Don White

Default Proposed mandatory PFD law

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
snip...

Wow...hyperbole is alive & well south of the border!

Don White

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
You've made a good point. Now, suppose that you are diving. You are
at one of the popular dive spots... a defunct NOAA tower 30 miles off
shore from Cape Fear, in the Atlantic Ocean. How would you mark your
boat to show that there were divers in the water? If you feel that a
flag is an appropriate warning, (1) is the flag, alone, sufficient and
(2) what would it look like?

--

** Ah.....the old commercial diver blue/white(official?) flag vs the
recreational (familiar) red flag with the white stripe.

Vito

"Don White" wrote
In this area we legislate bicycle drivers to wear a helmet for obvious
reasons. (our medical system paid by gov't from our taxes)

Hate to bust your bubble Don but we don't have a tax funded medical system
in the USA. If I need medical care my private insurer won't cover and I
can't afford then I die.

Don White

"Vito" wrote in message
"Don White" wrote
In this area we legislate bicycle drivers to wear a helmet for obvious
reasons. (our medical system paid by gov't from our taxes)

Hate to bust your bubble Don but we don't have a tax funded medical system
in the USA. If I need medical care my private insurer won't cover and I
can't afford then I die.

Well..you'd better do your best to get Hillary elected to an influential
position. She'll bring some sense to the madness.

Scott McFadden

Earl Colby Pottinger wrote in message ...

The problem is there are just too many accidents/drownings where the life
jackets are missing.

snip

Woman diver in training killed by boat not avoiding area defined by a diver's
flag.

The way to avoid an oncoming boat is to duck under it, not float
around on surface like a bobber. So, wear a PFD in this scenario is a
death sentence.

Also, aren't a good percentage of "drownings" the result of
hypothermia? I say the heck with "half-measures", like PFDs. I think a
+-$2000 custom fitted drysuit should be required to be worn, at all
times, by all persons boating in waters cooler than 65F.

You see, I'm just trying to "save" people, and that makes me "feel" oh
so good about myself.

Of course, since I'm in Fla this prudent "safety" requirement would
not pertain to me.
--
SJM

Jeff Morris

You have a good point. Florida leads the country in boating fatalities (over
the last 5 years), but is lagging behind in drownings. However, you make up the
difference by having the largest number of non-drowning boating fatalities,
caused by leading the way (by a huge margin) in collisions with fixed objects.

Clearly, while Florida may deserve an exemption for PFD's, they should be
required to build all bridges out of foam rubber.

http://www.uscgboating.org/statistic...stics_2002.pdf

"Scott McFadden" wrote in message
om...
Also, aren't a good percentage of "drownings" the result of
hypothermia? I say the heck with "half-measures", like PFDs. I think a
+-$2000 custom fitted drysuit should be required to be worn, at all
times, by all persons boating in waters cooler than 65F.

You see, I'm just trying to "save" people, and that makes me "feel" oh
so good about myself.

Of course, since I'm in Fla this prudent "safety" requirement would
not pertain to me.
--
SJM

Don White

"Scott McFadden" wrote in message
snip

Also, aren't a good percentage of "drownings" the result of
hypothermia? I say the heck with "half-measures", like PFDs. I think a
+-$2000 custom fitted drysuit should be required to be worn, at all
times, by all persons boating in waters cooler than 65F.

You see, I'm just trying to "save" people, and that makes me "feel" oh
so good about myself.

Of course, since I'm in Fla this prudent "safety" requirement would
not pertain to me.
--
SJM

Not as crazy as you think. lots of people up here would like to see the
fishermen wear something like that ...especially during the winter season.
Water gets damn cold. Why just last week the lifeguards posted the water
temperature at 8 C at a very popular local surfing beach.

Brian Whatcott

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:01:18 -0400, "Vito" wrote:

"Don White" wrote
In this area we legislate bicycle drivers to wear a helmet for obvious
reasons. (our medical system paid by gov't from our taxes)

Hate to bust your bubble Don but we don't have a tax funded medical system
in the USA. If I need medical care my private insurer won't cover and I
can't afford then I die.

It's true; that's what many of us think. In fact, we have an expensive
public health care system provided by County Hospitals, who provide
indigent care. The expended costs are staggering.

Brian W

DUINK

Wrong again.......all hospitals are required to provide emergency care,
regardless of financial condition or citizenship (part of CA's problem). The
hospital can hound you for payment, turn your account over to a collection
agency, and charge everyone else more (including those who wear their PFD's)
but they can't refuse to provide emergency care.
Don White

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

Well done, old fellow and esteemed captain, you have earned yourself a
gold star and provided safety and solace to those divers that dive
past the COLREGS....

Why..thank you, thank you very much.
Those Canadian Power & Sail Squadron courses keep paying for themselves.