JAXAshby

and
because the water is shallow in the bay and the channel is too winding for

you
to follow.

Yes - very shallow. Not like the shallow water we had in Florida Bay.

really? Florida Bay is more shallow? How shallow is that, jeffies? Keep in
mind, jeffies, that the dredged channel from the Shinnecock canal to the ocean
outlet is often less than six feet. That is the dredged channel, you fumb
duck. The water either side is often less.

jeffies, attempting rational discussion with you is like attempting same with a
dog pile.

JAXAshby

a 4 knot current in a channel a mile wide is a little different
from 4 knots in a cut 100 feet wide.

yeah, it is faster, right?
JAXAshby

The CG says it is not a lock

No. They say its a lock.

no they do not. the CG knows what a lock is. So does the Corps of Eng.
JAXAshby

Its a lock because it was built as a lock and continues to function as a
lock.

it does not function as a lock. it functions as a gate, which you plainly
state below (even as you fumb duckly say is "not relevant").

The fact that it is only used to when the current runs north
(as I pointed out in my first post) is not relevant.

JAXAshby

wanna tell again that an inflatable doll cooks because it has the shape of
woman?

That's your department, jaxie.

I keep forgetting, jeffies, that you don't begin to have the intellectual
capacity to understand metaphor. attempting rational discussion with you is
like attempting same with a dog pile.

Jeff Morris

The decision to put in a lock is a bit more complex then simply
measuring the tidal differences. But this subtlety seems to be lost on
you.

And remember, the lock was built in 1919, before the inlet was opened by
the Hurricane of '38. Back then the tide differences was as high as 5
feet, according to references I posted.

JAXAshby wrote:
so, fumb duck, the shinnecock needs a "lock" because of the tidal difference,
but The Race, Hell Gate, the East River, the Verizanno Narrows, the Harlem
River, Block Island Sound, the Cape Cod canal and the Cape May canal do not
even the "tidal difference" is greater?????????????

jeffies, do you even bother to read WTF you write?

From: Jeff Morris
Date: 12/5/2004 5:43 PM Eastern Standard Time
JAXAshby wrote:

so, jeffie, are those "locks" or "gates" across The Race, or the East

River, or

the Harlem River, or the Verizano Narrows, or Block Island Sound, or the

Cape

Cod canal?

Nope. No need for locks there, even though the tidal differences are
over 2 feet in these areas.

Gee, they all have currents equal to or greater than the Shinnecock canal.

What's your point? Each situation is different. And the locks were
added to the Shinnecock Canal before the Shinnecock Inlet was opened by
the Hurricane of '38.

So what did you say the purpose of a lock is, jeffies?

Here's a quote I'll repeat from a local magazine. If you have trouble
with the big words we can help you:

"This problem [erosion in the canal] was solved by building tide gates
and, in 1919, a lock in the canal. The one-way tide gates -- pushed open
by high tides running south from Peconic Bay and pushed closed by high
tides running from the opposite direction -- ensure that enough water
flushes out of Peconic Bay into Shinnecock Bay to carry all the sand and
silt that would otherwise accumulate and block the canal. The lock,
rebuilt about 30 years ago, allows boats to be floated up or down to
meet the differing water levels at either end."

http://www.newsday.com/community/gui...6,0,6426268.st

ory?coll=ny-lihistory-navigation

Jeff Morris

JAXAshby wrote:
jeffies, *you* have never seen that canal and never will, not even from the
highway.

You're right. I've never seen it. Neither have you.

I am well aware you have never seen it and never will. If you had seen it, you
wouldn't make the fumb duck statements about it being a "lock" you do.

I have seen it, jeffies, many times. Up close and personal.

You're clearly lying. Or you don't know what a lock is. Or more likely
both. Which is it, jaxie?

Just to be clear, here's a picture of the lock in the Shinnecock Canal:
http://www.sv-loki.com/shinnecock.jpg
Why do you say this in not a lock?
Jeff Morris

JAXAshby wrote:
and
because the water is shallow in the bay and the channel is too winding for

you

to follow.

Yes - very shallow. Not like the shallow water we had in Florida Bay.

really? Florida Bay is more shallow? How shallow is that, jeffies? Keep in
mind, jeffies, that the dredged channel from the Shinnecock canal to the ocean
outlet is often less than six feet. That is the dredged channel, you fumb
duck. The water either side is often less.

jeffies, attempting rational discussion with you is like attempting same with a
dog pile.

Jaxie, you've just shown us yet another area where you are completely
ignorant. There are large areas of Florida Bay less than 3 feet deep.
The "inside" ICW has long stretches where the "channel" is 5 feet or less.

Shinnecock Bay is "deep water" by comparison. The channel is mostly
straight, with more than a dozen marks in its three miles. The inlet
may be subject to shoaling, but that's not uncommon. Its no surprise
that this is what you think is challenging!

Jeff Morris

JAXAshby wrote:
The CG says it is not a lock

No. They say its a lock.

no they do not. the CG knows what a lock is. So does the Corps of Eng.

You're right, that's why they call it a lock. I already posted several
references, including from the Corps and NOAA, saying its a lock.
You've posted nothing.
Jeff Morris

JAXAshby wrote:
Its a lock because it was built as a lock and continues to function as a
lock.

it does not function as a lock. it functions as a gate, which you plainly
state below (even as you fumb duckly say is "not relevant").

The fact that it is only used to when the current runs north
(as I pointed out in my first post) is not relevant.

It functions as a gate when the current runs south, as a lock when its
north. This seems to be too complex for your little mind to comprehend.