, tangs and
couplings not the actual wire itself.

- running rigging replacement

Yep. You'll need to replace running rigging every so often anyway. Don't
sweat it, just tot up the projected expense and subtract from your offer.

Yep. Cost estimate? guess$300-700 26ft'er depending on block
replacement

- bottom paint

Ditto above, except that you won't get far marking off the price for
this. It's a regular maintenance item.

If it is only anti-fouling yes. If it is osmosis repair - different
story. This is an issue that usually nixes a boat purchase in many
instances.

- motor maintenance or replacement

If the motor is that bad, look for a different boat.

If it is an inboard, ya look for a different boat as replacement costs
is $3,000-6,000 min.
I like the concept of outboards on sailboats. That are like a
saildrive, but not an actual saildrive but actually an outboard in a
lazerette. Repair, replacement is a lesser cost with an OB.

- battery replacement

Why? Again, not a big deal... get a smart charger if the boat doesn't
have one, and then go to a farm supply store for some truck/tractor
batteries. Not much money or hassle here.

If you want or need a 400aHr battery set probably over $400

- many have original sails

See above, same as running rigging. OTOH if a boat has 'original sails'
then it probably has not had other items replaced, maintained, or cared
for, and may indicate a boat best left alone. Sails are more expensive
that you'd believe.

Average working life of a sail? Yes they cost more than you think. A
new maint for a 26ft $1,100 plus

- cushion replacement and uphostering

See above under "running rigging."

I have seen costs of over $1,000 for this...

- port lights

??

The most signicant would be deck moisture or delamination. On a older
26 ft sailing crusier that needed a recore what would you figure as a
price of this repair and how much would or should it effect the
purchase price?

Free, or maybe they should pay you to take it off their hands.

Probably.....but it depends how extensive it is and if you like
working with fiberglass....this issue would qulaify as the ultimate
project boat. Problably one of the most siginificant deal nixer there
is. But some can be expected on any 20 year boat, and it seems (from
my research) many are willing to accept some degree of this issue.
Around the stanchions or hardware not too bad but full decks, forget
it.

How would you figure what the value of a boat was given the above or
combination thereof?

Would the cost be:
-what it would cost to have a third party do the work like the Yard

If you're not willing & able to do the work yourself, don't get a boat.
Seriously. Even a relatively small boat with some combination of the
above problems will keep you in penury to the end of your days, and
you'll spend far far more than the boat will ever conceivably be worth.

I guess it a decision between repairing or sailing and which you enjoy
more. Many thant bought boats didnt consider them "project boats" but
after 1- 1 1/2 years latter, that what they have become.

Yes many spend more than the boat will ever be worth like the H28 some
guy suggest in this thread. And I think that when it come time for
them to sell the boat they dont price it realistically. Based on
boats generally that H28, although it seems to have nice ammenties,
still the unseen price is probably 1/3 of the asking at best on a good
day. If it was a triton in bristol condition with a new inboard, the
current asking price might be close to being realistic. The guy
selling it just isnt realistic or not really interested in selling it,
he should read the info at the URL provided.

The URL provided for the boat buying process is par excelances...

-would you figure what the cost of the parts are and not consider the
value of the work that you would do yourself.

Yes... although my own work is priceless, it's time spent on the boat
and thus is (mostly) recreation in itself.

I wouldnt necessarly consider fiberglass, bottom jobs
recreation....many but not all would rather have purchased a boat
requiring less work in hindsight....my research shows...
Its sort of the girl friend time VS "quality time" thing

How would you determine what the actual worth of the boat is?

By figuring how badly you want it... one way to compare is to look at
what else is on the market.

Hummm...The way I see it is for the age of a boat in bristol condition
what would it be worth. Then reduce that by all the calculated hard
costs (parts) not including your labour, but including some specilized
labour (ie engine rebuilding, machining work, etc) then figure the
price. A boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Perceived condition is subjective in many instances.

As a percentage, is there a standard that you would use to make an
offer less than asking price?

If the boat is cherry & is just what you want, 10% less. If there are
'issues' then it's roll yer own. A boat that's been on the market for a
long time may change hands for a tiny fraction of the original ask
price. Others simply get left for the boatyard to recycle.

Likely....

If you get a remarkable deal, go with it.

The "deal of a lifetime" comes along about once a week.

Not so sure about that...survey say many look for at least 6 months
the average about 1 1/2 years before buying...

prodigal1 wrote:
alright that's enough ;-) quite ****ing around
you want to buy a great old boat, buy this

http://www.clic.net/~dcooper/hinterh...a%20vendre.htm

boat is located just outside Windsor, Ontario on the Detroit River
no relation to seller

Seems like a nice boat, but isn't the price a bit steep?

Not a serious seller....

Ryk wrote:
Why pick that one over this ODay 28 on Martha's Vineyard?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8730 118&rd=1

There are incredible deals out there on boats this size because people
are mostly after something bigger and/or newer.

You're kidding, right? It's true that the Hinterhoeller is a much nicer
& better built boat, but is it really 3 1/2 X nicer? Consider relative
costs.

OTOH the HR-28 might take less updating than the O'Day, and will
certainly fetch a higher price when you eventually sell it. I've seen
the case made that an older higher priced higher quality boat is
actually less expensive to own in the long run.

Fresh water VS sal****er boats.....
The HR28 a nice boat and design of its time although I dont like the
ballast to weight ratio, for an older boat a Triton or an Alberg would
be preferable to me.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

prodigal1

Michael wrote:
about the HR28
Not a serious seller....

oh it's serious and it'll sell for close to that
those who know, will look closely at such a boat
plus, if you spending $US, you'd get a %20 bonus these days

DSK

Michael wrote:
Maybe due diligents? Certainly far from obscure

The purchasing of a boat is relatively straighforward. One can (and
should IMHO) draw up a contract embodying the offer to buy the boat,
similar to a sale contract on a house. It should protect the interests
of both parties... the times I have drawn up such documents, of course I
have tended to slant it a bit more my own way, OTOH many brokers offer a
"standard contract" that is all but an open invitiation for him to pick
the buyer's pocket.

Perhaps you meant that you were researching *boats* with the possibility
of buying one yourself in the near future?

Most boats at the 20 year mark probably need:

- rudder rebuild

Why? Bearing rebuild, maybe. If I suspected that a boat needed to have
the rudder itself rebuilt, I'd pass... even if it was free... unless the
boat had some really really special characteristics.

Many actually use bushings, although I believe that bearings also
exist.

Bushings, bearings, tomatoes, tom-ah-tows... the question is what does
the boat you want have, and what shape are they in. Many boats have
rather fancy double-race needle bearings for the lower rudder post
"bushing." The loads here can be tremendous when sailing hard.

BTW one point in favor out outboard rudders is the strength & simplicity
of this configuration.

.... I could think of many more siginificant
issues that would nix a purchase of a boat than a rudder rebuild.

If that was the only thing with an otherwise perfect (for you) boat, sure.

Yard cost could range anywhere from $900-3,000

Again, IMHO is you can't do a job like this yourself you should be
considering buying the boat. If you don't have the knowledge, at the vey
least, how will you know if the boatyard does it *right*?

- standing rigging replacement

Standing rigging has little to do with the designer

???

Who do you think specifies the type, size, placement, etc etc?

What I had in mind is the excessively salty type who brags about
"upgrading" his standing rigging to the next larger size, because it so
macho to brag about sailing in high winds. The issue here is that 1-
rigging is sized to the boat's righting moment regadless of wind
strength and 2- heavier rigging will dregarde the boats performance and
3- because of the difficulty in getting the tensions correct, may
actually weaken the overall rig & bring down the mast.

Unless one has reason to believe that either the designer didn't know
what he doing, or the builder skimped, one should only replace standing
rigging with the same type & size.

... One guy in New Zeland actully uses galvinized standing
rigging,

A lot of people here use galvanized, too.

... Now that may seem stupid,
but:
1 the metal is suppose to be stronger (Brian Toss)

???

If the wire itself is slightly stronger, it's also less flexible and the
connections are correspondingly weaker.

2 it will show signs of failure before actual failure
-cheaper to replace

Much much cheaper... the only real advantage IMHO.

Many failure in the rigging actually are the clevis pins, tangs and
couplings not the actual wire itself.

Exactly.

- running rigging replacement

Yep. You'll need to replace running rigging every so often anyway. Don't
sweat it, just tot up the projected expense and subtract from your offer.

Yep. Cost estimate? guess$300-700 26ft'er depending on block
replacement

Shucks I've spent well more than that on a 19 footer... a racing boat,
to be sure...

- bottom paint

Ditto above, except that you won't get far marking off the price for
this. It's a regular maintenance item.

If it is only anti-fouling yes. If it is osmosis repair - different
story.

Blisters are not covered under "bottom paint." Blister repair can be
anything from minor annoyance to major structural nightmare.

I like the concept of outboards on sailboats.

I do too, up to a certain size. Beyond 26' it can be a problem both in
mass of the boat & pitching out the prop. But an outboard makes the boat
marvelously maneuveralbe (provided you can reach it handily to swivel it
around).

... That are like a
saildrive, but not an actual saildrive but actually an outboard in a
lazerette.

Every arrangement I've ever seen like this was a total PITA. Of course,
better arrangements may exist.

... Repair, replacement is a lesser cost with an OB.

Very true, but then risk of theivery or submergence or damage is higher;
reliability is often lower too.

- battery replacement

Why? Again, not a big deal... get a smart charger if the boat doesn't
have one, and then go to a farm supply store for some truck/tractor
batteries. Not much money or hassle here.

If you want or need a 400aHr battery set probably over $400

Not if you know where to shop. Besides, the battery itself is rarely the
problem with "dead batteries." What's the point in buying new batteries
if the wiring & charging are going to kill it again in short order?

Average working life of a sail?

Depends very much on the sail & usage. The hardest things for a sail to
endure are flogging or flapping, and UV exposure. A sail that is left
hoisted to slap around freely will be tatters in a few days. A sail that
is left uncovered... especially in the harsh Southern sun... will be
rotten in a few months if not weeks.

Personally, I am rather spoiled by having had very nice racing sails. I
hate seeing baggy blown out rags that kill the boat's pointing, give
excessive & erratic helm, and heel it way over. Sails that get regular
use should probably be replaced in 3 ~ 5 years.

Yes they cost more than you think. A
new maint for a 26ft $1,100 plus

The most signicant would be deck moisture or delamination. On a older
26 ft sailing crusier that needed a recore what would you figure as a
price of this repair and how much would or should it effect the
purchase price?

Free, or maybe they should pay you to take it off their hands.

Probably.....but it depends how extensive it is and if you like
working with fiberglass....

Does anybody really *like* working with fiberglass? I'm pretty good at
it myself (pardon a little bragging) but it is out of necessity, not
because I like it. I'd rather do wood work (which I'm not very good at)
or mechanical work any day.

....this issue (delamination or structural repair)
would qulaify as the ultimate
project boat. Problably one of the most siginificant deal nixer there
is. But some can be expected on any 20 year boat

Depends very much on the boat & it's care. IMHO many many boats will not
need significant fiberglass work... or structural work... in 40+ years
much less 20.

... and it seems (from
my research) many are willing to accept some degree of this issue.

Sure. Some people bought AMC Gremlins, too

I guess it a decision between repairing or sailing and which you enjoy
more.

And what your budget will allow. Many people badly underestimate the
cost of repairs & upgrades needed by a boat they're considering buying.

How would you determine what the actual worth of the boat is?

By figuring how badly you want it... one way to compare is to look at
what else is on the market.

Hummm...The way I see it is for the age of a boat in bristol condition
what would it be worth.

But that depends on the buyer, too. For example, I know a man who not
only paid an already high asking price, but also paid the owner/seller
handsomely to do some small upgrades & deliver the boat. This buyer had
a lot of money, was looking for a particular boat in great shape (it was
a nostalgia thing) and didn't have the time himself. He wanted to
recapture some happy memories of sailing and had the budget to indulge
himself. Later he decided it was too expensive, sold the boat at a big
loss, and now crews for other people when he has time to sail.

In my case, I have always bought bargain-basement boats for very cheap
(ie within my budget) and fixed them up myself. But it's really
sailing... both racing & cruising... with my family that I enjoy most.
It's the means to an end.

... A boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Perceived condition is subjective in many instances.

You have gained much wisdom

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Michael

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 10:00:10 -0400, DSK wrote:

Michael wrote:
[...]

Think "balanced" vs "unbalanced" rudders....power steering vs manual.

I am not aware of any production boat that was built with the bearings
you suggest. I though such beasts do exist for rudders..

I doubt that anyone has ever purchased a boat having everthing they
want - unless it is custom built and designed for them. Buying a boat
for most of us is a compromise...overall you may like the boat and
many aspects of it. For example a lead vs cast iron keel. Or a spade
rudder verses transom rudder, etc, etc.....

BTW one point in favor out outboard rudders is the strength & simplicity
of this configuration.

Or a keel hung rudder....

though these rudder..by design tend not to be "balanced" rudders when
the leading edge of the rudder is inline with the rudder shaft....

.... I could think of many more siginificant
issues that would nix a purchase of a boat than a rudder rebuild.

If that was the only thing with an otherwise perfect (for you) boat, sure.

Yard cost could range anywhere from $900-3,000

Again, IMHO is you can't do a job like this yourself you should be
considering buying the boat. If you don't have the knowledge, at the vey
least, how will you know if the boatyard does it *right*?

That can be said in virtually every situation and realm of anything
just not boats...

A wild guess is that 80% of boat owners dont know how to do this or
80% of any other work that may be required to be done, yet they own
boats. Probably why much maintanence is to attended to, amongest
other practical reasons.

- standing rigging replacement

Standing rigging has little to do with the designer

???

In terms of it replacement, sure designers initially determine the
original config. and I have yet to see anyone change that (from an
original design aspect). Very rarely would the design of the standing
rigging be changed on a production boat. Most riggers want the old
rigging to duplicate the new rigging.

Who do you think specifies the type, size, placement, etc etc?

Originally the designer, but that has nothing to do with the reason
per say of the replacement when replaced, Or the original design as
being the reason for the replacement.

What I had in mind is the excessively salty type who brags about
"upgrading" his standing rigging to the next larger size, because it so
macho to brag about sailing in high winds. The issue here is that 1-
rigging is sized to the boat's righting moment regadless of wind
strength and 2- heavier rigging will dregarde the boats performance and
3- because of the difficulty in getting the tensions correct, may
actually weaken the overall rig & bring down the mast.

The Guy who circumnavigated on a Cal 25 did upgrade the standing
rigging to 1/4" and did extensive mods...

Yes there are downsides to upgrading the standing rigging to a larger
size, one increment in size would not make a difference, negatively
and probably be more of a positive depending on its use.

Unless one has reason to believe that either the designer didn't know
what he doing, or the builder skimped, one should only replace standing
rigging with the same type & size.

Generally, yes, thats what pro riggers do. Although one increment
increase has no negative effect other than cost. But it is sort of
like determining what the thickness of the glass layup should be,a
definate cost determinate. Standard "practical rule" for anchors is
what ever the size is recommended go up one size.

How long should standing rigging last, at what point should you
consider its replacement?

... One guy in New Zeland actully uses galvinized standing
rigging,

A lot of people here use galvanized, too.

Here? Where?
I have personally have not seen any on a standard production boat
retro fitted with galvanized. But I do see the postive aspect of its
use. I would rather replace it more often at that cost than figure
the SS rigging will last as long as the rest of the boat.

... Now that may seem stupid,
but:
1 the metal is suppose to be stronger (Brian Toss)

???

If the wire itself is slightly stronger, it's also less flexible and the
connections are correspondingly weaker.

Not necessarly...rod rigging isnt meant to necessarly be flexible

2 it will show signs of failure before actual failure
-cheaper to replace

Much much cheaper... the only real advantage IMHO.

Many failure in the rigging actually are the clevis pins, tangs and
couplings not the actual wire itself.

Exactly.

- running rigging replacement

Yep. You'll need to replace running rigging every so often anyway. Don't
sweat it, just tot up the projected expense and subtract from your offer.

Yep. Cost estimate? guess$300-700 26ft'er depending on block
replacement

Shucks I've spent well more than that on a 19 footer... a racing boat,
to be sure...

Thats for a standard 26 production boat cruiser depending...

- bottom paint

Ditto above, except that you won't get far marking off the price for
this. It's a regular maintenance item.

If it is only anti-fouling yes. If it is osmosis repair - different
story.

Blisters are not covered under "bottom paint." Blister repair can be
anything from minor annoyance to major structural nightmare.

I like the concept of outboards on sailboats.

I do too, up to a certain size. Beyond 26' it can be a problem both in
mass of the boat & pitching out the prop. But an outboard makes the boat
marvelously maneuveralbe (provided you can reach it handily to swivel it
around).

Yes.

As far as I am concerned a saildrive unit is essentially an outboard
with more negatives. And there are enough boats over 26ft that have
them. And Outboards come in 15", 20" and 25". And outboard on a
transom over 26 is NG but in a lazarette still my pref. even over 26ft

... That are like a
saildrive, but not an actual saildrive but actually an outboard in a
lazerette.

Every arrangement I've ever seen like this was a total PITA. Of course,
better arrangements may exist.

That is my opinion with the outboard of the transom unless the transom
has a "U" provision (cutout) for the outboard.

... Repair, replacement is a lesser cost with an OB.

Very true, but then risk of theivery or submergence or damage is higher;
reliability is often lower too.

Point for the lazerrete config.....

[...]

Even if the damage to the deck is limited to points of hardware
attachment, that is fairly significant, although not compared to most
of the deck replacement. There probably isnt a single boat that does
not have core issues to some degree.

... and it seems (from
my research) many are willing to accept some degree of this issue.

Sure. Some people bought AMC Gremlins, too

I guess it a decision between repairing or sailing and which you enjoy
more.

And what your budget will allow. Many people badly underestimate the
cost of repairs & upgrades needed by a boat they're considering buying.

Seems that when I figure the "needs" the final cost is more than the
boat is worth....pretty standard. Boating is a pleasure that is like
a consumable, problem is that many dont see it that way when they sell
it. Like I refered to the URL for boat buying....says it all.

How would you determine what the actual worth of the boat is?

By figuring how badly you want it... one way to compare is to look at
what else is on the market.

Hummm...The way I see it is for the age of a boat in bristol condition
what would it be worth.

But that depends on the buyer, too. For example, I know a man who not
only paid an already high asking price, but also paid the owner/seller
handsomely to do some small upgrades & deliver the boat. This buyer had
a lot of money, was looking for a particular boat in great shape (it was
a nostalgia thing) and didn't have the time himself. He wanted to
recapture some happy memories of sailing and had the budget to indulge
himself. Later he decided it was too expensive, sold the boat at a big
loss, and now crews for other people when he has time to sail.

Not a common situation....

In my case, I have always bought bargain-basement boats for very cheap
(ie within my budget) and fixed them up myself. But it's really
sailing... both racing & cruising... with my family that I enjoy most.
It's the means to an end.

The economic advantage doesnt always outweight the practical downside,
mileage will vary....Boat repair can be a hobby to a degree.

... A boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Perceived condition is subjective in many instances.

You have gained much wisdom

Much so called "wisdom" is perception also:}}
"Genius is limited and stupidity is unlimited"

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Sailboat as powered cruiser? BllFs6 General 14 November 16th 04 04:15 PM
??? M.L. Browne General 0 May 17th 04 04:38 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum ASA 3 May 14th 04 04:36 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum General 0 May 14th 04 04:16 AM
Repost - this is so good it deserves to be read more than once Simple Simon ASA 12 October 20th 03 10:33 PM