Karl Denninger

Its not great. Made the mistake of wasting money on it once.

Karl Denninger ) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://www.spamcuda.net SPAM FREE mailboxes - FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com Musings Of A Sentient Mind

In article ,
Doug Dotson wrote:

Starbrite sells a product specifically for cleaning shorepower
cables. It is called "Power Cable Cleaner/Protector". I have
no idea if it works. Keeping shorepower cables clean is
not at the top of my list

Doug
s/v Callista

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
I have a set of grungy looking yellow 50 amp cables that I'd like to
clean up.

Does anyone know of a good cleaning product and/or technique short of
going out and buying new ones?

Wayne.B

In article ,
Doug Dotson wrote:

Starbrite sells a product specifically for cleaning shorepower
cables. It is called "Power Cable Cleaner/Protector". I have
no idea if it works. Keeping shorepower cables clean is
not at the top of my list

Doug
s/v Callista

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:39:50 GMT, (Karl
Denninger) wrote:

Its not great. Made the mistake of wasting money on it once.

I agree. I was having better luck with Simple Green and a 3M scrubbing
pad. I've been reluctant to try anything more agressive out of
concern for ending up with sticky cables. Once that happens, the
rubber breaks down and sheds on to everything.

Doug Dotson

Glad I never tried anything to clean them. Just not worth it to
impress the neighbors.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

Denninger) wrote:

Its not great. Made the mistake of wasting money on it once.

I agree. I was having better luck with Simple Green and a 3M scrubbing
pad. I've been reluctant to try anything more agressive out of
concern for ending up with sticky cables. Once that happens, the
rubber breaks down and sheds on to everything.

Wayne.B

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:07:22 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

Glad I never tried anything to clean them. Just not worth it to
impress the neighbors.

=====================================

It was more a matter of trying not to depress them. :-)

Also the contrast of my nice new dock with grungy cables was a
fearsome sight.

LaBomba182

Subject: Cleaning Shore Power Cables
From: "Doug Dotson"

Glad I never tried anything to clean them. Just not worth it to
impress the neighbors.

I don't care about my neighbors, but I do care about my hands and anything
around the cords after you stow them.

Capt. Bill

Doug Kanter

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
I have a set of grungy looking yellow 50 amp cables that I'd like to
clean up.

Does anyone know of a good cleaning product and/or technique short of
going out and buying new ones?

You need something that works fast on grease, but won't mess with the
plastic. Put on some gloves and use a very concentrated solution of Dawn
dish liquid applied with the rough side of a two-sided dish sponge. Whatever
doesn't come off with that doesn't matter unless you're anal about seeing
perfect yellow.

After the cord dries, apply a light coating of ArmorAll or Son of a Gun to
help maintain flexibility.

Keith

Starbrite actually makes a pretty effective shore power cable cleaner. Use
it with Scotchbrite pads, and it'll work better than most anything I've
found. You can also try Simple Green with Barkeeper's Friend scrubbing
powder. Don't use any solvents, or you will certainly ruin them.

--

Keith
__
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
I have a set of grungy looking yellow 50 amp cables that I'd like to
clean up.

Does anyone know of a good cleaning product and/or technique short of
going out and buying new ones?

jam24u

17 years in the boat buisness says "easy off oven cleaner".
you will probably lose the cables gloss however if your not careful,
but glossy cables are only important to dock sailors anyway.
Phil

soak them overnight in a bleach solution. Mine get a little mildew on them
once in a while and that cleans them well.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:07:13 GMT, "Phil" wrote:

soak them overnight in a bleach solution.

Good suggestion but I'd need 50 gallon barrels for that. These are
BIG cables, otherwise I'd just replace them.

Cleaning Shore Power Cables Wayne.B General 39 November 19th 04 10:05 PM
European Shore Power and European Yacht Wiring Charlie Johnson Electronics 3 April 30th 04 01:09 PM
How to use a simple SWR meter and what it means to your VHF Larry W4CSC Electronics 74 November 25th 03 03:45 AM
Shore Power Parallax Cruising 5 October 15th 03 02:18 PM
Using a generator for AC power in absence of shore power Zeki Gunay Electronics 1 August 7th 03 05:24 PM