JAXAshby

Not being able to get
out on the water recently makes me obsessive.

do as I do, sail a Sunfish (the classic model without the sissy footwell). No
worry about fuel. :-)
Matt Colie

Well Jax,

You have got to tell us how you got a Sunfish without the footwell.

The only one ever build was a mismakenly built (too much beam) Sailfish.
It was plywood and so were all the Sunfish that he built to use the
Sailfish rig and other parts. Other people liked it, and still had
trouble staying on the board, so he built all the remainder with the
"cockpit" until Alcort bought the design from him and made them in plastic.

If it was made by Alcort, is plastic and has the less beam, then it is a
Sailfish (different class).

If it is plastic and has the 4'1" beam, then it is a knock-off made in
the mid ti late sixties by several comanies that are gone now.

Matt Colie (as a small boat sailor)
Lifelong Waterman, and Perpetual Sailor

JAXAshby wrote:
Not being able to get
out on the water recently makes me obsessive.

do as I do, sail a Sunfish (the classic model without the sissy footwell). No
worry about fuel. :-)

JAXAshby

Unfortunately, till mid or late September,
the air is deathly still except during thunderstorms here.

so, we don't sail unless thunderstorms are likely.
Andreas Borchert

Terry Spragg wrote:
Chris Newport wrote:
If the hull is not designed for planing under power you
will not be able exceed the hull speed, so more power is
a waste.

Twaddle.

More power = more speed.

This has an asymptotical limit, though.

Andreas.

--
Dr. Andreas F. Borchert, SAI, Universitaet Ulm | Habe Mut, dich deines
Helmholtzstrasse 18, E02, Tel +49 731 50-23572 | eigenen Verstandes zu
Chris Newport

On Friday 27 August 2004 10:23 am in rec.boats.cruising Andreas Borchert
wrote:

Terry Spragg wrote:
Chris Newport wrote:
If the hull is not designed for planing under power you
will not be able exceed the hull speed, so more power is
a waste.

Twaddle.

More power = more speed.

This has an asymptotical limit, though.

Given enough thrust, pigs fly just fine; although this is
not necessarily a good idea.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently

JAXAshby

More power = more speed.

This has an asymptotical limit, though.

bull****, doc. you may well know what the the word "asymptotical" means but
you don't know squat about the shape of the power curve of a boat at or
anywhere near hull speed.

Andreas.