Jonathan

Default Ocean Planet educational efforts

I am posting Bruce Schwab's announcement of a new educational partner
for the Vendee Globe.........

Ocean Planet/USA 05 Update from Bruce Schwab:
Friday, September 3, 2004

Relentless

That's right, I said I was scared. But if someone ISN'T a little scared
of the challenges faced before and during the Vendee Globe, then they
are REALLY nuts.

But lest you think that I am just a heap of doom and gloom, keep in mind
how we have come. Also don't forget something about me that you should
know by now:

I Never Quit.

We may be short of cash and out of credit, but we DO have lots of good
news. Over the next few weeks I will filling you in on many of our
fantastic supplier sponsors who products will help get Ocean Planet
around the world. BUT FIRST:

News Release!
Bigelow Laboratory and Ocean Planet forge Educational Link

West Boothbay Harbor, Maine (September 3rd) -- Bigelow Laboratory for
Ocean Sciences and The Made in America Foundation today announced an
innovative educational partnership and outreach project, which will
start in mid-September 2004.

Bigelow will collaborate with Bruce Schwab, the Skipper of Ocean Planet,
to provide Web-based oceanographic education programs during Schwab's
upcoming attempt to win the Vendee Globe race. The Vendee Globe is a
grueling solo, non–stop, around-the-world race. Schwab is the only
American entrant.

Bigelow's and Ocean Planet's web sites (www.bigelow.org,
www.bruceschwab.com) will be linked together. Bigelow will provide a
series of ocean science web references that will follow the race. The
sites will also feature weekly journals that Schwab will post via
satellite email.

Students, educators, researchers, scientists, and others throughout the
world will be able to read about Schwab's observations and experiences,
then dive in deeper through Bigelow's in-depth web links. The program is
designed with students and educators in mind, but will benefit students
of all ages and interest levels. Teachers can log on to either website
to find a compelling oceanographic education tool that provides an
exciting, relevant approach to understanding world's oceans.

Schwab's journal entries will also help viewers gain an understanding of
what it's like to navigate and sail in the most remote areas on the planet.

Topics on the web-site relate to the oceanographic processes that will
be encountered during the race, including:

* the Gulf Stream
* upwelling and productivity
* hurricane formation
* mid-ocean ridges
* major currents
* temperature and salinity
* winds and waves
* icebergs and sea-ice
* Amazon River outflow.

About Bigelow Laboratory:
Based in West Boothbay Harbor, Maine, Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean
Sciences is a world-renowned not for profit organization dedicated to
marine research and education. Bigelow's principal concern is the
biological productivity of the world's oceans. Bigelow is supported by
federal research grants and private funds, with the National Science
Foundation as the key agency.

About Ocean Planet:
Ocean Planet was built by the not for profit The Made in America
Foundation to race in the solo Around Alone & Vendee Globe Races. The
Made in America Foundation's mission is to create an educational
platform to promote the importance of our world's oceans through the
excitement, adventure and dynamic realities of sailing at the edges of
our Earth, which is truly an Ocean Planet.

***

For More Information Contact:

Donna Cheney, Chair

Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences
P.O. Box 475, McKown Point Road
West Boothbay Harbor, ME 04575
207-633-9600

Ocean Planet
Geoffrey P. Lamdin
12 Quarry Road
Brunswick, Maine 04011
207-725-1271

Not bad, eh?

Bruce Schwab, Skipper
USA 05/Ocean Planet
Web:
www.bruceschwab.com
Education: www.oceanplanet.org
Email:
Phone: 843-670-6582

This American team for the Vendee Globe is made possible by your
donations to The Made in America Foundation
(
www.bruceschwab.com/support.cfm), and our supplier sponsors:

Coast-Line International: www.coast-lineintl.com
Doyle Sailmakers: www.doylesails.com
Equiplite lightweight connectors: www.equiplite.com
Infomatrix: www.infomatrix-usa.com
MAS Epoxies: www.masepoxies.com
MOT Intermodal Shipping: www.motintermodal.com
& Shipco Transport: www.shipco.com
Nobeltec navigation software/Insight Radar 2: www.nobeltec.com
Portland Yacht Services: www.portlandyacht.com
Sailing Anarchy: www.sailinganarchy.com
Samson rope technologies: www.samsonrope.com
seaPro performance racing softwa www.euronav.co.uk
Shipyard Brewery/Capt's Eli's Root Beer: www.captneli.com
Solara Energy Systems: www.solaraenergy.com
WoodenBoat Magazine: www.woodenboat.com

Join our team: www.bruceschwab.com/sponsorship.cfm

Enjoy, all.

Jonathan
--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10, for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr