Doug Dotson

Default Nonskid products

I'm getting close rolling on some nonskid product thus ending my
life with the evil wood deck menace

I was am planning on using Interdeck but have been told that is is not
very agressive. A suggestion was to add an Awlgrip product
that is glass beads to give it more grip. Any advice?

Doug
s/v Callista

LaBomba182

Subject: Nonskid products
From: "Doug Dotson"

I'm getting close rolling on some nonskid product thus ending my
life with the evil wood deck menace

I was am planning on using Interdeck but have been told that is is not
very agressive. A suggestion was to add an Awlgrip product
that is glass beads to give it more grip. Any advice?

Doug
s/v Callista

As I recall, my last issue of Powerboat Reports had a nonskid comparison in it.
I'll get back to you shortly when I find it.

Capt. Bill
Doug Dotson

Thanks!

Jonathan

The all time toughest non-skid product I have seen (in 30 years of
sailing) is called "Nautix-Grip" and Bruce Schwab has coated the decks
of Ocean Planet with it preparatory to the Vendee Globe.

Thank you for your interest in our product. You can contact our importer in
USA

AEROTECH- Marty & Steve

AEROTECH
3109 S Ridgewood Avenue
32119 South Daytona
FLORIDA
USA
Téléphone : 1-3867609926
Télécopie : 1-3867609923

Best regards.

Note: 1 gallon = 3.78 litres
Coverage Nautix grip: 8m² per kilo

Matthieu Taburet
New Web site!!!
www.nautix.com
NAUTIX
ZI des cinq chemins - 56520 GUIDEL - France
Tel : +33.2.97.65.32.69 - Fax: +33.2.97.65.03.54 - Mob: +33.6.15.42.36.59

--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10, for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr

Craig Bryant

The February 2003 issue of Practical Sailor did a review of nonskid deck
options, including paints, additives, and mats.
http://www.practical-sailor.com/pub/...es/4776-1.html

Doug Dotson

Interesting that Treadmaster was their #1 choice. It would be my
last choice. UGLY! I've discounted PS's reviews over the past
few years.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Craig Bryant" wrote in message
. ..
The February 2003 issue of Practical Sailor did a review of nonskid deck
options, including paints, additives, and mats.
http://www.practical-sailor.com/pub/...es/4776-1.html

Matt

Several years ago I did my deck
I wanted to use a rubber paint called Decolay, which is either made or
imported by a firm in Florida. This product supposedly dries as a rubber
like membrane that both seals the deck and provides a tough non skid
surface, and is available in several colours. Unfortunately I could not
find it available in Southern Ontario.

I ended up using a product called Skid-No-More, a latex safety paint that
contains rubber chips. It is available in a few limited colors, the whitest
being a medium grey. It can be some what lightened with pigment, with the
emphasis on somewhat.
It is a very thick paint that almost has to be troweled on.
The end result was :
- I ended up with a deck that is very comfortable with anytype of shoe or
bare feet, the deck does not get that hot
- wet or dry the deck is non skid
- the colour was a marbled gray, which camaflauges bird crap.
If appearances are not everything, I have had people who have been night
sailing with me before they saw the deck comment that the deck even wet was
great.
I did talk with the manufacturer and was told that I could mix the paint
with a quality white marine enamel, but I ended up with a goopy mess that
did not adhere so I scrapred it off (my test section was a cockpit floor
hatch)

I have previosly used silica sand sprinkled over wet paint, and while does
provide a functional non skid surface, and looks good, however it was not
comfortable underfoot and feels 'gritty'

I did use Skid-no-more on a test board and I did get a consistent colour and
texture, but I do not want a medium grey deck.

However, appearances do mean a lot, and I too am looking to repaint my deck.

Matt

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
news
I'm getting close rolling on some nonskid product thus ending my
life with the evil wood deck menace

I was am planning on using Interdeck but have been told that is is not
very agressive. A suggestion was to add an Awlgrip product
that is glass beads to give it more grip. Any advice?

Doug
s/v Callista

Jonathan

Yes, you can, through the guys in Florida, I think. Well worth it, too,
if you want to stay on deck.

Go to wipe up a paint spill on this stuff with a cloth rag and the rag
shreds.

I'll ask Bruce where he ultimately bought it, but I think it was through
the info below.

Jonathan

Doug Dotson wrote:

I'm getting close rolling on some nonskid product thus ending my
life with the evil wood deck menace

I was am planning on using Interdeck but have been told that is is not
very agressive. A suggestion was to add an Awlgrip product
that is glass beads to give it more grip. Any advice?

Doug
s/v Callista

--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10, for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr

--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10, for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr

Marco A. Garcia

Since you are talking about it....

The stuff provides one of the best antiskid surfaces I have seen, although I
don't know how durable it would be. It is supposed to be a transparent coat,
but the grid of the mix does have a slightly grey/brownish color. My problem
is that I cannot figure out how to put this paint on my decks (already
painted with white 2 pack polyurethane) and get a nice decent finish. They
recommend using a foam roller, but this method leaves strakes of the grid
all over the place. It just looks like sh.t. We also tried brushing it,
thinning it to the max, etc. no look. I did not try spraying, but I suspect
it would make no difference.

Does anyone have recommendations on how to apply this non-skid coat on white
deck surface?

regards,

Marco

PS: I'm out of the states. I order the paint directly from the producers in
france.