Wayne.B

Default Cleaning Shore Power Cables

I have a set of grungy looking yellow 50 amp cables that I'd like to
clean up.

Does anyone know of a good cleaning product and/or technique short of
going out and buying new ones?
JimH

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
I have a set of grungy looking yellow 50 amp cables that I'd like to
clean up.

Does anyone know of a good cleaning product and/or technique short of
going out and buying new ones?

Acetone works pretty good.

DSK

Wayne.B wrote:
I have a set of grungy looking yellow 50 amp cables that I'd like to
clean up.

Does anyone know of a good cleaning product and/or technique short of
going out and buying new ones?

Try Oxi-Clean. We use it on a lot of stuff around the boat and had no
trouble with any kind of plastic. Don't get it on varnish or natural
wood, though.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Gary Warner

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
I have a set of grungy looking yellow 50 amp cables that I'd like to
clean up.

Does anyone know of a good cleaning product and/or technique short of
going out and buying new ones?

I wonder if soaking them overnight
in a bucket of any of the solutions
already mentioned might help loosen
up the grunge so you have less work.

I realize it might need to be a big bucket -
or a couple of them...

JimH

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
I have a set of grungy looking yellow 50 amp cables that I'd like to
clean up.

Does anyone know of a good cleaning product and/or technique short of
going out and buying new ones?

I wonder if soaking them overnight
in a bucket of any of the solutions
already mentioned might help loosen
up the grunge so you have less work.

I realize it might need to be a big bucket -
or a couple of them...

You could not do it with the acetone. Acetone causes the surface to become
sticky when just rubbing it on lightly with a rag. Soaking the cable in
acetone might cause some serious damage to the insulation.

Lew Hodgett

"JimH" writes:

Acetone works pretty good.

It is self defeating to use acetone since it also removes the plasticizer
and with in a very short time, you have an even bigger mess on your hands.

Never found a solution I liked, just learned to live with it.

Lew

LaBomba182

Subject: Cleaning Shore Power Cables
From: Wayne.B

I have a set of grungy looking yellow 50 amp cables that I'd like to
clean up.

Does anyone know of a good cleaning product and/or technique short of
going out and buying new ones?

Acetone will work, just use 303 afterwards so the cord doesn't get sticky. The
cord cleaners you find in marine stores work. But again follow with 303.
And citrus based hand cleaner with grit in it used with a scuffy pad works
well also. Follow with 303.

Capt. Bill
Capt Lou

A friend of mine uses carburetor cleaning fluid and it really works without
making the cord sticky!

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.
Doug Dotson

Starbrite sells a product specifically for cleaning shorepower
cables. It is called "Power Cable Cleaner/Protector". I have
no idea if it works. Keeping shorepower cables clean is
not at the top of my list

Doug
s/v Callista

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
I have a set of grungy looking yellow 50 amp cables that I'd like to
clean up.

Does anyone know of a good cleaning product and/or technique short of
going out and buying new ones?

Cleaning Shore Power Cables Wayne.B General 39 November 19th 04 10:05 PM
European Shore Power and European Yacht Wiring Charlie Johnson Electronics 3 April 30th 04 01:09 PM
How to use a simple SWR meter and what it means to your VHF Larry W4CSC Electronics 74 November 25th 03 03:45 AM
Shore Power Parallax Cruising 5 October 15th 03 02:18 PM
Using a generator for AC power in absence of shore power Zeki Gunay Electronics 1 August 7th 03 05:24 PM