Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default Shake and Break, part 8 - April 30

"slide" wrote in message ...

On 5/5/2015 8:19 AM, Flying Pig wrote:

Skip, filling his tanks again with what Windfinder expects to be as much
as 2" of rain

Skip

Do you treat the water gathered off your decks before consuming?

I'm curious why you have such massive ground tackle. What's the
displacement of your boat?

-paul

---

Hi, Paul,

No, and we have a biologist with CDC in the family who tells us we needn't
treat it - but it won't hurt if you do - but we put 3 capfuls (about a
tablespoon) of Clorox down a 195G tank, and 2 the 120G.

However, we do scrub the decks and let a great amount of water flow by
before putting up our little dam.

Today, we had a real frog-strangler. The water was running so hard that the
1.5" pipe couldn't take it fast enough, and the floaty on the deck key was
floating above the torrent. Filled the big tank and the gravity 50G
(meaning it filled via the head created in the fill pipe to the main tank
under it) in no time. Watching to know when to shut it off had the 50G tank
filling from a 3/8" pipe in about 15 minutes.

Thank you Lord!

We have a 44,000 boat. One rule of thumb would have us have not less than
88#. The factory anchor was a 45# CQR, vastly ill-chosen for real cruising;
a dayhop in the Virgins (where she started life), maybe.

As to what we DO have, we like to sleep at night. We may, but have yet to,
drag. But I'm certain in any situation I can imagine, it will outperform our
prior primary anchor, a 55# delta. We HAVE dragged with that on a few
occasions...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not
fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson