Skipper

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 07:04:38 -0600, "just me"
wrote:

You might want to take a look at item #4524695234 on Ebay!

It is either not a CQR or it is not 316 stainless steel. Stainless
steel anchors that look like a CQR are very expensive anchors.
Roger Long

Here's the review:

http://www.multihullsmag.com/magazin...cles/delta.htm

I just got back from the marine supply store where I put a CQR and a
Delta of the same weight side by side. It is very convincing. All
the weight of the Delta is digging it in whereas the hinged shank of
the CQR is actually relieving the weight on the tip. Furthermore,
handling both, I realized what a pain it would be to have the head of
the CQR flopping around.

There was also an aluminum Spade of the same size but quite a bit
lighter, of course. It had about the same fluke area. I'm sorry
Glen, I really like your web site but it just doesn't feel like an
anchor to me. I probably would like the steel version better. If I
had a weight sensitive boat, it would be the way to go. The Delta
feels enormously reassuring just to pick up and hold. The Bruce's
just didn't grab me although I'm sure they can grab other things.

--

Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I'm swinging (no pun) to the Delta. I read a review (sorry, forgot
to save the link) by someone who compared it to the CQR over a long
trip. As a designer, I found one point (again, no pun) compelling.
The hinge isolates much of the anchor weight of the CQR from
pressing the tip down. It also makes the anchor more of a pain to
handle.

The very experienced builders of these boats

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Challenger_Class.HTM

love the Bruce and we put one on the last one.

I'll probably get a Spade when I finally head off for Newfoundland
but money is flying out the door right now equipping this boat and
the Delta looks like a good compromise. I'm one of those people who
take a lot of care setting my anchors so the easy set of the Bruce
isn't as compelling.

--

Roger Long

Skipper

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:33:27 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Here's the review:

*snip!
The Delta
feels enormously reassuring just to pick up and hold. The Bruce's
just didn't grab me although I'm sure they can grab other things.

I like the look and feel of the Delta. I might get an 85 pound
Delta instaed of a CQR. My Bruce does grab and has never failed to
set. The Bruce design was made to dig in and set within twice its
length. I like the Bruce.
In soft mud I would use a Fortress or Danforth. Anything else, a
Bruce or a plow-type.

Skipper

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 15:33:46 -0500, rhys wrote:

Hence the term "lunch". In my case, that's a 15 lb Danforth on 7 to 1
scope, with a 5/8" nylon rode. My main anchor is a 15 kg. Bruce on 200
feet of nylon with 20 feet of chain and a kedge if necessary and a big
old yachtsman's if something goes wrong and I drop the Danforth (which
is an alternate stern anchor).

My boat's 33 feet and 10,000 lbs. loaded. Why the hell would you leave
the boat when you've got just the "lunch" hook deployed? Leaving the
boat implies "shore hook" or "every hook because I'm not aboard to
check my anchors" .

I started with a 23' sloop and used an anchor rated for your boat.
I have never dragged and I have slept through several storms in
comfort.
Tamaroak

I bought one of those from Glenn, an A-80 and have used it extensively
up and back from the Inside Passage, Florida and Lake Superior. I
dragged once in Florida when it balled up a bunch of weeds and couldn't
get down into the good stuff to set.

As Glenn mentioned, its only peculiarity is that it likes to find its
own way into the bottom, so give it a little time before you back down
on it.

Capt. Jeff
Wayne.B

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:40:53 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I'm swinging (no pun) to the Delta. I read a review (sorry, forgot to
save the link) by someone who compared it to the CQR over a long trip.

I have a 44# Delta that I'm willing to sell if you are interested
(excellent condition).

Drop me a note and we can work out the details.

Evan Gatehouse

Roger Long wrote:
I'm swinging (no pun) to the Delta. I read a review (sorry, forgot to
save the link) by someone who compared it to the CQR over a long trip.
As a designer, I found one point (again, no pun) compelling. The
hinge isolates much of the anchor weight of the CQR from pressing the
tip down. It also makes the anchor more of a pain to handle.

My experience:

35# CQR - o.k. holding power but not great

35# Delta - much better holding power than the CQR, better setting.
Not good in mud where the CQR seemed to do better. Held our 30'
rather high windage cutter in winds so strong that my wife and I had
to yell into each other's ears from 6" away to be heard.

I don't know how hard it was blowing but it was _lots_ more than 40
knots. (I've sat at anchor in 40 knots on same anchor with other
boats beside me reporting windspeed on their anemometers and it was
not blowing anything near that hard). The spray off the ocean with
very short fetch (a few miles) was spreader high.

33# Bruce - limited holding but very fast set. I've seen people drag
*twice* with a Bruce and literally pull them up with a nice bowling
ball size rock jammed in the flukes. I've got one on my new boat now
and don't trust it.

Avoid anchoring near the kelp up there with any anchor! Have a fun trip.

Evan Gatehouse

In a gale you sometimes don't have time to row out a 2nd anchor if the
wind rises fast enough.

Evan Gatehouse