engsol

Default Removing the old boat name

The old name on my boat is terrible, and I want to remove it.
It seems to be the vinyl stuff. Today I got the heat gun and
putty knife after it, followed by 3M's best. Marginal results
at best.
20 minutes later only one letter was 'kinda' removed.

Anyone have a "no kidding, this really works, and is fast!"
method? LOL..and one that won't turn me into a Super Fund Site?
Thanks
Norm B
Jim,

engsol wrote:
The old name on my boat is terrible, and I want to remove it.
It seems to be the vinyl stuff. Today I got the heat gun and
putty knife after it, followed by 3M's best. Marginal results
at best.
20 minutes later only one letter was 'kinda' removed.

Anyone have a "no kidding, this really works, and is fast!"
method? LOL..and one that won't turn me into a Super Fund Site?
Thanks
Norm B

Try WD40 -- peal back a little and let it work on the adhesive. You
probably will still have a "shadow" image where the hull has faded
around the numbers though.
Doug Dotson

I have seen on this forum a while back that something like
Easy-Off Oven Cleaner does a good job. I have no first
hand experience with this, but it was mentioned here.

Doug

"engsol" wrote in message
The old name on my boat is terrible, and I want to remove it.
It seems to be the vinyl stuff. Today I got the heat gun and
putty knife after it, followed by 3M's best. Marginal results
at best.
20 minutes later only one letter was 'kinda' removed.

Anyone have a "no kidding, this really works, and is fast!"
method? LOL..and one that won't turn me into a Super Fund Site?
Thanks
Norm B

renewontime dot com

engsol wrote:
The old name on my boat is terrible, and I want to remove it.
It seems to be the vinyl stuff. Today I got the heat gun and
putty knife after it, followed by 3M's best. Marginal results
at best.
20 minutes later only one letter was 'kinda' removed.

Anyone have a "no kidding, this really works, and is fast!"
method? LOL..and one that won't turn me into a Super Fund Site?
Thanks
Norm B

Hi Norm,

Are you sure it's vinyl? I've never had any problems removing vinyl
lettering in the past: used a sharp safety blade and scraped it off,
cleaning the remaining adhesive with "Goo-Gone". A heat gun should
loosen it, but be careful not to damage the hull in the process.
Vinyl's always been very easy to pull off. If you are absolutely sure
it's vinyl and not paint, is there anyway to track down the manufacturer
and find out what they recommend? Sounds unlikely though...

If it's paint, you can try oven cleaner, but make sure you try a test
patch first before you potentially ruin you boat's finish.

Last resort (if it's paint, and won't come off easily) is to sand,
primer and repaint the transom...

Or just learn to live with the boat's name. It isn't "Passing Wind" is
it? That's always been one of the worst boat names I've ever seen...

--

=-------------------------------------------------=
Renewontime
Peter HK

"renewontime dot com" wrote in message

Or just learn to live with the boat's name. It isn't "Passing Wind" is
it? That's always been one of the worst boat names I've ever seen...

--

I heard of "Dry Reaching" recently which is so bad it's almost a good one.

Peter HK

Jim Donohue

"Peter HK" wrote in message

"renewontime dot com" wrote in message

Or just learn to live with the boat's name. It isn't "Passing Wind" is
it? That's always been one of the worst boat names I've ever seen...

--

I heard of "Dry Reaching" recently which is so bad it's almost a good one.

Peter HK

Sailboat used to moor in front of friend in Two Harbors Catalina and
frequented by much eye candy....Blow Boat

John R. Campbell

On Jim Donohue wrote:
Peter HK wrote:
renewontime wrote:
Or just learn to live with the boat's name.
It isn't "Passing Wind" is it? That's always
been one of the worst boat names I've ever seen...

I heard of "Dry Reaching" recently which is so
bad it's almost a good one.

Sailboat used to moor in front of friend in Two
Harbors Catalina and frequented by much eye candy
... Blow Boat

Seen on the ericsonyachts.org site, about an E-25
re-bottoming for a lake in Texas, included a photo
of *another* E-25 named... "Blow Me". The VHF call
would be, well, rather amusing.

Mine? "Bob's Around", named for my dad who passed
away back in 2003... and who got me interested in
bending wind (like a sailor) rather than breaking
it (like a powerboater).

--
John R. Campbell Speaker to Machines soup at tampabay dot rr dot com
"Grace is sufficient so Joy was let go." - Heather L. Campbell
Rosalie B.

"Peter HK" wrote:

"renewontime dot com" wrote in message

Or just learn to live with the boat's name. It isn't "Passing Wind" is
it? That's always been one of the worst boat names I've ever seen...

--

I heard of "Dry Reaching" recently which is so bad it's almost a good one.

I think the worst name I've ever seen is "None of Your Business". I
can't conceive of how one would call the CG for help with a name like
that.

The next worst for me personally was what the PO named our boat
(Incorrigible), and a quick runner up was "Wet Dreams" a motor boat
who asked us for help in the Cape Fear River as we were sailing in
towards Bald Head. He didn't seem to be in any distress nor did he
communicate what he wanted (didn't seem to know how to use the radio
although it was working). I didn't feel that a boat with a name like
that was someone that I wanted to help although I would have called
the CG for him.. A local sailboat came to his aid.

grandma Rosalie

Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
What's a good sail boat to buy to live on? Wilfred Johnson Cruising 8 July 7th 04 01:57 AM