St. Pete Sailor

I have a 22 lb Delta that I've used on my 30 foot sloop for years and
which has saved my bacon on more than one occassion. I decided to get
another good anchor and went with a 33 lb. steel Spade that I bought
from Glen. I also have a danforth style West Anchor but I don't trust it
unattended or overnight because of resetting issues. My experience with
the Spade so far has been excellent and if, over time, it performs as
well or better than my Delta I will be very happy indeed.
Jeff Morris

Gordon wrote:
Try the ussailing.org site for lors of anchor testing stuff.

This is an interesting site, but I was always annoyed that they compared
the Delta 33 to the larger anchors. Its always hard to do apples to
apples comparisons, but this report ignores that fact that the target
boat, a 40 to 45 foot cruising sailboat, is near the high end of the
recommended range for a Delta 33. Saying that the 33 "fails" the test
for 63 knots ignores the fact that it is not rated for those conditions,
and clearly the Delta 44 would have had a much better chance of passing.
The 44 would have also set much easier in some of the problem areas.
Skipper

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:15:12 GMT, "St. Pete Sailor"
wrote:

I have a 22 lb Delta that I've used on my 30 foot sloop for years and
which has saved my bacon on more than one occassion. I decided to get
another good anchor and went with a 33 lb. steel Spade that I bought
from Glen. I also have a danforth style West Anchor but I don't trust it
unattended or overnight because of resetting issues. My experience with
the Spade so far has been excellent and if, over time, it performs as
well or better than my Delta I will be very happy indeed.

I like the look and feel of the Delta. I want to hear more from
users before I buy an 80 pounder.
Skipper

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:22:43 -0500, Jeff Morris
wrote:

Gordon wrote:
Try the ussailing.org site for lors of anchor testing stuff.

This is an interesting site, but I was always annoyed that they compared
the Delta 33 to the larger anchors. Its always hard to do apples to
apples comparisons, but this report ignores that fact that the target
boat, a 40 to 45 foot cruising sailboat, is near the high end of the
recommended range for a Delta 33. Saying that the 33 "fails" the test
for 63 knots ignores the fact that it is not rated for those conditions,
and clearly the Delta 44 would have had a much better chance of passing.
The 44 would have also set much easier in some of the problem areas.

Right. I wouldn't dream of leaving my 46' boat with a 33 pound
anchor. Even my Danforth is 40 pounds. My opinion of the right size
Delta is more like 80, with plenty of chain.
Sebastian Miles

I grew up sailing in the lower caribean(Colombia and Panama Coast). All my
life we had a Catalina 30. We used what I believe is called a plow. Since we
do get strong trade winds and strong storms my father bought one that was
slightly bigger. It worked in every condition and all types of floors. For
those who have known the coast of Panama, they know it has a season of
chocosanos. Lots of people have lost their boats there and we survived
through all of it after many years so that should be a good indication.
In my personal opinion its not about what type of anchor you get, its how
you use it. Make sure you give it lots of rope, the more the better. Avoid
dropping the chain on it. Make sure you give it a good tug in reverse to
make it ground itself. Another thing Ive learned is that after sailing so
much you become keenly aware of what is going on even when sleeping. A drop
of wind and a sudden drop in temperature(onset of a chocosano) or you can
even feel the boat drifting will wake you up.
Oh and always keep a spare around ready to be deployed.

Sebas

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I need to buy a couple anchors for use in Maine and have been reading
the reviews on CruiseNews.net.

Does anyone think there is a real world difference between the "best"
and above average in these tests? Often tests like that just tell you
what was best on that particular day and location.

I like the look of the traditional plow and have a bow roller for one.
Is there a compelling reason to go with a Bruce or a Spade?

The boat has a bow locker for a Danforth type so I'll probably go with
that for the lunch hook.

--

Roger Long