Default Galveston to Pensacola assistaned wanted

My wife and I will be bringing our new (to us) sailboat back to
Pensacola from Galveston around the end of March. As we have never
made this trip before (we intend to go ICW) we would be interestd in
hearing from those who have. Of particular concern is the transit
through New Orleans. Any tip you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Grant & Christie Ziebell
Pensacola, FL

David&Joan

Grant:

Some years ago I read an account of a very articulate cruiser who took the
ICW from Galveston Bay to the Florida panhandle. His conclusion- never again
will he go inside. As I recall, the ICW had no marinas along the way and in
most times of the year the mosquitos will eat you alive at anchorage (which
weren't too easy to come by anyway). So as Larry has challenged- sail
outside in your sailboat.

David
wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife and I will be bringing our new (to us) sailboat back to
Pensacola from Galveston around the end of March. As we have never
made this trip before (we intend to go ICW) we would be interestd in
hearing from those who have. Of particular concern is the transit
through New Orleans. Any tip you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Grant & Christie Ziebell
Pensacola, FL

Rick Morel

The best tip is find a place to anchor or tie up before dark. If you
find one "early", it's best to use it. Don't be afraid to ask the
tugboat skippers if there's anything nearby. They'll gladly tell you.
In fact they can be very helpful.

I've done the New Iberia, LA / Pensacola, FL run quite a few times;
once from Port Arthur, TX to New Iberia.

Don't sweat New Orleans. Try to hit the Harvey lock early in the day;
enjoy the run downriver, pass the River Walk, to the Inner Harbor Nav
Canal and lock.

Email me if you want more info. Garmin waypoints?

Rick