Jay

Default Speaker installation

So I finally found a set of speakers that seemed like a good enough deal and
they came in last week. I'm wondering if anyone has any input/experience
installing speakers. They aren't flush mount which needs I'll need to be
cutting a few holes... some of my curiosity lies in wondering if there's any
certain saw blades one should use for cutting fiberglass.... I was going to
just drill a few holes to start a hand jig saw... maybe tape up the area
with duck tape to avoid scratching.. other than that I didn't really know if
there was anything one should take precaution with.

Also, though they weigh a couple pounds each, should I worry much about
providing some of support to the backing... like a brace to dissipate weight
on the fiberglass walls?

TIA

-j

JimH

"Jay" wrote in message ...
So I finally found a set of speakers that seemed like a good enough deal
and they came in last week. I'm wondering if anyone has any
input/experience installing speakers. They aren't flush mount which needs
I'll need to be cutting a few holes... some of my curiosity lies in
wondering if there's any certain saw blades one should use for cutting
fiberglass.... I was going to just drill a few holes to start a hand jig
saw... maybe tape up the area with duck tape to avoid scratching.. other
than that I didn't really know if there was anything one should take
precaution with.

Also, though they weigh a couple pounds each, should I worry much about
providing some of support to the backing... like a brace to dissipate
weight on the fiberglass walls?

TIA

-j

Always cover the face of the cut/drill area with duct tape...it reduces the
likelihood of the gelcoat chipping.

You say these are not flushmount speakers so I assume they are already
installed in boxes and the brackets for the boxes are what you will be
attaching to the boat.

I would consider some sort of backing strap or plate the help support the
brackets. Large washers are another consideration.

Jeff Morris

Jay wrote:
So I finally found a set of speakers that seemed like a good enough deal and
they came in last week. I'm wondering if anyone has any input/experience
installing speakers. They aren't flush mount which needs I'll need to be
cutting a few holes... some of my curiosity lies in wondering if there's any
certain saw blades one should use for cutting fiberglass.... I was going to
just drill a few holes to start a hand jig saw... maybe tape up the area
with duck tape to avoid scratching.. other than that I didn't really know if
there was anything one should take precaution with.

I've used a RotoZip for this - much easier than a Sabre Saw. If its
simple glass it goes through it very quickly. Mine were in the cockpit
seats which had a 1/2 ply backing, so I went though 3 or 4 bits for both
holes. Tape the area with masking tape, draw your circle, and have a
helper with a vacuum to keep the dust down.

Also, though they weigh a couple pounds each, should I worry much about
providing some of support to the backing... like a brace to dissipate weight
on the fiberglass walls?

You shouldn't need support, but you could glass in some marine ply
before or after you make your hole.

Jay

Well, these ( http://tinyurl.com/692pp ) are the ones I got.

They'll be going on either side of the walkway to the open bow (at cruise
the two rears can't be heard at all, really.) I can climb under the dash on
either side with enough room to work, and water (though moisture might)
doesn't usually find it's way into that area..

-j

wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:03:14 -0500, "Jay" wrote:

[...]

Where on the boat are you installing them? Most speakers I've seen are
inappropriate for use in the cockpit, if that is what you are planning.
Unless
they have a sturdy and solid enclosure, they are strictly for inside the
cabin,
or maybe up high in a flying bridge. Speakers without enclosures in the
cockpit,
instantly become large holes for water to enter if the boat gets pooped.

BB

JimH

wrote in message
[...]

The link tells us nothing about the speakers other than that they *are*
flush mount.

No backing plate needed.

If they are exposed to the sun and sea spray I hope they are capable of
withstanding the long term effects...rubber surrounds and neoprene cones.

If not be prepared to be replacing them every year or two.

Sometimes cheap is not always the best deal.

Jay

Sorry, that was a bit uninformative..
They weigh about 2 or 3 pounds/piece. They didn't come with back braces,
and they would probably mount ok... my concern is the shock of slamming over
wakes over time, cracking the perimeter...

"Features: * Rubber surround * Magnetically Shielded * Weather-resistant
woofer * UV impregnated ABS heat-resistant weatherproof grilles * One-piece
formed ABS basket* Recommended amplifier power 10-60 watts RMS, 150 watts
Peak * Requires 3.45" of mounting depth and 5.63" cutout diameter * * Dual
Cone: Mylar * Cone: Polypropylene * Basket: Durable and light weight ABS
plastic"

wrote in message
[...]

JimH

As long as you are happy with them they sound fine for a marine
environerment.

Just mount them per the manufacturers instructions. No backing plate should
be needed. If you want additional insurance use extra large washers.

SSB Installation Jerry Peters Cruising 2 February 9th 05 04:01 PM
Trysail Track Installation JAWs Cruising 11 May 28th 04 03:24 PM
FS: Marine PA Speaker in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 March 31st 04 03:26 PM
vhf ext speaker mike hicks General 3 September 6th 03 03:30 PM