Larry W4CSC

Rosalie B. wrote in
:

Charleston Harbor Marina (on the Cooper River in Patriot's Point/Mt.
Pleasant) has a free wifi network that I can get in my boat in the
marina. Don't know about anchoring though.

Over on alt.binaries.pictures.erotica there is a series of pictures of a
very-nice-looking woman about 35-40, nude, taken at Charleston Harbor
Marina in darkness with flash, I'd guess. Some of the pictures were taken
at the sailfish fountain when there was a Scout Boats exhibit behind that
fountain, so I suspect it happened during the boat show....??? Another
picture, the one that got my curiosity up and pointed to CHM was one taken
at the head of the floating dock ramp. To the right of the ramp is the
sign for Palmetto Charters, a dead giveaway of where it was. There's
another nudie pix taken on a concrete floating dock next to a sailboat with
three distinctive fenders....one blue tubular one, one bright red ball-type
and one dull red ball type, which should put you to the right boat if it
hasn't moved on down the ICW. The boat looks like a 30-40' cruiser of come
kind.

I've sent the now-former Ashley Marina party boys I know the pictures but
noone seems to know her....(c;

I always thought Charleston Harbor Marina was less of a party dock, but my
views, obviously, were incorrect....hee hee.

Nicely shaved and shaped, she should be very popular over there!

Think I should forward them to the marina office?....(c; They could use
them for promos if they get permission from www.voyeurweb.com, whos
overlaid webpage address is in the middle of every one.

Doug Dotson

Are you referring to analog cellular vs digital cellular?

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

On my phone the data cable plugs into the same jack as the battery
charger. Plugs into a USB port on the computer. Always indicates
the connect at 115K baud. Phone is a SANYO SCP-5300 using
Sprint.

Doug
s/v Callista

One note of caution here folks.......Just remeber that SOME folks
don't know the difference between Cellular Phones, and PCS Phones,
and the difference in distance from the Cellsites between the two
ARE significant. Also the differences between the two for DATA Services
are ALSO Extremely significant.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Larry W4CSC

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in
:

Are you referring to analog cellular vs digital cellular?

I suspect he was refering to the difference between the 800 Mhz cellular
system, the original, with the 1900 Mhz PCS second system. 1900 Mhz phones
only run 150-200mw, now, and have a range on that line-of-sight frequency
of only 1-2 miles under the best conditions. They are useless just beyond
the beach.

The old 800 Mhz system is also becoming more useless. To increase call
volume per square mile, 800 Mhz cellular companies invented digital phones
where up to 24 phones could "share" one frequency, in one time division
scheme or another. The phone's transmitters started out at 3 watts on FM
Radio, the old AMPS analog system. This works best on a boat as it has
RANGE, especially if you have an external antenna atop the mast. But, the
cellular companies added more and more tiny cells between the old 500'
towers and moved the 500' antennas down the towers to 100' to prevent the
tiny 200 mw phones from capturing too many cells, which reduces revenues
and call volume per square mile. So, now the big towers you could get with
a big antenna and 3 watts on AMPS 50 miles offshore, now only go about 5
miles, even with a 3 watt bagphone and a big antenna. The cell antennas
are pointed DOWN to cover a little area around them, not OUT for maximum
range like they used to be.

Way out in rural Alaska, I presume, cell antennas are still at very high
altitudes for maximum range. In CONUS, this is no longer true.

1900 Mhz phones are all very short ranged by designed with lots of little
cells on "stick" towers only on buildings or small poles. Range has never
been a bright point, which is why they don't work in the country away from
the interstates that have towers every 3-4 miles.

Bruce in Alaska

[...]

Well actually there are three different things that all are commonly
called Cellular.

1. Analog 800Mhz Cellular
2. Digital 800Mhz Cellular
3. PCS 1800 Mhz Cellular

Where most folks get confused is between 2 & 3. All those fancy
CameraPhones are usually PCS Systems, as they need the bandwidth
to do all that fancy stuff. Analog Cellular is really on its way
out as it takes up to much bandwidth, but is still around as a
Legacy Mode, and must be supported for a while yet. PCS requires
MANY more cellsites to cover the same are, as its range is significantly
less, due to the frequency and portable antenna system requirements.
We, up here in alaska, will not get PCS added to our cellsites
untill later this summer, and the practical considerations will not
be condusive to it actually working very well, as our cells are
VERY LARGE (40 Miles diameter) compared to normal City Type Cells.
In anticipation of PCS coming online, I just bought a really nice
Celwave PCS Panel Base Antenna that will be going up on my tower.
I alsoi am doing the research on an Bidirectional Amplifier to
boost my PCS signal up to the allowed 3 Watts. It is going to
take that much, as the cellsite is 16 miles away, over water.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Larry W4CSC wrote:

[...]

Exactly

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Larry W4CSC

Bruce in Alaska wrote in news:bruceg-
:

I just bought a really nice
Celwave PCS Panel Base Antenna that will be going up on my tower.
I alsoi am doing the research on an Bidirectional Amplifier to
boost my PCS signal up to the allowed 3 Watts. It is going to
take that much, as the cellsite is 16 miles away, over water.

Bruce in alaska

The 1900 Mhz PCS power limit is 2W, but that's matters not. PCS tower
antennas are all pointed DOWN to reduce that cell hearing anything over 2
miles away. Look at the panels on the little PCS towers and note the
downward tilt on them. Even at 2W, 1900 Mhz isn't going to make it over a
couple of miles with any reliability. They're counting on that to reduce
the number of cells any one phone occupies to increase revenue-per-square-
mile, the only thing the companies are interested in.

The 3W AMPS (analog) bagphone with a nice 800 Mhz trunk beam antenna works
best. My DB Products 11-element end-mounted little beam gives me about 24
watts ERP, which probably isn't legal, either. (If Rick is watching, he'll
let us know as he's the real expert, here.) I can be way out in the
country and have perfect calls to towers far away, even through the trees.
It doesn't work near as good as my IMTS "Carphone" running 50W on 152Mhz
used to do, but it's more acceptable than a toyphone puts out.
Unfortunately, one of my competitors, also a ham radio operator, was caught
red-handed (the idiot left a message on a customer's answering machine
tape) listening to my business conversations. So, I had to go back to CDMA
to prevent his snooping into my business, trying to ruin it.

There's a lot of really cheap IMTS phones and equipment still laying in
warehouses noone wants. If the commercial boaters in an area had enough
interest and pooled resources, I don't see why they couldn't get one up and
running on a mountaintop somewhere. That thing would normally go out 50-
100 miles, further when temperature inversions happen. After the initial
outlay, the group would have one or just a few landlines to pay for plus a
little maintenance.