Jeff Morris

JAXAshby wrote:
wanna tell again that an inflatable doll cooks because it has the shape of

woman?

That's your department, jaxie.

I keep forgetting, jeffies, that you don't begin to have the intellectual
capacity to understand metaphor. attempting rational discussion with you is
like attempting same with a dog pile.

Yes - you lose to the dog pile also.
JAXAshby

The "inside" ICW has long stretches where the "channel" is 5 feet or less.

The controling depth of the ICW channel is 12 feet. When any spot shallows to
less than 12 feet, the channel is dredged, assuming funds (that means money,
jeffies) are available.
JAXAshby

Shinnecock Bay is "deep water" by comparison.

you have never been there, jeffies. If you had, you would know better that to
try to tell use that a sailboat can travel much or most or even a great deal of
that bay.
JAXAshby

The channel is mostly
straight,

huh? "most straight"? are you on drugs, jeffies?

JAXAshby

The inlet
may be subject to shoaling

no kidding? You read that somewhere? you certainly have never seen it and
never, so how did you guess that the inlet "may be subject to shoaling"?

btw, fumb duck, the entire bay -- including the channel -- IS "subject to
shoaling". Local sailboats of ordinary draft NEVER sail the bay, and most
usually travel the channel at dead slow speed, often coasting slowly while
staring at the depth sounder.

jeffies, you really should ask your wife to pull of some aerial photos of that
bar tosee just how much it changes over even short periods of time.
JAXAshby

fumb duck, the gate is "open" (check the dictionary for the meaning of the
water) with the current south, **********AND********* is often open as well
when the current is north.

--------------------IN ------------------------ ADDITION
-------------------------- if there is a need for a lock (and there is not) to
move boats from one level of water to another when the current is north (that's
what you said, jeffies) then there is also a need to move boats from one water
level to another when the current is south. If that were not true, then the
bay would fill with water and never empty. It doesn't, jeffies, fill with
water to overflowing flooding all the land in Riverhead and other towns until
so much water is in the Bay it finaling floods across and empties into Long
Island Sound.

geesh, jeffies. do you read what you write?

From: Jeff Morris
Date: 12/11/2004 9:40 AM Eastern Standard Time
JAXAshby wrote:
Its a lock because it was built as a lock and continues to function as a
lock.

it does not function as a lock. it functions as a gate, which you plainly
state below (even as you fumb duckly say is "not relevant").

The fact that it is only used to when the current runs north
(as I pointed out in my first post) is not relevant.

It functions as a gate when the current runs south, as a lock when its
north. This seems to be too complex for your little mind to comprehend.

Jeff Morris

JAXAshby wrote:
fumb duck, the gate is "open" (check the dictionary for the meaning of the
water) with the current south, **********AND********* is often open as well
when the current is north.

So you say, but your word is worthless. The Corps of Eng and the Coast
Pilot and the lock operator, and all other references say otherwise. It
your word against the world jaxie.

--------------------IN ------------------------ ADDITION
-------------------------- if there is a need for a lock (and there is not) to
move boats from one level of water to another when the current is north (that's
what you said, jeffies) then there is also a need to move boats from one water
level to another when the current is south. If that were not true, then the
bay would fill with water and never empty.

Sorry jaxie, you just showing your ignorance of the physical world here.
When the gates were put in Shinnecock Bay was polluted and they wanted
to minimize contamination to Peconic Bay. This made it impossible for
boats to go northward, so the locks were added.

It doesn't, jeffies, fill with
water to overflowing flooding all the land in Riverhead and other towns until
so much water is in the Bay it finaling floods across and empties into Long
Island Sound.

You do realize there are several opening to the ocean on both sides of
the canal, don't you?

geesh, jeffies. do you read what you write?

Jeff Morris

JAXAshby wrote:
The inlet
may be subject to shoaling

no kidding? You read that somewhere? you certainly have never seen it and
never, so how did you guess that the inlet "may be subject to shoaling"?

btw, fumb duck, the entire bay -- including the channel -- IS "subject to
shoaling". Local sailboats of ordinary draft NEVER sail the bay, and most
usually travel the channel at dead slow speed, often coasting slowly while
staring at the depth sounder.

jeffies, you really should ask your wife to pull of some aerial photos of that
bar tosee just how much it changes over even short periods of time.

What's your point jaxie? You're tilting at windmills here - I never
said I had any desire to go there, especially not in my boat. However,
I have been in numerous places far more challenging than that.
Jeff Morris

JAXAshby wrote:
The channel is mostly
straight,

huh? "most straight"? are you on drugs, jeffies?

The channel to the inlet is three straight lines, well marked. If you
consider this a navigational challenge, you should retake that Power
Squadron course you dropped out of.