JAXAshby

try the Corps of Engs and the CG, and ask for the defintion of a "lock" as to
function, and then the definition of a "gate" as to function.

of course, to Lunnies, it is made of green cheese.

geesh, guys. the damned thing is open most of the time and often is not closed
at all for extended periods of time. go down there and watch the frickin'
water flow **IN**to Peconic Bay (because the damned gate is not closed) and
then **OUT** to Hampton Bay (because that is the way it is supposed to work and
then **IN**to Peconic ....

From: (Robert Gainer)
Date: 11/24/2004 4:54 PM Eastern Standard Time
(JAXAshby) wrote in message
Been there. It's a lock.

Been there. It's a gate.

The difference is I know the difference.

Check this out,
http://www.boatli.org/locks.htm

They say it's a lock

http://www.town.southampton.ny.us/about.ihtml

The town says it's a lock

http://www.history.rochester.edu/can...06/Chap12.html

This history book says it's a lock and gives the size

The locks to be 22 feet wide, and 90 feet long between gates. . . .

http://www.americancanals.org/progress.htm

And of course the American Canal Organization says it's a lock and
they might have some experience at this.

I found many more references that say it's a lock and did not find one
that said it's a gate.
So I would say that if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and
looks like a duck, it might just be a duck.
All the best,
Robert Gainer