WillT

Default Florida Keys...

I'm planning on cruising the Florida Keys for the first time this Winter.

Any suggestions for not-to-miss places to go? We draw 6 feet and will
mainly stay on the Hawk Channel side...

Thanks!

Armond Perretta

WillT wrote:
I'm planning on cruising the Florida Keys for the first time this
Winter.
Any suggestions for not-to-miss places to go? We draw 6 feet and
will mainly stay on the Hawk Channel side...

I don't want to sound negative about the Keys, but I think you will find far
fewer interesting places than you may at first expect. The 6 feet will also
become an issue in many entrances. Having said that, you will certainly
enjoy the different flavors at Key West, Marathon, Big Pine, Tortugas, etc,
and the diving at the several marine parks. Unfortunately you are unlikely
to make much distance on the Florida Bay side where there are a few hidden
and quite interesting stops. There are a few cruising guides, but none are
in my view outstanding. Best bet is to hitch up with a local boat for info
and suggestions.

In recent years the trend toward controlled anchorages and increased
restrictions has hit the Keys hard. Years ago when this started there were
a few incidents at Marathon that caused outrage in the cruising community,
but since then the landowners have apparently gotten the upper hand and the
boat people are pretty much treated as second class citizens by local
authorities.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

WillT

Thanks for your feedback. I've done a fair amount of reading and understand
most of those issues. We have a 13' RIB with a 40HP engine so we're used to
anchoring away and zipping around on the dinghy. I'm also looking for
places to explore beyond the well known places like Key West, Marathon, etc.
Certainly there are other areas to explore?

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message
WillT wrote:
[...]

Rosalie B.

"WillT" wrote:

Thanks for your feedback. I've done a fair amount of reading and understand
most of those issues. We have a 13' RIB with a 40HP engine so we're used to
anchoring away and zipping around on the dinghy. I'm also looking for
places to explore beyond the well known places like Key West, Marathon, etc.
Certainly there are other areas to explore?

Armond is pretty much correct about the amount of places to explore.

We only have a 5 foot draft, and we do not go over to the bay side.
There's much more gunkholing available over there. We also have a
hard time getting from Miami to Marathon in one day but this is partly
because we get underway later due to getting fuel first.

We can anchor in New Found Harbor which is near Little Palm (very
exclusive resort). http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/ba5f4/

Indian Key on the Hawk Channel side is a state park which should be
very interesting - we didn't get to visit.
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/ba45a/ Lignumvitae Key is on
the other side and you might be able to visit by dinghy from the Hawk
Channel side. There are moorings, but Bob had qualms about how secure
they were since when we first went there were 5 or 6 and then when we
came back there were only 2. They are free however.

We also had a good time going to the Tortugas.
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/315ec/#TL

I would prefer to anchor outside of Boot Key Harbor (and if you have a
tall mast, you will just about have to stay outside of the harbor
because there's an overhead power line just beyond the bascule bridge
and the other entrance is shallower - although I have heard of someone
with a six foot draft getting in and out of there) and I would not
particularly want to go in to any of the marinas there in Marathon.

If you do anchor and/or take a mooring in the harbor (Mooring Rate
Monthly $150.00 Includes
»Four (4) holding tank
pump outs per month
»Recycling center

(which is not too much less expensive than going in to a marina by
the time you pay for the dinghy dock) Monthly $60 for the dinghy dock
Includes
»1 Vehicle parking space
»Bicycle space
»Port-a-potty disposal center
»Garbage disposal
»Recycling center
»Lounge-Library area

and showers ($30/month)) that adds up to $240/month and you still have
to use the dinghy to get everything on to the boat and pay for laundry
and water (5 cents a gallon), and supply your own power.

NOTE: Be aware that there are many dinghy cops in Boot Key harbor and
they are quite vigilant about nailing speeders and enforcing the no
wake zones. They will also insist that you have appropriate equipment
in your dinghy with you. PFDs, lights for night operation and such
things. Sometimes they will want you to have flares.

The whole Keys area is a no discharge zone.

All the marinas on the Hawk Channel side are QUITE expensive. Key
West also has moorings if you are less than 40 feet in length. The
third week in January is usually the sailboat races and the town is
chock full of boats - they aren't allowed to raft more than 3 deep, so
some of them just kind of float free in the fairway.

If you do go in to a marina, be sure you get the whole story on the
charges.

WillT wrote:
[...]

grandma Rosalie
Parallax

"WillT" wrote in message news:7eIkd.1302$5H4.121@trndny06...
I'm planning on cruising the Florida Keys for the first time this Winter.

Any suggestions for not-to-miss places to go? We draw 6 feet and will
mainly stay on the Hawk Channel side...

Thanks!

SIX FEET, My god, youl'll be plowing grooves in the coral. Put an
angled blade on that thang and you could mudplow all our channels
deeper

anchorlt

"WillT" wrote in message news:7eIkd.1302$5H4.121@trndny06...
I'm planning on cruising the Florida Keys for the first time this Winter.

Any suggestions for not-to-miss places to go? We draw 6 feet and will
mainly stay on the Hawk Channel side...

Thanks!

Suggest that you review all available FL Keys cruise guides to guide
your decisions. I have been in and through Keys, both "inside" and
"outside," so often I am somewhat jaded and thus not in a good
position to render more counsel. Watch depths in Hawk. Charts can be
somewhat misleading in some parts, i.e., off SE end of Vaca Key and
off Key Largo, where channel is narrow and can be shoal, less than
your 6 feet. Suggest you might call other boats in questionable areas
for local knowledge. Be sure to watch channel markers very carefully
and record each of them as you pass.

Enjoy and be safe.
Florida Keyz

If you need an upper keys contact for local info , contact me off line. 6 ft.
will be tough though.