Default Whistler Handheld Radar

Hi,
I was wondering if there are any boaters out there that still use one.
Mine is still working fine and I use it every once in a while in the
fog. I would really like to find an instruction book for it. I know
it was made by Dodge Morgan's
(American Promise circumnavigation) company Controlonics probably in
the mid 70's. I expect that Apelco's LCD
radar for about the same money caused the Whistler to disappear from the
market. I was researching on the web about
Gunn Oscillators and came up with all kinds of stuff but nothing on a
Google search mentions this unit.

I can be reached at if there is anyone interested in a
discussion about this radar.
cheers john

Jim

I went right to Google, and didn't come up with anything, one site on
Dodge Morgan. I assume this is a radar detector, or maybe a radar
jammer. Could you describe this thing? Is it a radar?

I'd like to find a cell phone jammer, especially a musical ring tone
jammer, but that's another subject.

J wrote:
Hi,
I was wondering if there are any boaters out there that still use one.
Mine is still working fine and I use it every once in a while in the
fog. I would really like to find an instruction book for it. I know
it was made by Dodge Morgan's
(American Promise circumnavigation) company Controlonics probably in
the mid 70's. I expect that Apelco's LCD
radar for about the same money caused the Whistler to disappear from the
market. I was researching on the web about
Gunn Oscillators and came up with all kinds of stuff but nothing on a
Google search mentions this unit.

I can be reached at if there is anyone interested in a
discussion about this radar.
cheers john

Jim

Hi Jim,
Sorry about the delay in replying but we are still sailing out west
this time of year. Yup, it was sold as a radar. It has about a two
mile range and can track birds/planes/dinghies/ships etc and I can also
tell if you have your radar on.
You wear headphones and interpret the sounds your hear. The lower the
pitch the closer the object and if the object
warbles it is moving. It works very well overall. Someone came up
with a similiar version but with digital readout instead of headphones.
I have never seen that model or any other one other than my own. I
have been told but not sure that this type of device is similiar to the
tracking device in a stinger missle and the Phalanxe (sp?) anti missle
system used on warships.
This unit is light in weight and is worn around the neck. It is
enclosed in a white plastic box about 13" X 10"
X 8". Cruising World did an article about them in the late 70" if I
remember right. I have a copy of that article
on the boat somewhere. cheers jv

J wrote:

Hi,
I was wondering if there are any boaters out there that still use
one. Mine is still working fine and I use it every once in a while in
the fog. I would really like to find an instruction book for it. I
know it was made by Dodge Morgan's
(American Promise circumnavigation) company Controlonics probably in
the mid 70's. I expect that Apelco's LCD
radar for about the same money caused the Whistler to disappear from
the market. I was researching on the web about
Gunn Oscillators and came up with all kinds of stuff but nothing on a
Google search mentions this unit.

I can be reached at if there is anyone interested in
a discussion about this radar.
cheers john

Dave Anderer

Sorry, can't help you with any instructions, but I do remember those
units. I last saw/used one probably 15 years ago or so..