riverman

Default Next year's trip Wish List

I'm facing a voluntary year off from work (no one ever died wishing
they'd worked another year, eh?) and one of the things I most want to
do as I reacquaint myself with North America is to revisit some rivers
that I have fond memories of from my younger days, and to do some new
rivers with some friends from rbp and rbpt. Its approaching time to
start filling in the large spots in my calendar so that I can make my
year off as rewarding as possible, so here is my wish list of rivers I
would love to redo. If anyone has any trips on any of these and is
looking for another experienced boater to come along (20+ years in
tripping canoes and rafts. Sorry, no kayaking skills), contact me and
we can talk. Likewise, if anyone else (railtramp, Larry, Mike, yakmom,
mothra, Wilko....) have any trips planned anywhere with space on them,
let me know; I'm interested in joining.

My Wish List for August 2004 to August 2005)
Grand Canyon
Deso/Gray
Verde (CV to Sheep Bridge)
San Juan
Rio Grande lower canyons
West Branch Penobscot (Lobster Lake to Rip Dam)
East Branch Penobscot
Machias (including the Lakes)
St Croix (from above Orient)
Allagash
St. John
Rogue
John Day
Main Salmon
MidFork Salmon
Eastern Canada water, like the Godbout, Bonadventure, Cascapedia,
Matapedia
Central Canada water, something remote that flows into Hudson's Bay
Northern Canada warer, something really remote for few weeks.

Anyone planning a trip and got room on a trip for an old boater with
some time to spare? :-)

--riverman
Wilko

riverman wrote:
I'm facing a voluntary year off from work (no one ever died wishing
they'd worked another year, eh?)

Interesting idea!

Sorry, no kayaking skills), contact me and
we can talk. Likewise, if anyone else (railtramp, Larry, Mike, yakmom,
mothra, Wilko....) have any trips planned anywhere with space on them,
let me know; I'm interested in joining.

snip

Anyone planning a trip and got room on a trip for an old boater with
some time to spare? :-)

You're more than welcome to join any of the paddling trips I'm
organising, but I haven't planned anything as far ahead yet as August
2004...

When it coms to having no kayaking skills, you're more than welcome to
join me in the Topo-Duo. A nice roomy tandem white water kayak that I'll
manage to control pretty well on most stuff up to class III/IV.

I got rid of that Invader that I made you feel so uncomfortable in... :-)

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilko(a@t dse d.o.t)nl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe

Chris Walters

Wilko wrote:

I got rid of that Invader that I made you feel so uncomfortable in...
:-)

Gutted - not the purple one we donated?

Belated happy new year to all RBPers past and present.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Walters
Hungerford, UK

Mike McCrea

Riverman,

Shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you our schedule of trips for '04.
Who knows, maybe our travel plans will cooincide at some point.

We *may* be heading to the WB Penobscot this summer ourselves; the
only trip we haven't yet scheduled or picked a place for is our July
trip north.

Mike
Wilko

Chris Walters wrote:
Wilko wrote:

I got rid of that Invader that I made you feel so uncomfortable in...
:-)

Gutted - not the purple one we donated?

blush :-)

Yep, that one: It's now being used (by the local student paddling club)
instead of gathering dust in my shack. I thought that would be a more
appropriate place for it (besides, after buying my latest kayak the
shack was so full my bicycle couldn't fit in there any more).

Belated happy new year to all RBPers past and present.

Ditto!

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilko(a@t dse d.o.t)nl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe
Look at the possibilities, don't worry about the limitations.
http://wilko.webzone.ru/

Carey Robson

North America is a big place.
____________________________
Sincerely,
Carey Robson -- www.CanoeBC.ca

"riverman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

riverman

"Carey Robson" wrote in message
North America is a big place.
____________________________
Sincerely,
Carey Robson -- www.CanoeBC.ca

Sure is! So many rivers, so little time.... :-)

--riverman

Chris Walters

Wilko wrote:

Gutted - not the purple one we donated?

blush :-)

Yep, that one: It's now being used (by the local student paddling
club) instead of gathering dust in my shack. I thought that would be
a more appropriate place for it (besides, after buying my latest
kayak the shack was so full my bicycle couldn't fit in there any
more).

Pleased to see it's being used - that's one better than our kayaks at the
moment :-(

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Walters
Hungerford, UK

Wilko

Chris Walters wrote:

Wilko wrote:

Yep, that one: It's now being used (by the local student paddling
club) instead of gathering dust in my shack. I thought that would be
a more appropriate place for it (besides, after buying my latest
kayak the shack was so full my bicycle couldn't fit in there any
more).

Pleased to see it's being used - that's one better than our kayaks at the
moment :-(

I thought it would be more in the spirit of the gift as well as the
spirit of kayaking to give a perfectly useful albeit dated design kayak
to someone who will use it than to have it among the herd of kayaks that
I have accumulated. The students could use it, considering that their
fleet suffered some fatalities:

http://wilko.webzone.ru/wreck-1.jpg

My boats have seen a decent amount of water, although I spent slightly
less days on the water in 2003 than in previous years. The water levels
in the autumn and winter sure played a prominent role... but alas many
of my once regular paddling buddies have changed their priorities after
getting married and getting kids. For example, Niels and Steven have
paddled maybe once in the past six months.

Fortunately I have found a bunch of other fun people to paddle with. I
got to paddle with a German group for the first time on the upper Rur
(Germany) on Saturday, and with a mixed (Dutch, British and German)
group on the upper Lesse (Belgium) on Sunday. I hope to get to paddle in
the Czech republic this coming weekend, although with a weather forecast
of -12 degrees C, the water might be a bit to hard to paddle through.
We'll see... :-)

Come to think of it: Isn't Alex getting to be the age where going on the
water as a family could be fun? Maybe with one of you in the Topo-Duo
with Alex and the other in a solo kayak...

Wilko