Eric Currier

The funny thing is, if your talking about food "pickling" means soaking in a
brine solution (sea water?).
In most cases pickling an engine means adding oils to preserve it for long
term storage, but very few people will pickle an engine when a storm is
coming, I think what has happened here is after the storm passed (days or
weeks after) the engines were drained of whatever sea water was in them and
oil was added to slow or stop whatever damage had been done by submersion in
sea water.
Because you cannot know the condition of the engine before the storm or the
damage caused by the storm, I would automatically add the cost of an
overhaul into any bid on one of these boats and possibly even total
replacement.
Do they have anyway of inspecting these motors before purchase?

Eric

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
I don't think that pickling and fogging are the same thing. Typical
winterization around here involves fogging the engine. I beleive that
pickling means filling the engine with oil to preserve it for long term
storage.

Doug
s/v Callista

"bowgus" wrote in message
In auto engine terms, the expression was once used to describe the long
term
storage preparation process of pouring oil into the carburator with the
engine running ... I'm thinking the catalytic converter likely ended

that
practice. So could be another term for fogged ???

"BSCHNAUTZ" wrote in message
Sory to display my ignorace, but.....I've been looking on some auction

sights
and I see especially large boats that have gone through storm damage.

The
write
ups say the engin[s] haev been "pickled" then it may say engines

condition
unknown.

Can anyone shed some knowledge about "pickled" engines for me?
Thanks!
Tim