Falky foo

Default Bottom composition info for anchorages

Hi, does anybody know of any online lists of bottom compositions at various
anchorages. ie: does Dana Point harbor have a sand or grass or mud/slime
bottom, etc.? How about Catalina? Just general lists I'm talking about. I
can't find any online but that would be damn helpful so as to figure out the
right anchor to use before getting to the place.

Thanks again, y'all've been very helpful.

Geoffrey W. Schultz

"Falky foo" wrote in
om:

Hi, does anybody know of any online lists of bottom compositions at
various anchorages. ie: does Dana Point harbor have a sand or grass
or mud/slime bottom, etc.? How about Catalina? Just general lists
I'm talking about. I can't find any online but that would be damn
helpful so as to figure out the right anchor to use before getting to
the place.

Thanks again, y'all've been very helpful.

Try looking at the charts of the area. For many areas they list the type
of bottom, but since that varies foot by foot it would be hard to put
together an exact list. Cruising guides provide a general idea for areas
outside of the US.

-- Geoff
dbraun

You don't actually need to know the bottoms of all the anchorages. Since
you are on the West coast, you will find that the cruising community has
already tied all the anchors out there and there are a few that have
really stood out a providing good holding in our local anchorages.

Since you are south of Pt. Conception, most anything that meets the
manufacturer's recommendations will work for weekending, but if you expect
to do any cruising or you wish to anchor during potential Santa Ana
conditions, you will want an all chain rode hooked up to a plow anchor of
some sort. Most of us use a Bruce, but all the plows seem to behave
similarly in our waters (unlike the differences seen in the Caribbean).

Most people seem to use a Danforth for a stern anchor, since it is light,
easy and since it won't be resetting in a 2 anchor system.

Nothing like anchors and anchoring to unleash a flame war, so let it fly
JAX.

David
s/v Nausicaa

"Falky foo" wrote in
om:

Hi, does anybody know of any online lists of bottom compositions at
various anchorages. ie: does Dana Point harbor have a sand or grass
or mud/slime bottom, etc.? How about Catalina? Just general lists
I'm talking about. I can't find any online but that would be damn
helpful so as to figure out the right anchor to use before getting to
the place.

Thanks again, y'all've been very helpful.

Alan Gomes

In a Santa Ana at Catalina Island I think an appropriately sized Fortress
would work quite well.

--Alan Gomes

"dbraun" wrote in message
lkaboutboats.com...
[...]

Shen44

Somebody said it, but to stress the importance of the point......
You want to know the bottom, check your chart. The information is there.
The Coast Pilot sometimes has information on specific anchorages and the
Harbormaster may also have recommendations and information, along with any
cruising guides for the particular area.

Shen

Graeme Cook

I just look at my echo sounder and from the shape, thichness and density of the
trace you can "read" the bottom type with a little practice.

Fair winds

Graeme
sv Leonidas