JAXAshby

the function becomes
more like a square root function, which is mathematically definately not an
asymptote.

Meindert

watch it, Meindert. dougies is now going to spend two days and five posts
trying to show *you* are wrong when you say a square function is no asymptotic.
DSK

Meindert Sprang wrote:
These figures are not realistic. Up to the point of the hull speed they
resemble reality, but as soon as the hull starts planing, more 'ordinary'
rules of resistance/drag apply and as far as I know the function becomes
more like a square root function, which is mathematically definately not an
asymptote.

Well, there's your mistake. A hull under planing conditions is subject
to normal drag, including air resistance. It no longer is subject to
wave-making resistance, but that doesn't mean that *all* resistance goes
away. And the function for increase is a multiple of velocity squared,
which will have an asymptote.

DSK

Meindert Sprang

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Well, there's your mistake. A hull under planing conditions is subject
to normal drag, including air resistance. It no longer is subject to
wave-making resistance, but that doesn't mean that *all* resistance goes
away. And the function for increase is a multiple of velocity squared,
which will have an asymptote.

Ok, I'm going to argue this one only once: by mathematical definition, a
squared function is NOT asymptotic. Because, as you can read in any
mathematics book, an asymptote reaches infinity on one axis for a defined
value on the other axis, while a squared function can reach infinity on both
axes.

Meindert
PS: thanks for the warning Jax but he was quicker than you thought.....:-)

DSK

Meindert Sprang wrote:
Ok, I'm going to argue this one only once: by mathematical definition, a
squared function is NOT asymptotic. Because, as you can read in any
mathematics book, an asymptote reaches infinity on one axis for a defined
value on the other axis, while a squared function can reach infinity on both
axes.

Oh, OK. I see now...

Please explain further... the power/speed graph can reach infinity on
both axes? Does this mean that we can have negative horsepower? That
would make for excellent fuel efficiency!

DSK

Meindert Sprang

"DSK" wrote in message
Meindert Sprang wrote:
Ok, I'm going to argue this one only once: by mathematical definition, a
squared function is NOT asymptotic. Because, as you can read in any
mathematics book, an asymptote reaches infinity on one axis for a

defined
value on the other axis, while a squared function can reach infinity on

both
axes.

Oh, OK. I see now...

Please explain further... the power/speed graph can reach infinity on
both axes? Does this mean that we can have negative horsepower? That
would make for excellent fuel efficiency!

Sigh! With both axes I mean X and Y axis. And in our case only in the first
quadrant, where X and Y are positive.

Meindert

DSK

Meindert Sprang wrote:
Sigh! With both axes I mean X and Y axis. And in our case only in the first
quadrant, where X and Y are positive.

Dammit, another great idea shot down... I thought we could have a boat
where if you put the engine in gear while you were sailing, it would
actually *produce* fuel.

Anyway, the power/speed curve will "approach infinity" much much much
sooner along the power axis (usually Y) than the speed axis (usually X).
That's the whole point.

Fresh Breezes
Doug King

Brian Whatcott

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 00:32:59 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes
wrote:

I am puzzled. What quantity approaches an asymptote and against what
independent variable?
Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Count me as lunatic fringe. I see planing boats every day.
What you describe is not an asymptotic relation.
Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

I hold that the situation I describe, though fanciful, is aptly
called asymptotic. Telling me that my description is not asymptotic as
I describe it, is called an assertion "Ex Cathedra". How are your
ecclesiastical affiliations?

//
If on further consideration, you might allow that there is SOME upper
power and speed for a given hull, then perhaps you might even describe
the relation as asymptotic?
Brian Whatcott Altus OK

No. Unless you can show an asymptotic function (mathematical) that
describes the situation.

///
In any case it is only a metaphor.
Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Let me rise to the challenge, and hopefully demetaphoricate this
mathematical concept a little more for you with a worked example, as
given at the following URL
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/asymtote4.htm

Take a look at the third worked example on this page, it carries a
numerator in the second power, and a denominator in the first power.

This is somewhat like a practical thrust versus speed relation for a
hull. You will notice there may be a vertical asymptote, a slant
asymptote or a horizontal asymptote (though not both the latter,
obviously)

Hope this helps? It may also be responsive to Meindert's view [below]: