rhys

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 03:05:56 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

12 average or 12 max? What I'm talking about here is 12 foot, wind driven
waves, average height so that wave after wave is in the twelve foot range.

That sort of wave is going to be pretty rare on Lake Erie. You'd have
to be at the wrong end during a *sustained* big blow from a steady
direction. While this is possible, the maximum you are likely to see
is 6 feet, with 2 to 3 feet being the average windy day, depending on
fetch, proximity to shore and reflection from the shore.

Having said that, lake waves are nasty, more chaotic and bumpier than
any ocean conditions I've experienced. The movement can be very
tiring...luckily, everything's over pretty quickly in line squalls and
you rarely lose control of your boat if you know how to sail in the
first place.

R.

rhys

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:00:32 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:31:58 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:
If a breeze feels twice as strong as one we know to
be 15 knots, most people would call it 30 knots whereas it would actually
only be 21.

=============================

Somewhere between 30 and 35 knots the wind begins to rip off the wave
tops and send them through the air like the stream from a fire hose.
I've found it to be an infallible guide to near gale force conditions.
Also, the rigging begins to howl like a banshee in that wind range and
above.

That's a good rule of thumb. By sitting at dock on squally days, you
can compare the "note" of howling rigging to anenometer readings.
That's how I can tell over 30 knots...it gets pretty damned noisy and
stuff not secured begins to leave the boat.

If you are close to shore, however, on a beam reach relative to shore
and coming from there, you get lots of wind sound and a lot less water
sound, because you can have 40 knots and 2 feet of waves. That's why
lake sailing is fun because you can train your ear in less
"uncontrolled" conditions.

R.
James

JAXAshby wrote:
Somewhere between 30 and 35 knots the wind begins to rip off the wave
tops and send them through the air like the stream from a fire hose.

I have sailed upwind in winds of 42+ and gusting and have never seen the "tops
ripped off the waves". I have also walked up on the foredeck up close and
personal in 35 knot winds to take down one sail and put up another and have
never seen the "tops ripped off the waves". I have also sailed offshore in 40+
knot winds and have never seen the "tops ripped off waves".

Maybe my eyesight has gone all to hell?

Now Jax, don't be such an idgit, dood.

PC based sailing simulated 40+ knot winds don't count. Ask your wife
(after you re-inflate her that is) if some day you can go for a ride on
a REAL boat.

Dood, you have to get out on a real boat...computer silumations are not
the same thing. You'll see waves and birds and all kinds of things if
you can get a ride on somebodies boat some day.

Any volunteers want to take Jaxie Dood for a sail? He'll stay outside in
case he gets scared and urinates by accident. It only happened twice
using the simulator but you can't be too careful.

Let's have a show of hands.
JAXAshby

junnie, you gasp at the suggestion of a acetone on the early spring Saturday
morning.

From: Gene Kearns age
Date: 12/22/2004 9:21 PM Eastern Standard Time
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:36:05 -0500, James wrote:

Now Jax, don't be such an idgit, dood.

PC based sailing simulated 40+ knot winds don't count. Ask your wife
(after you re-inflate her that is) if some day you can go for a ride on
a REAL boat.

Dood, you have to get out on a real boat...computer silumations are not
the same thing. You'll see waves and birds and all kinds of things if
you can get a ride on somebodies boat some day.

Any volunteers want to take Jaxie Dood for a sail? He'll stay outside in
case he gets scared and urinates by accident. It only happened twice
using the simulator but you can't be too careful.

Let's have a show of hands.

ROFLMAO... oh, god..... I can't get my breath......

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/
Homepage*
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where Southport,NC
is located.
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats
at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

* If you find that you are denied access to my web page, Please respond here
with
your IP address and I will see if I can open up access. I have been forced to
blackhole large geographic regions outside of North America due to incessant
spoofing and hacking attacks on my web server. Thanks.

James

Hey Jaxie DOOD, I got to level 1800 offshore a long time ago!

If you use a joystick instead of a mouse you can trim the cyber jib
faster and it's way kewl. But it works like a real tiller so you got to
be aware that left is right and right is left. Use a joystick and you'll
get to level 2000 or even more.

Hey Dood, did you try to lean way over in your chair when the program
said you were heeling? If you do that it almost feels like a real boat
but you gotta lean WAAAAY over and it's kinda scary just like on a real
boat! Maybe even wear a speedo and splash a little water around while
yelling "batten down the hatches" or some other suitable nautical talk.
You can find lot's of nautical talk online too, but you already knew
that of course. It makes pretending SO much easier. Plus there is a way
kewl help file full of nautical sayings you can use.

Mind you, you have to be really careful when you lean over in the chair
like that Dood. I did it too far (Cyber squall was set to stun) and I
fell right offa the chair!

"MAN OVERBOARD" I yelled. Wow it was scary. I felt like such a idgit. If
you try it Dood, make sure you inflate your wifie and put her on the
floor beside you (to leeward!) so you have something squishy to land on.
Plus she'll give you positive floatation. Then you can come here and
tell everybody about how you fell overboard and your inflatable saved you!

Later DOOD!

JAXAshby wrote:
dood, I just did 1,800 miles offshore. how about you?

JAXAshby

last month, jimmie. you wouldn't like it, jimmie. the waves got near three
feet high at one point and the winds howled at upwards of 18 knots. scair
eeeee for bathtubs sailors like you who think that floating a rubber duck is an
opportunity to spank the monkey while claiming to be doing britney spears.

James

JAXAshby wrote:

Tell us about upwind in 42+. What sails were you flying and on what
kind of boat?

a.) just a small jib. b.) a sloop

Hey Jaxie DOOOD, you are being some kinda idgit or something.

You forgot to answer question C)Did you soil your speedos?

Wayne was good enought to ask..it would be rude for you to answer him.

Or maybe you're just being a fumb duck (again)?