Default Shake and Break, part 8 - April 30

On 5/10/2015 8:23 AM, Flying Pig wrote:

We also have a Fortress 37 KD and in a bag, along with the 50'/150
5/16G40 chain/1"MegaBraid bag. We've never deployed it. Two
larger-than-dinghy (maybe 25#) Danforth-style have been used in the past
when we've wanted to not swing with the current, as dual stern anchors.
We had to tighten the lines from time to time, but they were OK to the
purpose.

L8R

Skip, off Fowl Cay National Park

I had a Fortress but found it'd plane in a current on its way down on
occasion. It was rather odd seeing an anchor not head straight or almost
straight down. I think mine was a 23 or about 15 lbs. I am going
entirely by memory. It worked well and would have been a boon if I ever
had to row an anchor out. Heck, I could almost swim this one out if
needed (never tried).

My guess is your 37 would be highly effective in the bottoms that
Danforth style anchors work best in.

Given you're in the Bahamas, doesn't anybody use a Bahamian moor to
limit boat swing?

---

"slide" wrote in message ...

Given you're in the Bahamas, doesn't anybody use a Bahamian moor to

limit boat swing?

Rarely, any more. They were mostly to overcome the shortcomings of the CQR,
Danforth/Fortress and other second- or first-generation anchors which didn't
reset well.

The new third-generation (Rocna and lookalikes, Spade, et. al.) anchors
generally stay put. Indeed, the Rocna folks caution against the typical in
telling their prospects NOT to oversize it. That was before we knew that,
so went up two sizes (the Delta secondary is one up).

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not
fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

On Sun, 10 May 2015 13:09:58 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

The new third-generation (Rocna and lookalikes, Spade, et. al.) anchors
generally stay put. Indeed, the Rocna folks caution against the typical in
telling their prospects NOT to oversize it. That was before we knew that,
so went up two sizes (the Delta secondary is one up).

===

We've had both a Rocna and a Spade, and they are both terrific
anchors. With the Spade we did go a size or two larger than necessary
(125 pounds) and at times our windlass could barely get it up from
deep water. Coming up from 50+ feet with the combined weight of
anchor, chain and attached mud was a real struggle. We ended up
downsizing to an 88 lb Rocna and it seems like a better compromise.