JR Gilbreath

Hi Dick
I have a Marinetek Waypointer Loran C that is missing the antenna.
If any of the electronic experts that have replied to you can tell us if
they will match up I would like to have it. That experts remark is not
sarcasm guys, just amazement.
JR Gilbreath

R.W. Behan wrote:
Hey, "Me," I don't want to sell it. Happy to pass it along to anyone who
can use it. (Well, maybe I'd hold out for shipping costs.) Spirit of
recycling, that sort of thing, eh?

Cheers,

Dick

"Me" wrote in message

In article ,
Brian Whatcott wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:51:59 -0800, "R.W. Behan"
wrote:

Help, help, you electronic wizards out there. We've removed the Loran C

from a 20-year-old Lord Nelson Tug we bought recently, but up on the

pilothouse is a perfectly good Loran C antenna, with the antenna lead
running to the nav station. Can this antenna be used for anything else?
Specifically, for a GPS?, or maybe a VHF radio? Well, maybe a
flagstaff.....

Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. TIA.

Dick B.
LNVT "Annie"

LORAN antennas come in two flavors - a whip or a long wire.
These low frequency signals at 200kHz often went through 'couplers'
then a coax to a loran connector.

The copuler is often in demand, because lorans tends to be sold
without them.
If the antenna is a whip, it may be rather long for a VHF antenna
which is about 20 inches for a 150MHz 1/4 wave.
A CB antenna is about 60 inches for a 1/4 wave at 50 MHz.

A wire antenna can be useful for HF communications. - the longer the
better.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Bzzzt, Nice try, would you like to try again, for what is behind Door
#1?

Locan C is at 100Khz. The Antenna Coupler is the big thing at the base
of the antenna, and it is an "ACTIVE Device", which means that it has an
amplifier and very narrow filtering inside, and is powered by the
receiver up the coax. The whip that is screwed into the top of the
coupler, in most cases will be 102" long, which is 1/4 wavelength
at 27 Mhz (CB Band). In all likelyhood the whip is a Shakespear
10-4 and caould be used for CB, when mounted on a standard CB Base
attachment designed for a 10-4 antenna.
Loran antenna couples are usually "Device Specific" so you would
need to know what Mfg and Model it came from, in order to have any
chance of selling it used. That said, there is certainly a used
market for them.

Me

Larry W4CSC

"Jim Donohue" wrote in

Nope..Almost certainly an active preamp. Not a loading coil. See Me
comment. Jim

Probably both....at 100Khz, Loran C's freq, a 1/4 wavelength whip is 2,460'
high....Probably wouldn't survive going under those big powerlines...(c;

Larry W4CSC

JR Gilbreath wrote in
:

Hi Dick
I have a Marinetek Waypointer Loran C that is missing the antenna.
If any of the electronic experts that have replied to you can tell us
if they will match up I would like to have it. That experts remark is
not sarcasm guys, just amazement.
JR Gilbreath

Sorry, JR. In our proprietary marine electronics world, nothing is
standardized but NMEA's dataport. Even that is suspect most of the time.
Nobody's proprietary antenna, like this one, plugs into anyone else's
proprietary antenna connector to keep the customer loyal to the brand, the
only place he can come for a replacement antenna/coupler/preamp.

Note - GPS units are all exactly made this way for the same exact
reasons....Don't ever plug a Garmin antenna into a Lowrance GPS, etc.

Jim Donohue

Nope...does not compute. A loading coil of a sort might be a component on a
preamp board. But a preamp board is never a component on a loading coil.

If some version of a balun or loading coil is present it will be narrow
tuned and unsuited for use at other than the LORAN frequency.

And you know better. Don't play technical one up for the hell of it.

Jim

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Jim Donohue" wrote in

Nope..Almost certainly an active preamp. Not a loading coil. See Me
comment. Jim

Probably both....at 100Khz, Loran C's freq, a 1/4 wavelength whip is
2,460'
high....Probably wouldn't survive going under those big powerlines...(c;

R.W. Behan

Well, rats, JR.

FWIW, my Loran C unit is a Ratheon Raynav 550, and I still have the business
end, the display and control unit I removed from the nav station. Same
deal holds for the whole outfit: anyone who can use it can have it.

Cheers, smooth sailing.

Dick B.

[...]

Brian Whatcott

eBay still shows a steady stream of Lorans for sale - often without
couplers. Put it there

Brian

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:18:29 -0800, "R.W. Behan"
wrote:

Thanks, Brian--

It's a whip, with a cylindrical fixture at the base about 1-2 inches in
diameter and maybe 1 foot high. Is this a "coupler?" If so, I'd be happy
to put it in anyone's hands who could use it. Do you know of anyone?

Cheers,

Dick B.

.. .
wrote:

[...]

JR Gilbreath

Hi Dick
I cannot tell you how disappointed I am. I was looking forward to
trading my Satnav for it. Oh well, I will just have two holes in my
instrument panel to fill.
Cheers
JR