Roger Long

Default Anchor recommendations?

I need to buy a couple anchors for use in Maine and have been reading
the reviews on CruiseNews.net.

Does anyone think there is a real world difference between the "best"
and above average in these tests? Often tests like that just tell you
what was best on that particular day and location.

I like the look of the traditional plow and have a bow roller for one.
Is there a compelling reason to go with a Bruce or a Spade?

The boat has a bow locker for a Danforth type so I'll probably go with
that for the lunch hook.

--

Roger Long

Jeff Morris

Roger Long wrote:
I need to buy a couple anchors for use in Maine and have been reading
the reviews on CruiseNews.net.

Does anyone think there is a real world difference between the "best"
and above average in these tests? Often tests like that just tell you
what was best on that particular day and location.

I like the look of the traditional plow and have a bow roller for one.
Is there a compelling reason to go with a Bruce or a Spade?

The boat has a bow locker for a Danforth type so I'll probably go with
that for the lunch hook.

First question - does your boat have a windlass? If not, you want to
think carefully about the "heavier is better" school of anchoring technique.

For instance, a traditional 45 pound CQR will hold as well as a 35 pound
Delta, but is obviously somewhat more work to recover. Also the CQR has
trouble setting quickly in a hard bottom because it land on its side,
while a Delta land point down.

I've considered a Spade, but every time I get close I find a few reviews
that say the Spade is no better than a Delta, so I decide to wait. The
Bruce also has its supporters, but it is also rather heavy for its
holding power.

Danforth style anchors have tremendous holding power, set quickly on
many bottoms, and bury deeply in soft mud, but on other bottoms can
release and refuse to re-set. This is not a good primary anchor for the
Northeast, since you don't want to leave it unattended.

Here's my setup; Since I have a Catamaran, I went with the
"lightweight, high tech approach." This was after being advised by a
friend who has lived mostly at anchor for the last twenty years that if
I downsized I'd be happier. Since then I've found that the setup I use
has pretty standard among cat owners.

I use a 35# Delta as a primary, with 50 feet of chain, and 250# feet of
9/16 NE Ropes 3-strand nylon. As a secondary I use a Fortress FX23 (the
equivalent of a 23# Danforth, only 15 pounds) with only about 20 feet of
chain. This is used as a lunch hook or as second anchor. I also have a
spare Danforth and 2 extra rodes, plus a dinghy anchor.

One more thing to consider, especially if you don't have a windlass:
many anchoring problems arise because the skipper is unwilling to reset
the anchor if the first try doesn't end up where you want it, or if the
wind shifts, etc. When I had heavy gear (45 pound CQR, 90 feet of 3/8
chain) resetting was a major effort; now I do it perhaps a third of the
time that I anchor. If I don't like the spot, or if it drags when
backing under power, I just haul it up and reset. Since I started this
approach, I've never dragged, and never had a "midnight crisis."

How many times have you watched someone anchor upwind of you and then
drag down right beside you and refuse to move? Usually a comment, a
nasty look, or a crying baby will entice them to move, but with
lightweight gear, moving is an option.

One more thing - although using two anchors seemed complicated when I
started, its actually quite simple, and with a light Fortress its quick
and easy. The one weakness of the Delta (and many similar anchors) is
soft mud - in these cases the Fortress holds extremely well. Using the
two together guarantees you won't move, and allow you to anchor in
places with limited swinging room.

Yet another thing - don't buy the cheap imitations - get the real
version of whatever you choose. Use quality chain and New England Rope.

renewontime dot com

I like the look of the traditional plow and have a bow roller for one. Is
there a compelling reason to go with a Bruce or a Spade?

Hi Roger,

The type of anchor you choose should be mostly driven by the type of bottom
you expect to anchor in. Plow anchors are great in certain types of
bottoms, but not in all (like sand). As I'm sure you're aware, the size of
anchor is based on your vessels displacement, windage and "comfort level"
(ie., I always slept better knowing that I had a -big- anchor holding me in
place).

There have been a number of good anchor reviews written in "Practical
Sailor", and a thorough coverage of anchor selection in Dashiew's "Cruising
Encyclopedia" 2nd Ed. I'd get my hands on both of these, Dashiew's is
especially helpful.

A couple other topics you'll need to think about (if you haven't already) is
how much and what size chain, and how are you going to pick it up (ie. do
you have an anchor windlass?). Dashiew's book cover these topics as well.

For cruising the West coast and Hawaii, we decided on a Bruce with 50% chain
for our main system, a Fortress with about 25% chain for a lunch hook and a
big, heavy Danforth with 25% chain as a back up anchor. We mostly anchored
in sand, a bottom these anchors do very well in. Our boat was an ultralight
displacement former raceboat and very sensitive to weight placement, thus
the reason for no more than 50% chain on the main anchor (in the forward
locker).

--
Paul

=-----------------------------------=
renewontime dot com
FREE email reminder service for licensed mariners
http://www.renewontime.com
=-----------------------------------=

Ansley Sawyer

Roger,

I would like to support everything that Jeff has said. We sail a 39 foot
ketch in Maine and I have a few anchors aboard. My main anchor is a 35 lb
CQR but I love the Bruce. It sets faster than any other anchor I use. The
only caution is to figure out how the anchors will stow on the bow before
you buy one. Our Bruce will not set on the bow roller so the cqr is the
primary because the bow roller was built for it.

Cheers

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

Glenn Ashmore

"Roger Long" wrote .
I need to buy a couple anchors for use in Maine and have been reading
the reviews on CruiseNews.net.

Does anyone think there is a real world difference between the "best"
and above average in these tests? Often tests like that just tell you
what was best on that particular day and location.

I like the look of the traditional plow and have a bow roller for one.
Is there a compelling reason to go with a Bruce or a Spade?

It is never a good idea to have two anchors of the same pattern. I sell
Spades but I am putting a CQR on the second roller.

In the New England area I would sugggest either a CQR or a steel Spade. The
Bruce sets very easily but it just doesn't have the holding power. The
Spade sets very reliably if you let it settle a few seconds before putting
any tension on the rode and resets quickly on its own. Which is kinda
counter intuitive as it is usually under tension when it resets. (I haven't
figured that out yet.) It realigns extremely well IF you use a proper size
model. The CQR doesn't have quite the holding power of the Spade in most
bottoms but it seems to perform a little better in soft mud.

My customers must like their Spades as I offer 30 day return privileges for
any reason and after more than 200 anchors nobody has returned one yet.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

just me

What about the "buegel" (sp) anchor. I've been hearing alot of good things
about them. Widely used in Europe and now available in the states.

Jay

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

"Roger Long" wrote .
[...]

Lyn & Tony

We have a 42' ketch that we have sailed the east coast of Australia
and are now in Phuket. We use the Brugel (25 Kg) as our primary anchor
and it is great to use. Sets quickly, resets the same and easy to stow
as it has no moving parts. We even had a second one made in Aust. All
up we carry 4 anchors, 2 Brugels, 1 Danforth and a plough. The only
time we have had a problem is anchoring in silt at the mouth of a
river.
Tony
S/V Ambrosia

Wayne.B

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:55:44 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:
I like the look of the traditional plow and have a bow roller for one.
Is there a compelling reason to go with a Bruce or a Spade?

The boat has a bow locker for a Danforth type so I'll probably go with
that for the lunch hook.

Both the Bruce and Spade are significantly easier to set than a plow,
and are more likely to reset if disrupted in my experience. The Bruce
has a reputation for creeping under heavy load but I have not
personally experienced this. I used a 44 lb Spade on my last boat and
hold it in very high regard. A 120 lb Spade is on order for the new
boat and will replace a 65 lb Bruce as primary anchor. The Bruce has
given no cause for concern but since the boat weighs 60,000 lbs fully
loaded, I'd like a heavier anchor.

The Danforth is fine as a lunch hook, or anywhere with a mud or sand
bottom. Use at least 5 to 1 scope, more if the wind is blowing hard.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 08:52:14 -0500, Jeff Morris
wrote:

I've considered a Spade, but every time I get close I find a few reviews
that say the Spade is no better than a Delta, so I decide to wait.

I disagree on that one. I replaced a Delta plow with a comparable
weight Spade on my old boat and never even thought about going back.
I still have the Delta if you'd like to buy it. The Spade you will
have to pry from my fingers.

Paul Revere

In article , "just me" wrote:
What about the "buegel" (sp) anchor. I've been hearing alot of good things
about them. Widely used in Europe and now available in the states.

Jay

Jay, for info on the Buegel Anchor try:

http://www.inter-yacht.com/Buegel/BuegelIntro.html