Doug Dotson

Comments below.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Marco A. Garcia" wrote in message
Since you are talking about it....

The stuff provides one of the best antiskid surfaces I have seen, although
don't know how durable it would be.

That's always a question. I met someone that had a very agressive non-skid
on a boat he just bought (old boat). Years of use had caused the grit to
grind into the deck thus breaking the bond. Areas of the paint (non-skid)
were peeling up like sandpaper.

It is supposed to be a transparent coat,
but the grid of the mix does have a slightly grey/brownish color.

Well, that rules it out for me.

My problem
is that I cannot figure out how to put this paint on my decks (already
painted with white 2 pack polyurethane) and get a nice decent finish. They
recommend using a foam roller, but this method leaves strakes of the grid
all over the place. It just looks like sh.t.

Rolling without streaks is an art but is possible. YOu might try tipping it
with a brush.

We also tried brushing it,
thinning it to the max, etc. no look.

Brushing would seem to be tricky.

I did not try spraying, but I suspect
it would make no difference.

I don't think you can spray anything with such an agressive grit.

Does anyone have recommendations on how to apply this non-skid coat on
white
deck surface?

I have friends that trowled on a non-skid.

regards,

Marco

PS: I'm out of the states. I order the paint directly from the producers
in
france.

"Jonathan" wrote in message
The all time toughest non-skid product I have seen (in 30 years of
sailing) is called "Nautix-Grip" and Bruce Schwab has coated the decks
of Ocean Planet with it preparatory to the Vendee Globe.

Thank you for your interest in our product. You can contact our
importer

in
USA

AEROTECH- Marty & Steve

AEROTECH
3109 S Ridgewood Avenue
32119 South Daytona
FLORIDA
USA
Téléphone : 1-3867609926
Télécopie : 1-3867609923

Best regards.

Note: 1 gallon = 3.78 litres
Coverage Nautix grip: 8m² per kilo

Matthieu Taburet
New Web site!!!
www.nautix.com
NAUTIX
ZI des cinq chemins - 56520 GUIDEL - France
Tel : +33.2.97.65.32.69 - Fax: +33.2.97.65.03.54 - Mob:

+33.6.15.42.36.59

Doug Dotson wrote:
I'm getting close rolling on some nonskid product thus ending my
life with the evil wood deck menace

I was am planning on using Interdeck but have been told that is is not
very agressive. A suggestion was to add an Awlgrip product
that is glass beads to give it more grip. Any advice?

Doug
s/v Callista

--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10, for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr

Doug Dotson

"Jonathan" wrote in message
Yes, you can, through the guys in Florida, I think. Well worth it, too, if
you want to stay on deck.

I doubt if this is the only product that will keep me on deck

Go to wipe up a paint spill on this stuff with a cloth rag and the rag
shreds.

Sounds like a poor attribute to me. My dog and cat may not
like their feet turned to meatloaf. Come to think of it, my feet are
pretty important to me as well.

I'll ask Bruce where he ultimately bought it, but I think it was through
the info below.

Don't bother. Doesn't sound like a product that I would be happy with.

Jonathan

Doug Dotson wrote:
Doesn't look like I can get it in the US.

Doug
s/v Callista

Doug Dotson wrote:

I'm getting close rolling on some nonskid product thus ending my
life with the evil wood deck menace

I was am planning on using Interdeck but have been told that is is not
very agressive. A suggestion was to add an Awlgrip product
that is glass beads to give it more grip. Any advice?

Doug
s/v Callista

--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10, for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr

--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10, for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr

Doug Dotson

I don't think a Latex paint is recommend for this application. This
particular product got some pretty poor reviews. I can;t imagine
that someone recommended to mix it with a marine paint. I
assume that a polyurethane paint would never mix well with a Latex
paint. Looking at the ads for Skid-No-More in the WM catalog,
it doesn't look like it is made for boat decks.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Matt" wrote in message
Several years ago I did my deck
I wanted to use a rubber paint called Decolay, which is either made or
imported by a firm in Florida. This product supposedly dries as a rubber
like membrane that both seals the deck and provides a tough non skid
surface, and is available in several colours. Unfortunately I could not
find it available in Southern Ontario.

I ended up using a product called Skid-No-More, a latex safety paint that
contains rubber chips. It is available in a few limited colors, the
whitest
being a medium grey. It can be some what lightened with pigment, with the
emphasis on somewhat.
It is a very thick paint that almost has to be troweled on.
The end result was :
- I ended up with a deck that is very comfortable with anytype of shoe or
bare feet, the deck does not get that hot
- wet or dry the deck is non skid
- the colour was a marbled gray, which camaflauges bird crap.
If appearances are not everything, I have had people who have been night
sailing with me before they saw the deck comment that the deck even wet
was
great.
I did talk with the manufacturer and was told that I could mix the paint
with a quality white marine enamel, but I ended up with a goopy mess that
did not adhere so I scrapred it off (my test section was a cockpit floor
hatch)

I have previosly used silica sand sprinkled over wet paint, and while does
provide a functional non skid surface, and looks good, however it was not
comfortable underfoot and feels 'gritty'

I did use Skid-no-more on a test board and I did get a consistent colour
and
texture, but I do not want a medium grey deck.

However, appearances do mean a lot, and I too am looking to repaint my
deck.

Matt

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
news
I'm getting close rolling on some nonskid product thus ending my
life with the evil wood deck menace

I was am planning on using Interdeck but have been told that is is not
very agressive. A suggestion was to add an Awlgrip product
that is glass beads to give it more grip. Any advice?

Doug
s/v Callista

Skipper

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:36:29 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

I don't think a Latex paint is recommend for this application. This
particular product got some pretty poor reviews. I can;t imagine
that someone recommended to mix it with a marine paint. I
assume that a polyurethane paint would never mix well with a Latex
paint. Looking at the ads for Skid-No-More in the WM catalog,
it doesn't look like it is made for boat decks.

Doug
s/v Callista

I thought someone else would suggest it. There are two well known
things to add to a good deck paint. One is cork. Take a saw and save
the sawdust from sawing cork. Sift out the fine stuff. The larger
"cork sawdust" will give a good non-skid in a good topsides paint.
The other is regular sand or silica sand. Sift it to remove the
fine dust and the oversized sand. You can have a very aggressive
non-skid or a regular non-skid. It depends upon how much and what size
you use. If your non-skid is too aggressive, add another coat of paint
and it will be less aggressive.
Simple, good, inexpensive....

It has weathered well for 2 years and adheres well.
Excluding appearances, the functionality is great.
To fix the appearance, I contacted the manufacturer ...
The concept of mixing it with marine paint (Interlux enamel #1 white) was
the recommendation of the Skid-no-more's factory.
The paint did not adhere, and was just a goopy mess, so I scraped it off and
threw it out.

I hope my experience with it came across as - it may work, but, it lives in
the 'not recommended' category.

There are a number of marine sites that suggest it for decks - that may be
how I got the idea to use it. Live and learn.

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

Lee Huddleston

Check out a product called Durabak which is made specifically for
decks. Their website is www.nonslipcoating.com

No connection with the company or personal experience with the product
yet. But their marketing has me mostly convinced.

Lee Huddleston
s/v Truelove

Jonathan

I am 98% sure they sprayed it on Ocean Planet, and got good, even
distribution of the particulate matter.

The hull and deck color are the same off white this time around and I
didn't see any noticeable difference in tint between the non-skid areas
and the rest of the paint job.

In applying any non-skid, keeping it stirred up enough to keep the
particulate matter in suspension for even distribution is key, and a hassle.

The sense of security the stuff provides on a wet deck set a new
benchmark in my experience. We used to use ground pumice, but the Nautix
Grip made that feel like baby wipes.

Oddly enough it didn't feel "bad" on bare feet, but you didn't want to
drag your feet or fall on it. You simply do not slide at all, which is,
of course, the point.

Jonathan

Marco A. Garcia wrote:
Since you are talking about it....

The stuff provides one of the best antiskid surfaces I have seen, although I
don't know how durable it would be. It is supposed to be a transparent coat,
but the grid of the mix does have a slightly grey/brownish color. My problem
is that I cannot figure out how to put this paint on my decks (already
painted with white 2 pack polyurethane) and get a nice decent finish. They
recommend using a foam roller, but this method leaves strakes of the grid
all over the place. It just looks like sh.t. We also tried brushing it,
thinning it to the max, etc. no look. I did not try spraying, but I suspect
it would make no difference.

Doug Dotson wrote:

I'm getting close rolling on some nonskid product thus ending my
life with the evil wood deck menace

I was am planning on using Interdeck but have been told that is is not
very agressive. A suggestion was to add an Awlgrip product
that is glass beads to give it more grip. Any advice?

Doug
s/v Callista

--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10, for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr

--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10, for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr

Doug Dotson

Comments below.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Jonathan" wrote in message
I am 98% sure they sprayed it on Ocean Planet, and got good, even
distribution of the particulate matter.

Interesting. I'll have to bounce that off my friends that work here in the
marina.

The hull and deck color are the same off white this time around and I
didn't see any noticeable difference in tint between the non-skid areas
and the rest of the paint job.

That is what I am after, but I'm doing everything in white.

In applying any non-skid, keeping it stirred up enough to keep the
particulate matter in suspension for even distribution is key, and a
hassle.

I wonder how they keep it mixed when using a sprayer? I guess they
could shake it unless they are using a pressure pot.

The sense of security the stuff provides on a wet deck set a new benchmark
in my experience. We used to use ground pumice, but the Nautix Grip made
that feel like baby wipes.

I'm more worried about my knees and things like my foulies.

Oddly enough it didn't feel "bad" on bare feet, but you didn't want to
drag your feet or fall on it. You simply do not slide at all, which is, of
course, the point.

I don;t think we have established where to get it yey. SOunds like a
good product.

Jonathan

Doug Dotson wrote:

I'm getting close rolling on some nonskid product thus ending my
life with the evil wood deck menace

I was am planning on using Interdeck but have been told that is is not
very agressive. A suggestion was to add an Awlgrip product
that is glass beads to give it more grip. Any advice?

Doug
s/v Callista

--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10, for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr

--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10, for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr

Jonathan

Doug Dotson wrote:
Comments below.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Jonathan" wrote in message

I am 98% sure they sprayed it on Ocean Planet, and got good, even
distribution of the particulate matter.

....snip....

The sense of security the stuff provides on a wet deck set a new benchmark
in my experience. We used to use ground pumice, but the Nautix Grip made
that feel like baby wipes.

I'm more worried about my knees and things like my foulies.

Then it is probably not for you.

I dove under the lifelines one time to get onboard (OP at dock needs
steps to get up onto) and wound up with pronounced "road rash" on my
arm. But, having once experienced losing my footing, sliding to leeward,
and staying onboard *only* because my lifeline tether was hooked up, I
*really, really,* like the idea of superior traction.

Walking on it, no problem. Kneeling on it, no problem. Dragging along
it...maybe not so good

Oddly enough it didn't feel "bad" on bare feet, but you didn't want to
drag your feet or fall on it. You simply do not slide at all, which is, of
course, the point.

I don;t think we have established where to get it yey. SOunds like a
good product.

in USA, buy it at:

AEROTECH- Marty & Steve

AEROTECH