VacuumHead

Default Yacht Crewing Newbie advice

How can I find paid work on yachts? I am currently in Paris, so I
would love to sail from Europe to the Caribbean or another warm
region. 25, male, nice personality, played sports my whole life.
Hobbies include music, travel, reading, nightlife. My email is
Thank you, regards, Cory
Rob Welling

Cory,
If you're going in blind (no experience) the best thing you could do
is go to a port somewhere nearby, and just start walking the docks and
meeting people. There are often people looking for crew to help with
longer passages, and if you present yourself well, it's quite possible
that you could hop a ride to 'wherever'....Even without experience,
which, since you didn't mention any previous experience, I'm assuming
you don't have any, or have minimal at best.

However, don't let that hold you back, if you can cook, or you've
mentioned you're athletic (i.e. in good shape, not afraid of heights
and wouldn't mind a trip up the stick once in a while etc...)
whatever...there are still things you can offer to a vessel making a
passage besides seagoing ability. However, real time, on the water
experience is generally first and foremost in terms of value to a
captain, so if you can get some, do it.

Good luck...I wish you the best. It's always exciting, and I'll bet
before long you'll wind up in one of the places you mentioned in your
post.

Take care,

Capt. Rob Welling.
Sarasota, Fl

(VacuumHead) wrote in message . com...
How can I find paid work on yachts? I am currently in Paris, so I
would love to sail from Europe to the Caribbean or another warm
region. 25, male, nice personality, played sports my whole life.
Hobbies include music, travel, reading, nightlife. My email is
Thank you, regards, Cory

Cory, your hobbies do not include "sailing", so you will need to sell
yourself as willing to cook, clean, do the hard work...
check out www.lattitude38.com -- this is in San Francisco, but has lots of
info about how crewlists are put together.

Get some experience in day sailing then overnights then weekends then some
short cruising before you head across the atlantic.
And remember it will be cheaper to buy an airplane ticket than the clothes
(foul weather gear..).
Get a job (eg at Moorings) cleaning and handling charter boats...

Have fun...

om...

Yacht Crewing VacuumHead General 2 October 31st 04 08:19 PM
Update on Marina Damage -- FL Coasts anchorlt Cruising 0 September 24th 04 08:03 PM
Newbie needs advice Budd Cochran General 28 June 2nd 04 02:53 AM
Newbie Advice - Multiperson boat ownership BlueMac Cruising 4 November 20th 03 08:00 PM
Advice needed on yacht buy Jesper Bruhn Boat Building 1 July 30th 03 12:01 PM