Courtney Thomas

Default how2 properly store a Westerbeke 4-108 ?

Recently coming into possession of said engine, I'd like to make sure it
doesn't deteriorate while being stored in a garage for possibly a year
or more.

What should this require ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II

Me

In article ,
Courtney Thomas wrote:

Recently coming into possession of said engine, I'd like to make sure it
doesn't deteriorate while being stored in a garage for possibly a year
or more.

What should this require ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney

Westerbeke 4-108??? Are you sure about the model number, and the make?
Never heard of a 4-108 that wasn't built by Perkins.

Me
Doug Dotson

Keep in mind that Westerbeake doesn't actually make any engine.
They buy up various other engines in bulk and marinizes them. These
days I believe that they are Mitsubishi engines. They may have
been Perkins at some point in the past.

Doug

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
Courtney Thomas wrote:

Recently coming into possession of said engine, I'd like to make sure it
doesn't deteriorate while being stored in a garage for possibly a year
or more.

What should this require ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney

Westerbeke 4-108??? Are you sure about the model number, and the make?
Never heard of a 4-108 that wasn't built by Perkins.

Me

Gordon

Once bought a sailboat that had been at anchor for five years. It had a
westerbeke 4-107 in it. Bled the fuel lines, put in new batteries and
started it. Ran great!
Gordon

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Recently coming into possession of said engine, I'd like to make sure it
doesn't deteriorate while being stored in a garage for possibly a year
or more.

What should this require ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

Russ Barron

I have had good results with the aerosol fogging stuff (Auto parts store
or West Marine) for storing gasoline engines, but have not used it with a
diesel.
Normally you spray it into the air intake while the engine is just running
out of the last fuel in the float bowl.
On a diesel I think I would just crank it with the fuel off to coat the
cylinders walls and valves.
Close off the intake and exhaust to keep moisture out and over fill the
crankcase with oil.
Be sure to leave yourself a note to drain the excess before you crank it
again.

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:07:40 -0500, Courtney Thomas
wrote:

Recently coming into possession of said engine, I'd like to make sure it
doesn't deteriorate while being stored in a garage for possibly a year
or more.

What should this require ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney

Doug Dotson

I would be concerned that the compression of a diesel would cause
the fogging oil to combust. I've never heard of fogging a diesel, but
there might be some special product for preserving one.

Doug
s/v Callista

news

wrote:

Recently coming into possession of said engine, I'd like to make sure it
doesn't deteriorate while being stored in a garage for possibly a year
or more.

What should this require ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney

Tim

I would say this would be a safe bet. diesel fuel in itself is an oil.
if you close of the intake, I think you'll be fine.

Tim

http://www.opera.com/mail/