engsol

Default Finally bought a boat

As you may recall, I retired last June, moved to the Seattle
area, and went shopping for a boat. I thought it'd be kinda
like shopping for a used car...100's to choose from.

The reality was that when I narrowed my selection criteria
as to size (28-32 feet), and price, the selection was pretty
sparse. I visited every broker I could find. I read every classified
ad from a number of sources. I browsed the internet. I walked
the docks. I didn't find a boat that made my heart beat just
a bit quicker but I crawled through maybe 30 boats, and did
my own mini-survey. Good education...you wouldn't believe
some of the things I saw...loose batteries, hose clamps falling
off, duct tape, gate valves galore, sawzall maniacs, tiny snap
shackles used with stays, on and on.

One kinda funny thing...every engine was reported as having
been rebuilt in the near past, and only had about 50 hours since
then, even if it was a pile of rust, cracked hoses, leaks, etc.

At any rate, I spotted a 1974 Yankee 30 in the boat yard a couple of
weeks ago, and called the owner. He lives out of town, and had
lost interest in the boat. A survey assured me that the important
parts were fine...hull, rigging, etc. I made an offer, which was
accepted, so I now join the rest of you in not having to worry
about what to do with spare cash.

Now I have to settle on a new name. It'll either be
"Misty LoRene", after my two daughters, or
"Heather Rose" after my youngest grandaughter..

Regards, Norm B
Don White

"engsol" wrote in message
snip

Now I have to settle on a new name. It'll either be
"Misty LoRene", after my two daughters, or
"Heather Rose" after my youngest grandaughter..

Regards, Norm B

If you change the name don't forget the de-naming ceremony plus the new
christening ceremony.
http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm

Matt Colie

Norm,

In the words always spoken -

May the Good Lord Bless this vessel and all that set forth upon her.

Matt Colie - Lifelong Waterman and Perpetual Sailor

engsol wrote:

[...]

Gordon Wedman

Congratulations and welcome to the fraternity. You might want to consider
naming the boat after your daughters and the dingy after your granddaughter.
That way everyone is happy g

"engsol" wrote in message
[...]

engsol

Matt,
I plan to prevail on Neptune, but a word to the Man also
is on the agenda.
Norm B

Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
A Commodores Meanderings RGrew176 General 1 July 22nd 04 10:47 AM
What's a good sail boat to buy to live on? Wilfred Johnson Cruising 8 July 7th 04 01:57 AM
oday 25, for the beginner or not? Phracktal Cruising 12 June 7th 04 05:43 AM
I was a Mac26X owner EdGordonRN ASA 119 April 22nd 04 04:58 AM