Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:55:44 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I need to buy a couple anchors for use in Maine and have been reading
the reviews on CruiseNews.net.

Does anyone think there is a real world difference between the "best"
and above average in these tests? Often tests like that just tell you
what was best on that particular day and location.

I like the look of the traditional plow and have a bow roller for one.
Is there a compelling reason to go with a Bruce or a Spade?

The boat has a bow locker for a Danforth type so I'll probably go with
that for the lunch hook.

I have been anchoring in Maine for 25 seasons and have found danforth
types (Fortress now) ideal for the usual clay bottoms. Occasionally a
weedy cover requires retrying, but not often.

Duck Harbor on Isle au Haut has a rocky bottom where a Luke or the
like would be wanted if you had one.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Does one child rape really change Strom Thurmond's lifetime record?
For better or worse?
Skipper

wrote:

I need to buy a couple anchors for use in Maine and have been reading
the reviews on CruiseNews.net.

Does anyone think there is a real world difference between the "best"
and above average in these tests? Often tests like that just tell you
what was best on that particular day and location.

I like the look of the traditional plow and have a bow roller for one.
Is there a compelling reason to go with a Bruce or a Spade?

The boat has a bow locker for a Danforth type so I'll probably go with
that for the lunch hook.

Do you have a windlass? I have a comment about the "lunch hook"
concept. I always use my main anchor, no matter. Whether I think I am
there for 10 minutes or 2 weeks, I use the REAL anchor. That way, I am
never going somewhere else for 5 minutes and worrying about my boat.
Get a windlass. Get a chain rode. Use your big anchor. If all chain
is not appropriate, use a snubber.

I love the Bruce. I have a 66 pound (the largest in our marina)
Bruce and all chain rode. It has never failed to set. Thousands od
cruisers use a CQR and they can depend upon it. The Luke has a good
reputation for difficult areas or deep anchorages.

Get the biggest anchor you can carry and a windlass to handle it.
Your ground tackle is the most important system on your boat. If it
fails, you lose your boat. Make it the best you can carry and use it.
Roger Long

My boat is only 32 feet and not set up for chain storage or windlass
installation. I'll have to with 25 - 50 feet of chain and nylon. I
have a few pear shaped lead weights of about 20 pounds with holes
through them. I'm going to run a short line with a snap shackle
through one. I'll keep it in the bilge and, if ever faced with a
really dire holding situation, hook it onto the end of the chain.

I've always dealt with tough anchor pulls by taking the nylon rode
around a halyard winch. I wouldn't ride to it for obvious reasons but
it makes pulling the boat up to the anchor if I can't or don't want to
start the engine a lot easier.

--

Roger Long

Roger Long

I've read through all the reviews and replies. I'm going to put a
Spade on my wish list of stuff to buy for that cruise to Newfoundland.
In the meantime I think a CQR, which the boat is already set up for,
is probably my best choice.

Is there any significant difference between the genuine CQR (which is
still more than I want to spend in the same year we paid for the boat)
and the Kingston or Sascot versions?

--

Roger Long

Skipper

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 03:13:32 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I've read through all the reviews and replies. I'm going to put a
Spade on my wish list of stuff to buy for that cruise to Newfoundland.
In the meantime I think a CQR, which the boat is already set up for,
is probably my best choice.

Is there any significant difference between the genuine CQR (which is
still more than I want to spend in the same year we paid for the boat)
and the Kingston or Sascot versions?

I have not heard anything bad about these new versions. Whatever
anchor you get, get oversize and use plenty of chain. Do not use
connecting links in your chain. Most chain failures are due to a "weak
link" from using a connecting link. Use only a shackle rated at least
as strong as your chain.
Remember that your ground tackle is the system that lets you sleep
in comfort. It's not your mattress or your heater that really gives
you comfort during the night; it's your anchor and rode.
Skipper

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 02:07:14 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

My boat is only 32 feet and not set up for chain storage or windlass
installation. I'll have to with 25 - 50 feet of chain and nylon. I
have a few pear shaped lead weights of about 20 pounds with holes
through them. I'm going to run a short line with a snap shackle
through one. I'll keep it in the bilge and, if ever faced with a
really dire holding situation, hook it onto the end of the chain.

I've always dealt with tough anchor pulls by taking the nylon rode
around a halyard winch. I wouldn't ride to it for obvious reasons but
it makes pulling the boat up to the anchor if I can't or don't want to
start the engine a lot easier.

I used a primary (sheet) winch before I installed a big Maxwell
windlass. It has a good capstan for line rodes in addition to the
chain gypsy.

Gordon Wedman

wrote:

[...]

Well this prompts me to put in a plug for the Bruce. Every test I've read
shows that the Bruce anchor resets itself 100% of the time and quickly. If
the wind swings around 180 degrees while you are sleeping this could be
rather important. The only downside on the Bruce is the modest holding
power. In the real world I'm not sure how important this is. If you are
going to ride out a gale you will probably want to set an second anchor .

Roger Long

I'm swinging (no pun) to the Delta. I read a review (sorry, forgot to
save the link) by someone who compared it to the CQR over a long trip.
As a designer, I found one point (again, no pun) compelling. The
hinge isolates much of the anchor weight of the CQR from pressing the
tip down. It also makes the anchor more of a pain to handle.

The very experienced builders of these boats

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Challenger_Class.HTM

love the Bruce and we put one on the last one.

I'll probably get a Spade when I finally head off for Newfoundland but
money is flying out the door right now equipping this boat and the
Delta looks like a good compromise. I'm one of those people who take
a lot of care setting my anchors so the easy set of the Bruce isn't as
compelling.

--

Roger Long

rhys

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:50:52 -0800, Skipper
wrote:

Do you have a windlass? I have a comment about the "lunch hook"
concept. I always use my main anchor, no matter. Whether I think I am
there for 10 minutes or 2 weeks, I use the REAL anchor. That way, I am
never going somewhere else for 5 minutes and worrying about my boat.

Can't argue with your logic or experience. However, I have always
interpreted the phrase "lunch hook" as "the anchor you put down on a
light-air day in a bay or off a beach when you want to read a book and
have some sandwiches under the bimini".

Hence the term "lunch". In my case, that's a 15 lb Danforth on 7 to 1
scope, with a 5/8" nylon rode. My main anchor is a 15 kg. Bruce on 200
feet of nylon with 20 feet of chain and a kedge if necessary and a big
old yachtsman's if something goes wrong and I drop the Danforth (which
is an alternate stern anchor).

My boat's 33 feet and 10,000 lbs. loaded. Why the hell would you leave
the boat when you've got just the "lunch" hook deployed? Leaving the
boat implies "shore hook" or "every hook because I'm not aboard to
check my anchors" .

Get a windlass. Get a chain rode. Use your big anchor. If all chain
is not appropriate, use a snubber.

You can also provision for chafe gear on deck and a snubber in the
form of a hitched on line to a second cleat.

R.