BSCHNAUTZ

Default "Pickeled" engines???

Sory to display my ignorace, but.....I've been looking on some auction sights
and I see especially large boats that have gone through storm damage. The write
ups say the engin[s] haev been "pickled" then it may say engines condition
unknown.

Can anyone shed some knowledge about "pickled" engines for me?
Thanks!
Tim
Rich Hampel

Pickling usually means that the water passages have been cleaned by
acid to remove the normal boiler scale that fouls the heat
transmission. This is normal maintenance.

Pickling of a 'submerged' engine includes removal of the water in the
combustion chamber ,crankcase, etc. and then totally filling and
draining with a light weight oil to prevent rust formation of the
cylinder walls, piston ring grooves, etc. ---- beware if the
submergence was in salt water, especially if the engine was not
immediately run to a 'hot' condition after pickling.

In article , BSCHNAUTZ

188.226.97!ngpeer.news.aol.com!audrey-m2.news.aol.com!not-for-mail

bowgus

In auto engine terms, the expression was once used to describe the long term
storage preparation process of pouring oil into the carburator with the
engine running ... I'm thinking the catalytic converter likely ended that
practice. So could be another term for fogged ???

"BSCHNAUTZ" wrote in message
Sory to display my ignorace, but.....I've been looking on some auction

sights
and I see especially large boats that have gone through storm damage. The

write
ups say the engin[s] haev been "pickled" then it may say engines

condition
unknown.

Can anyone shed some knowledge about "pickled" engines for me?
Thanks!
Tim

Doug Dotson

I don't think that pickling and fogging are the same thing. Typical
winterization around here involves fogging the engine. I beleive that
pickling means filling the engine with oil to preserve it for long term
storage.

Doug
s/v Callista

"BSCHNAUTZ" wrote in message
Sory to display my ignorace, but.....I've been looking on some auction

sights
and I see especially large boats that have gone through storm damage. The

write
ups say the engin[s] haev been "pickled" then it may say engines

condition
unknown.

Can anyone shed some knowledge about "pickled" engines for me?
Thanks!
Tim

Eric Currier

The funny thing is, if your talking about food "pickling" means soaking in a
brine solution (sea water?).
In most cases pickling an engine means adding oils to preserve it for long
term storage, but very few people will pickle an engine when a storm is
coming, I think what has happened here is after the storm passed (days or
weeks after) the engines were drained of whatever sea water was in them and
oil was added to slow or stop whatever damage had been done by submersion in
sea water.
Because you cannot know the condition of the engine before the storm or the
damage caused by the storm, I would automatically add the cost of an
overhaul into any bid on one of these boats and possibly even total
replacement.
Do they have anyway of inspecting these motors before purchase?

Eric

"BSCHNAUTZ" wrote in message
Sory to display my ignorace, but.....I've been looking on some auction

sights
and I see especially large boats that have gone through storm damage.

The
write
ups say the engin[s] haev been "pickled" then it may say engines

condition
unknown.

Can anyone shed some knowledge about "pickled" engines for me?
Thanks!
Tim

DSK

BSCHNAUTZ wrote:
Sory to display my ignorace, but.....I've been looking on some auction sights
and I see especially large boats that have gone through storm damage. The write
ups say the engin[s] haev been "pickled" then it may say engines condition
unknown.

Can anyone shed some knowledge about "pickled" engines for me?

http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/pickle.asp

This is not really a single procedure, but twelve major procedures to
*begin* to recover an engine from being submerged. It sounds like good
advice to count on at least rebuilding the engine, if not repowering
(and don't forget rewiring), any boat that's been sunk. IMHO most of the
bids on hurricane-damaged boats seem optimistic (to put it politely).

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

BSCHNAUTZ

Do they have anyway of inspecting these motors before purchase?

Eric

Beats me eric... USAUCTIONS on ebay is the one that is selling a gob of storm
boats. most are junk and they are the ones talking abotu "pickled" engines.
probably the only ones that ever mention it.
~^ beancounter ~^

a bit off topic, but i'll ask anyways...do folks ever "chase hurricane
boats" with, say a certain amount of "cash" to buy damaged boats "on
the spot" from, say insurance agents @ the "sceen"....??

anyone have stories about scooping up a nice deal on sailboats doing
this?