Default start of cruise

FINALLY, after taking an extra week to finish my nesting dinghy and a
weeks worth of bronchitis and two days of waiting on weather, I set off
on my coasthopping cruise down the west coast of Florida by myself. It
nearly took an act of God to get my wife to not freak at my going
alone. I had to buy a Personal Locator Beacon, then she got my kids
and my employees to conspire to try to convince me not to sail at night
alone. Finally, I agreed, ok, ok, I'll TRY to get to shore at night
and agreed that my first leg would be a measly 40 miles from Carabelle
to St. Marks, FL.

Set out, nearly no wind, engine running well, going 5.5 kts, no probs.
Had to go out around a shoal south of Alligator Pt about 7 miles.
Rounded the buoy (#26) and the engine RPM dropped, i went below and
heard an odd mechanical noise then engine quit. Suddenly wind picked
up out of SW, Great, I sail, what a novel idea.
Wind picks up to 18 kts and I wonder if I should check my new reefing
system that I had just modified. Good thing I tried cuz it took me 15
minutes to get it done with jammed stoppers, etc. By then I was glad
to be reefed. Suddenly JIBE as the autopilot is overwhelmed. Get back
on course realizing I really cannot trust my old AutoHelm 800 too much
in any real wind.
Finally realize that sailing into St. Marks may not be a good idea
because I want to call my wife to come get me so I can do something
about the engine. The Channel into St. Marks is 6 miles up river and
probably has flukey winds so I decide to sail into Shell Pt, my home
port 10 yrs ago.
Wind tapers off as I get deeper into Apalachee Bay with wind out of
west. It is nearly 20 miles from #26 due north to Shell Pt so it was a
good sail with wind abeam. Finally sight the channel marker and also
get a cell phone signal. I call my wife and tell her I'll call back in
a half hour telling her what I am doing. I get into channel just as sun
hits horizon. I try to tack to go down an east-west canal to get to
some vacant docks but it cannot happen. Wind is too light in here and
tide is rushing out like crazy. Finally, I say screw this and put the
nesting dinghy in water, assemble it, and row while pulling "Ragtime"
(28' S2 weighs 7800 lbs) against the tide. Damned difficult. A local
guy standing on his dock offers to let me use it so I tie up there.
I tie up, call home only to find my wife has panicked cuz I didn't call
back in the half hour (I was rowing then). She has called the marine
patrol. She calls them back to tell them I am fine. Fortunately, they
had realized from what she told them that she is simply a worrier over
nothing.
She comes to get me and we go home, i get a good nights sleep and then
drive back to "Ragtime" and meet the dock owner. He is a retired
engineer who is into boat building. He has built a beautiful Maine
Lobster Boat with beautiful varnished trim. His work is truly
beautiful whereas my homebuilt dinghy is merely utilitarian. We go
have lunch and talk engineering. This just what I want out of
cruising, meeting interesting people.
Unfortunately, I am not able to fix the engine. SO, I humbly ask
knowledgeable people (JAX) on this subject for help. The only
available mechanic says he is booked for 5 weeks.
So, here is the info. Yanmar 2GM13
Prop is clear, I know cuz the tide was so low it was out of the water
and I checked. Prop turns freely in neutral.
Plenty of oil. changed a month ago.
Coolant looks good.
Belts look good.
Fuel filters look good
I have an electrical fuel pump in series with the mechanical one on the
engine so it is easy to prime the fuel system.
Batteries fully charged.
Engine turns over well, runs for 5 seconds and then dies.
I verified low pressure fuel up to the filter assembly but did NOT
check at the high pressure pump.
I now think the mechanical noise I heard when RPM dropped was the
electrical pump.
Is it possible that the fuel return line is bad in some way? I am not
sure of its function.
Tomorrow, i will go back and check for fuel pumping up to the
injectors. Is it possible to easily verify that the injectors are
spraying?

When the rpm dropped, I had only used about 4 gallons out of a 20 gal
tank.

Any ideas?

Cindy Ballreich

[...]

possibly a dumb question
Did you try bleeding the engine?

Cindy Ballreich wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, I did not have time this afternoon to bleed the fuel
system but will do so tomorrow.
Another possible clue is that in the morning, it was very very hard to
start. I first thought this was due to the cold weather but I knew
that was wrong as it was turning over easily. I am puzzled at why it
would suddenly get air in the lines although it has been 3 weeks since
I ran it.
I vaguely recall something about the return line having something to do
with hard starting or stalling.
What does the return line do? Although it obviously would seem to
return unused fuel from the injectors, why is it needed?

Wayne.B

On 13 Dec 2004 15:12:28 -0800, wrote:

[...]

The one thing you know for sure with a diesel is that it's almost
always fuel related. The only exception I can think of is automatic
shutdown for low oil pressure, or over temp due to a sensor or wiring
issue. Do you have guages? Is oil pressure OK? Do you have
automatic shut downs, and if so, can you bypass temporarily?
Not a good idea of course unless you can independently verify oil
pressure some how.

Moving back to the fuel system: Have you replaced all fuel filters?
Is it possible you have a clogged tank screen or clogged tank vent?
One good test is to rig a temporary, gravity fed fuel source, plumbed
directly to your final fuel filter with clear PVC tubing. If the
engine runs OK on that you obviously have an upstream problem
somewhere and need to work backwards towards the source.

Diesel engines have return lines for 2 reasons:
Leakoff past the injector pintle has to go somewhere.
Cooling
Diesels are very reliable. Just ensure they have fuel, oil & water. On
some diesels (GM) the air supply is of equal importance.
Hope you have a good cruise.
Tony Rowlands
S/V Ambrosia - currently in Thailand

Dennis Gibbons

Cindy has the answer. If a diesel quits while running 99 times out of 100
it is a lack of fuel due to a blockage or an air leak.
I had a very similar experience bringing my Vineyard Vixen 29 down from
main. My symptoms were similar. did you have a slight rise in RPM just
before it died.
I was towed to Brown's in Gloucester. they too did not have the time to
look at it. The mechanic told me what I told you.
I started at the fuel intake and went all the way to the engine and couldn't
find it. He said to keep looking.
I resorted to blowing (lips on fuel line) from the engine back to the tank
in sections. The section from the fuel filter to the tank seemed tank. I
dismantled the intake piping (did I say I had to remove the tank from the
boat?) and there it was. A small screen plugged with algae.
Some genius years ago had installed a screen at the intake I guess to stop
sucking up sludge from the tank. Unfortunately when it got plugged, the
screen got sucked into the piping and stuck at a joint where it was
forgotten until I was alone in the Gulf of Maine.

Seek and ye shall find either an air leak or, more likely a blockage

--
Dennis Gibbons
dkgibbons at optonline dot net
"Cindy Ballreich" wrote in message
Cindy Ballreich wrote:

possibly a dumb question
Did you try bleeding the engine?

Unfortunately, I did not have time this afternoon to bleed the fuel
system but will do so tomorrow.
Another possible clue is that in the morning, it was very very hard to
start. I first thought this was due to the cold weather but I knew
that was wrong as it was turning over easily. I am puzzled at why it
would suddenly get air in the lines although it has been 3 weeks since
I ran it.
I vaguely recall something about the return line having something to do
with hard starting or stalling.
What does the return line do? Although it obviously would seem to
return unused fuel from the injectors, why is it needed?

The reason that I asked is this sounds very similar to a problem we had
last year where there was the tiniest air leak. It took forever to
diagnose and almost drove my poor husband over the edge. It finally
turned out to be the petcock on the fuel tank. (This after replacing all
the vacuum side fuel lines and the lift pump!)

Friends of ours had the identical symptoms, but theirs turned out to be
a clogged fuel tank vent line. (spiders) Again, it took forever to find.

That pretty much exhausts my engine diagnostic abilities. I sure hope
you find the problem. Please let us know what it turns out to be.

Cindy

Cindy Ballreich wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Finally did bleed the system and took off the return line. Blew
through the return line to clear any blockage. She then started and
ran fine. I dunno. It just took me a day to remember how simple the
diesel fuel system is and how to do it. Maybe I got an air bubble in
the fuel line somehow. I am sure it will recurr.
Plan to leave on Saturday for next leg.

This cruise has been postponed by:

My daughter getting melanoma and then getting treatment (apparently
cured)
Buuilding a new dinghy to replace hurricane damaged one.
My bronchitis

NOW, my 14 yr old son gets arrested for possession of marijuana. I
knew 3 months ago he had smoked some but thought it was just a little
and grounded him and took other action. We had no indication of any
great use and have even made sure had no access to money, phone,
computer, etc. We find out he has a serious problem and has been
helping set up buys in exchange for a little. He hid it in the woods
near our house. Of course, he was charged with possession with intent
to sell (although he actually did not sell) so it means automatic
expulsion and mandatory treatment. This was a real shock to us.
So, now he will accompany me on ALL legs of the trip but I may have to
delay some of them for various complications arising from this. We
even have to find a school for him.
KIDS!, They give you so much happiness and then so much grief.