Default Shake and Break, part 8 - April 30

On Wed, 06 May 2015 21:49:21 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

On Thu, 07 May 2015 07:02:06 +0700, wrote:
On Wed, 06 May 2015 15:56:06 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:
On Wed, 06 May 2015 10:23:38 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 05 May 2015 16:12:04 -0600, slide
wrote:

I'm curious why you have such massive ground tackle. What's the
displacement of your boat?

===

Heavy ground tackle is the cheapest insurance you can buy, especially
if you cruise in an area known for strong thunderstorms and wind
squalls. Some light weight anchors have a great deal of holding power
*if* they are carefully set in their preferred bottom type, and *if*
the wind does not change direction during the night, and *if* there is
never a need to set the anchor while the boat is moving.

I've heard of people who carry a heavy anchor stowed away for extreme
conditions. That's all well and good if you have time to dig out the
storm anchor and get it shackled up but I personally prefer to have my
best anchor on the bow and ready too deploy when needed.

You should modify your preference. Having that heavy pig of an
anchor ready to go is smart. Having it on the bow is dumb. Instead,
try storing it all shackled up and ready to go but on chocks
amidships. Keep the weight off the ends to decrease the hobby-horsing.

The problem with such a statement is that while it sounds logical it
really isn't correct.

Longitudinal stability is not effected about the amount of weigh in
the ends, per se. It is the percentage of the vessel's total weight in
the ends that has the effect.

A sixty or seventy Kg. anchor in the bow of a , say 25 - 26 foot, toy
boat will likely have a decided effect on longitudinal stability while
the same weight on a, again lets say, 50 ft., properly built, cruising
boat will likely not even be noticed.

You speak without knowledge of immutable laws of physics.

The heavier the pendulum the longer it swings.

Ah, but a boat isn't a pendulum, it is a
tetter-totter. Unless, of course, your boat floats in a vertical
position, bow down. Sort of like a buoy that marks an anchorage.
--
Cheers,

Bruce

On 5/5/2015 4:24 PM, Flying Pig wrote:

Hi, Paul,

No, and we have a biologist with CDC in the family who tells us we
needn't treat it - but it won't hurt if you do - but we put 3 capfuls
(about a tablespoon) of Clorox down a 195G tank, and 2 the 120G.

However, we do scrub the decks and let a great amount of water flow by
before putting up our little dam.

Today, we had a real frog-strangler. The water was running so hard that
the 1.5" pipe couldn't take it fast enough, and the floaty on the deck
key was floating above the torrent. Filled the big tank and the gravity
50G (meaning it filled via the head created in the fill pipe to the main
tank under it) in no time. Watching to know when to shut it off had the
50G tank filling from a 3/8" pipe in about 15 minutes.

Thank you Lord!

We have a 44,000 boat. One rule of thumb would have us have not less
than 88#. The factory anchor was a 45# CQR, vastly ill-chosen for real
cruising; a dayhop in the Virgins (where she started life), maybe.

As to what we DO have, we like to sleep at night. We may, but have yet
to, drag. But I'm certain in any situation I can imagine, it will
outperform our prior primary anchor, a 55# delta. We HAVE dragged with
that on a few occasions...

L8R

Skip

I never felt ok about doing this given the bird s**t I had to rinse off
of the decks and the often serious diseases carried in that stuff. I
kept a tarp to deploy in cases of rain instead of bare decks. Even so I
did the Clorox trick as well.

My last boat was a 42' 35k lb displacement so a bit smaller than yours
but I suspect a good deal less windage. I had no issues with a 35#
Danforth with an all chain rode except in oysters where nothing holds
anyway. I suppose heavier has no issues except you need to winch.

I had a winch but didn't use it all too often. I also had a plough about
70# for storms but rarely deployed it. Some like a fisherman for rocks
but I figured the plough would suffice if I ever had that bottom which I
never did. What shapes are you anchors? Do you also have a lunch hook?

---

On Thu, 07 May 2015 11:01:03 -0600, slide wrote:

[...]

A clean tarp is a much better idea. I would hesitate to drink water
gathered off the decks even when Cloroxed but it sure could be used
safely for bathing, laundry, etc. I suspect most of the water Skippy
collects is used for bathing, cleaning and laundry. I have found that
one conceited woman with long hair can use 25-50 gallons of water a
day.

My last boat was a 42' 35k lb displacement so a bit smaller than yours
but I suspect a good deal less windage.

No kidding!!! I've seen photos of Skippy's "Flying Pig" and the poor
boat has more crap hanging all over it, high and low, making windage
that's unacceptable to any real sailor.

I had no issues with a 35#
Danforth with an all chain rode except in oysters where nothing holds
anyway. I suppose heavier has no issues except you need to winch.

All chain rode is unnecessary, destructive of the environment,
prohibitively expensive and it causes undue stress on the deck
hardware, deck and boat in general. It is also too heavy and
doesn't take long to rust. Responsible and wise sailors use a
combination of chain and nylon rode.

I had a winch but didn't use it all too often.

If you need a winch, then either your boat is too large
or your body too weak.

--
Sir Gregory

On 5/7/2015 12:31 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:

I never felt ok about doing this given the bird s**t I had to rinse off
of the decks and the often serious diseases carried in that stuff. I
kept a tarp to deploy in cases of rain instead of bare decks. Even so I
did the Clorox trick as well.

A clean tarp is a much better idea. I would hesitate to drink water
gathered off the decks even when Cloroxed but it sure could be used
safely for bathing, laundry, etc. I suspect most of the water Skippy
collects is used for bathing, cleaning and laundry. I have found that
one conceited woman with long hair can use 25-50 gallons of water a
day.

If you read Skip's recent narrative in whole, you'd see he's rather
penurious with his fresh water. He bathes in salt, for example, most of
the time.

In my case, all my boats have had integrated water systems in the sense
that fresh water is fungible with no way to pull water from tank A for
washing but tank B for drinking. Even if I closed one tank reserving it
for drinking, the lines would contain the lesser quality water. This is
why I didn't drink from the deck water although others did.

Most bird transmitted disease are from pigeons and the like but seagulls
were the source of a disease breakout in NYCity a bit back.

All chain rode is unnecessary, destructive of the environment,
prohibitively expensive and it causes undue stress on the deck
hardware, deck and boat in general. It is also too heavy and
doesn't take long to rust. Responsible and wise sailors use a
combination of chain and nylon rode.

I had that on my previous boat finding no issue with nylon bent to chain
but this boat came with all chain. I saw no reason to not deploy it. I'm
skeptical that it is more damaging to the sea bottom than rope / chain
rode. Only a short length is on the bottom and that is the same whether
the rode is partly rope or not.

I found a few situations where I had to ride a short scope and there the
all chain was invaluable.

I had a winch but didn't use it all too often.

If you need a winch, then either your boat is too large
or your body too weak.

I'm boatless now but hope to be afloat again in a few years. I will
never again buy a large, heavy complex boat like I had before but I
don't have an issue with those who wish them. I can remember fewer more
pleasurable experiences than, after single handing offshore for a number
of days, anchoring in a quiet cove and then going below for a HOT fresh
water shower. It was a luxury beyond belief.

However, the constant maintenance and cost wore me out. On the balance,
I will KISS for sure next time out.

---

On Thu, 07 May 2015 15:44:16 -0600, slide wrote:

On 5/7/2015 12:31 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:

I never felt ok about doing this given the bird s**t I had to rinse off
of the decks and the often serious diseases carried in that stuff. I
kept a tarp to deploy in cases of rain instead of bare decks. Even so I
did the Clorox trick as well.

A clean tarp is a much better idea. I would hesitate to drink water
gathered off the decks even when Cloroxed but it sure could be used
safely for bathing, laundry, etc. I suspect most of the water Skippy
collects is used for bathing, cleaning and laundry. I have found that
one conceited woman with long hair can use 25-50 gallons of water a
day.

If you read Skip's recent narrative in whole, you'd see he's rather
penurious with his fresh water. He bathes in salt, for example, most of
the time.

Did I misread or did he not say his *forward* water
tank holds 125 gallons. Why, that's totally absurd.
If he has an aft water tank of similar size that
would mean 250 gallons of water. OMG! Can you say
gluttonous waste?

I have two water tanks. One is 18 gallons and the
second is 12 gallons. They are usually autonomous
but can be connected by opening a valve. I also carry
two, six-gallon plastic water jugs and five or six
one-gallon jugs of the spring water type in various
stages of fill. I prefer to haul water from shore to
the boat in one gallon jugs as they are ever so much
easier to deal with than the heavy six-gallon type.

In my case, all my boats have had integrated water systems in the sense
that fresh water is fungible with no way to pull water from tank A for
washing but tank B for drinking. Even if I closed one tank reserving it
for drinking, the lines would contain the lesser quality water. This is
why I didn't drink from the deck water although others did.

Most bird transmitted disease are from pigeons and the like but seagulls
were the source of a disease breakout in NYCity a bit back.

One could always boil it in a pinch but that would
consume too much stove fuel.

All chain rode is unnecessary, destructive of the environment,
prohibitively expensive and it causes undue stress on the deck
hardware, deck and boat in general. It is also too heavy and
doesn't take long to rust. Responsible and wise sailors use a
combination of chain and nylon rode.

I had that on my previous boat finding no issue with nylon bent to chain
but this boat came with all chain. I saw no reason to not deploy it. I'm
skeptical that it is more damaging to the sea bottom than rope / chain
rode. Only a short length is on the bottom and that is the same whether
the rode is partly rope or not.

Depends upon the strength of wind and current. In many cases if
you have out 100 feet of chain, 80 or so feet can be scraping
back and forth along the bottom, wreaking unnecessary havoc
on the ecosystem there.

I found a few situations where I had to ride a short scope and there the
all chain was invaluable.

The ONLY time I would not decry all-chain is in areas with
coral heads or sharp rock ledges that might chafe through
combination rodes. I find it ludicrous that so-called
sailors use nylon *snubbers*. I see them struggling with
them, leaning over the bow trying to hook them, etc.

So freaking stupid when a combination chain/nylon rode
eliminates the need for such stupidity.

I had a winch but didn't use it all too often.

If you need a winch, then either your boat is too large
or your body too weak.

I'm boatless now but hope to be afloat again in a few years. I will
never again buy a large, heavy complex boat like I had before but I
don't have an issue with those who wish them. I can remember fewer more
pleasurable experiences than, after single handing offshore for a number
of days, anchoring in a quiet cove and then going below for a HOT fresh
water shower. It was a luxury beyond belief.

However, the constant maintenance and cost wore me out. On the balance,
I will KISS for sure next time out.

Yup, let the pretenders like Skippy have the big,
cluttered, system-laden, wallowing well below the
load waterline, garbage scows on which they spend
90% of the time they could be cruising working on
them instead. Examine his diary entries. Perhaps
5% is about sailing while the other 95% is all
about problems he has with one unnecessary system
after another.

So myopic yet so typical, these days where trying
to impress takes precedence over ease of sailing.

--
Sir Gregory

On Thu, 07 May 2015 18:39:10 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

[...]

Thus speaks the great (or at least very noisy) authority on "cruising"
who depends on carrying water from shore to his boat.

Ever actually "cruise", say a Trans-Atlantic voyage? Or maybe an
off-shore trip from, say Bermuda to New York City?
Obviously not if you depend on water hauled from shore.

So, you really aren't a cruising sailor are you, "Floating Trailer
Trash" would seem a far more accurate description.

Perhaps we need a Usenet group entitled rec.marinetrailer.noncruising

[...]

The eco-system of a mud bank?

Or do you really think that people seek out coral clumps to anchor in?
My experience has been that "knowledgeable", as apposed to those who
gain their knowledge from reading magazines, cruisers avoid coral
reefs as anchorages to the greatest extent possible.

I found a few situations where I had to ride a short scope and there the
all chain was invaluable.

The ONLY time I would not decry all-chain is in areas with
coral heads or sharp rock ledges that might chafe through
combination rodes. I find it ludicrous that so-called
sailors use nylon *snubbers*. I see them struggling with
them, leaning over the bow trying to hook them, etc.

Quite obviously you really don't know much about how an "anchor
system" works. The great advantage to an all chain rode is that the
weight of the chain forces a much larger catenary in the rode and thus
reduces the angle at which tension is applied to the anchor, which, of
course, reduces the force tending to pull the anchor up, out of the
sea bed.

Which, by the way, is the reason for the recommendations on how much
scope to use depending on currents and wind, and whether chain or rope
rode.

So freaking stupid when a combination chain/nylon rode
eliminates the need for such stupidity.

Of course it seems stupid..... to someone that so obviously doesn't
know what he is talking about.

[...]

Strange, you know. I've been aboard a number of vessels ranging from
super tankers to ocean going fishing boats and they all, I say "all",
have anchor winches.

Are you sure you know what you are talking about? It certainly doesn't
sound as though you do.

So myopic yet so typical, these days where trying
to impress takes precedence over ease of sailing.

Exactly.

Except the "ease of sailing" needs changing to "experience".
--
Cheers,

Bruce

I had a winch but didn't use it all too often. I also had a plough about

70# for storms but rarely deployed it. Some like a fisherman for rocks
but I figured the plough would suffice if I ever had that bottom which I
never did. What shapes are you anchors? Do you also have a lunch hook?

Our primary is a Rocna, our secondary is a Delta (73 and 55# respectively).
Because we have a windlass, there is no 'lunch hook' as it's very convenient
to launch and retrieve.

We also have a Fortress 37 KD and in a bag, along with the 50'/150 5/16G40
chain/1"MegaBraid bag. We've never deployed it. Two larger-than-dinghy
(maybe 25#) Danforth-style have been used in the past when we've wanted to
not swing with the current, as dual stern anchors. We had to tighten the
lines from time to time, but they were OK to the purpose.

L8R

Skip, off Fowl Cay National Park

---

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not
fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

Neal, if you want to pull my chain (pardon the expression) you MUST read for
not only content, context and tone, but for specifics, particularly when you
use them in support of an argument. :{))

That said, I'm sorry we didn't get together - there was no southing (as
you'd see if you read the beginning) in our dash to the exit...

wrote:

On 5/7/2015 12:31 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:

I never felt ok about doing this given the bird s**t I had to rinse off
of the decks and the often serious diseases carried in that stuff. I
kept a tarp to deploy in cases of rain instead of bare decks. Even so I
did the Clorox trick as well.

We are blessed/cursed (some of them are very nice to be around) with a
general lack of birds in the area where we currently find ourselves.

In any event, a scrub in the start of a squall, and a good rinse time,
quickly renders our surface drinkable.

As to how much water it takes for us to be comfortable that way, it has to
be sluicing hard enough to hit the back side of the scupper just downstream
from our fills.

A clean tarp is a much better idea. I would hesitate to drink water
gathered off the decks even when Cloroxed but it sure could be used
safely for bathing, laundry, etc. I suspect most of the water Skippy
collects is used for bathing, cleaning and laundry. I have found that
one conceited woman with long hair can use 25-50 gallons of water a
day.

If you read Skip's recent narrative in whole, you'd see he's rather
penurious with his fresh water. He bathes in salt, for example, most of
the time.

Did I misread or did he not say his *forward* water

tank holds 125 gallons. Why, that's totally absurd.
If he has an aft water tank of similar size that
would mean 250 gallons of water. OMG! Can you say
gluttonous waste?

Yes, you misread. Forward tank is nominally (based on dimension; reality
makes it a bit less) 195G, aft 120 (ditto)G, and the supplemental tank in
the settee 50G. Nominally, as much as 365 gallons of water. However,
there's only 80G of diesel; we're a sailboat, after all.

It rained hard enough yesterday that we again not only filled our tanks to
overflowing, we also filled the supplemental tank by merely the standing
water in the fill tube's force, coming up from the forward tank through its
3/8" tube - 50 gallons in, again, mere minutes.

Under those circumstances (and, of course, the weather pattern could
change), the summertime pattern of occasional squalls out of nowhere (this
one was 37 knots in a gust, 30 sustained) allowing, we're being a bit more
casual about our water.

However, passages such as our Fernandina to Portland always find us with
ample water left. If we're not being VERY conservative, we typically will
get as much as two months out of a complete fill.

I'd like to see you do that in your world cruiser; stepping out for a jug of
water's a bit challenging hundreds of miles offshore :{)) Or, if you
arrived in two months with water to spare, likely I'd want to stay upwind!

clip

All chain rode is unnecessary, destructive of the environment,
prohibitively expensive and it causes undue stress on the deck
hardware, deck and boat in general. It is also too heavy and
doesn't take long to rust. Responsible and wise sailors use a
combination of chain and nylon rode.

We have both aboard; our secondary is 150' chain and 150' MegaBraid bent on.

Both chains will rust at about the same rate if they're in the water at the
same time; ergo, you should have only rope rode, as you're either pregnant
or you're not, so to speak.

As to the weight, it helps offset all that windage and junk we have hanging
off our stern :{))

And, by the way, as that increases mass at the end of a pendulum, it swings
more slowly. Ergo, this 2-3' chop we have is mere wiggles. What would your
yacht look like anchored here, in 9' of water? With all the weight
concentrated in the center, I'd imagine it would be VERY responsive to every
wave :{)) (which is about a 2 second interval, FWIW)

I note that you have some interesting stuff hanging off the back of your
boat, too, but the scale to accommodate the dinghy is striking on Cut The
Mustard compared to what is astern aboard Flying Pig.

I had that on my previous boat finding no issue with nylon bent to chain
but this boat came with all chain. I saw no reason to not deploy it. I'm
skeptical that it is more damaging to the sea bottom than rope / chain
rode. Only a short length is on the bottom and that is the same whether
the rode is partly rope or not.

Depends upon the strength of wind and current. In many cases if

you have out 100 feet of chain, 80 or so feet can be scraping
back and forth along the bottom, wreaking unnecessary havoc
on the ecosystem there.

It sounds as though you advocate moorings only. I =have= known folks to
carry three danforths which they strung together to make a mooring, so,
perhaps you could do it. But then, there would be all that extra weight.
(You WERE going to use chain on those to make the mooring right? Oh. It
won't move around at all, leaving that ecosystem pristinely as it was when
you arrived.)

clip

Yup, let the pretenders like Skippy have the big,

cluttered, system-laden, wallowing well below the
load waterline, garbage scows on which they spend
90% of the time they could be cruising working on
them instead. Examine his diary entries. Perhaps
5% is about sailing while the other 95% is all
about problems he has with one unnecessary system
after another.

So myopic yet so typical, these days where trying
to impress takes precedence over ease of sailing.

--
Sir Gregory
-----------
\
Ah, the nobility has spoken.

We're sitting in the middle of the Bahamas at anchor, communicating over
WiFi to a point a dozen miles away (which, by the way, if your memory is
long enough, you may recall my posting under way south of Staniel, using the
Sampson Cay Marina hotspot, is our usual). Lydia's using her cellphone
over our network (most smartphones can connect to the internet and avoid
minutes/data charges) to face-time her kids, and her computer to send
pictures she took on her 'real' camera to her family.

I check in to the MMSN (maritime mobile service net) occasionally; yesterday
the anchor playfully yelled that his ears hurt, as I'd nearly blasted the
roof off that Dallas-based ham shack. That, by the way, was one of those
unnecessary system problems we had and conquered.

So much for systems. Can you do that aboard your fine yacht?

By the way, congratulations on solving that OpenCPN challenge and continuing
to manufacture 134a; you perhaps could earn a bit on the side providing
those whose systems only USE it.

Oh.

Systems.

Never mind.

We sailed up from Marsh Harbour yesterday, and after anchoring on our
all-chain-and-Rocna, we had a 37knot squall during which we moved not an
inch; our catenary took all the major stuff, and our snubber did the stretch
and respond routine. FWIW, it's NO difficulty to attach our snubber; I clip
the receiver over the link right at the windlass and let it down.

Today we'll scrub the dinghy, and swim off the beach here at the national
park, as it's a bit too rough for snorkeling/free diving; I get a break from
being the Cruisers' Net anchor on my birthday tomorrow, but we did just fine
broadcasting from here today, as we have in the past. The radio I used was
replaced during one of those unnecessary problem solving situations.

Of course, I just reached under the bed (OOPS! Berth!) and pulled out the
identical radio, which went right into the same hole and used the same,
already installed plugs. OUR boat has plenty of room for spares - so, we
carry them :{))

What? You don't? Don't go all Robert Redford on me now, and be unprepared!

L8R, y'all

Skip, starkers because nobody without binocs could see us, and if the binox
folks want to see me au naturel, they are welcome to it :{))