SASIINC

Default Nice area to spend the weekend?

I'm docked at Hewitts Cove in Hingham MA. Does anyone know any nice places to
spend the weekend not in Boston, but north of or south of Boston. Nice
restoraunt would be nice and some activities, things to do. We did P Town and
Boston. But would like to visit someplace different.
Thanks In Advance,
Frank
Jeff Morris

Salem is the best bet. Its about a 20 mile trip for you - 10 miles from the
entrance to the North channel up to Marblehead Rock.

You can reserve a mooring at several places in the harbor - We use Salem Water
Taxi because the free launch dock space is at Pickering Wharf, the heart of the
waterfront; or you can use Hawthorne Cove, or West Shore Marine (the Rockmore).
You can also can dock space at Pickering Wharf or Hawthorne Cove, but its not
really needed.

This is a "tourist trap" with lots of restaurants (including the Rockmore,
floating in the middle of the harbor), The spectacular new Peabody-Essex Museum,
lots of witch and pirate things for the kids, and a host of shops and smaller
museums. This has become our favorite long weekend place - we've been there
several times for July 4th.

If you want quieter, Manchester-by-the-Sea is a few miles east - you can get
dockspace from Manchester Marine.

South of Boston you can go to Scituate - there are several mooring/launch
services (E-Z Rider, Cedar Point) and a number of restaurant and shops ashore.
It has become our preferred stop on the way to the Cape Cod Canal.

Here's some interesting write-ups,curiously they left out Salem:
http://www.bostonsailingcenter.com/C...Harbor%20Index

e-mail me if you have more specific questions,
jeff

"SASIINC" wrote in message
I'm docked at Hewitts Cove in Hingham MA. Does anyone know any nice places to
spend the weekend not in Boston, but north of or south of Boston. Nice
restoraunt would be nice and some activities, things to do. We did P Town and
Boston. But would like to visit someplace different.
Thanks In Advance,
Frank

Capt Lou

Provincetown and Salem are two of my favorite weekend destinations. Scituate
and Plymouth rate up there too, but I am there a lot by car! Cape Ann Marina in
Gloucester can be fun and so can Newburyport. If you like spending time on the
beach, you can visit the marina at Humarock. Quieter weekend destinations would
include Beverly and Cohasset.

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.
Albert P. Belle Isle

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:48:21 GMT, wrote:

On 26 Jul 2004,
(Capt Lou) wrote:

*** Cape Ann Marina in Gloucester can
be fun and so can Newburyport. ***

In terms of "local knowledge" stuff to watch out for, what more or
less are the generally prevailing conditions for a sailboat in/out of
Newburyport to/from the Ocean?

Coming from the south, what is a good/recommended lay-over the day
before getting to Newburyport?

Capt Lou,

There are often confused seas right over the bar between the two
jetties, and they can be hazardous for small boats if you have 4 ft
swells from the east bucking up against the 1.5kt (or so) ebb tide
current. In those circumstances, the entrance earns its reputation.
With other tide conditions and/or lesser seas it's really no big deal,
though there's often an east wind to create some chop at ebb.

The channel is quite narrow, but very well marked. Be sure to look at
chart #13282, as #13274 lacks its details about the entrance.

The Coast Pilot (Chapter 9, pp 335+) has some good details.

The entrance is bounded by a pair of rock jetties that are partially
submerged at high water, and whose outer ends should not be cut too
closely in those conditions. (There's a day mark tower almost at the
eastern end of the north jetty.)

Come in between the two jetties into the channel close to the
(east-west-running) north jetty; follow that jetty as it bends right
(more northward); and then hang left around the can and follow the
traffic (usually pretty heavy on weekends).

There is limited space along the town dock, which is over 2nm in from
the entrance. Just before you reach it is the American Yacht Club, and
between the two is one of the two marinas that constitute Newburyport
Harbor Marina, which sometimes has transient slips (channel 71). All
are on the south bank of the river. There is also the Bridge Marina on
the north (Salisbury) bank.

Be sure to transit the 2 nm downstream of them with a healthy respect
for the shoal water that runs right up to the southern edge of the
channel. (Woodbridge Island is under water except at low tide, and the
Half-tide rocks are well-named.)

If you could make your "weekend" be mid-week, the traffic would be
signifacnly reduced, and most of the town's many tourist attractions
would be open and less crowded. It's a very pretty town, but it _is_ a
tourist spot.

For a layover port to the south, you might try Salem, Gloucester or
Sandy Bay/Rockport Harbor.

Al
s/v Persephone
Newburyport, MA