posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing,alt.usenet.kooks
52% 52% is offline

Default I pity you land lubbers who are pretend sailors.

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:

I pity you land lubbers. Yes, YOU! I don't know
anybody posting to Usenet who isn't a dullard
landlubber. Capt. Skippy of the "Flying Pig" has
even turned into a land lubber as I predicted a
couple years ago.

Greg, if I could just interrupt for a moment... the absence of the
preposition /of/ in your sentence above: ie.. "as I predicted a couple
years ago" disturbs my comprehension of the English language - to my
mind it is regional laziness...'coarse, I might be wrong about this, but
what is your take on this common Americanism?...tia...

I'm the only one MAN enough to live aboard my
sailboat who is not a land lubber. I've lived
aboard since 1985. I sailed many thousands of
miles - mostly coastal cruising which is the
most challenging sailing of all. I still sail
and anchor out but more often than not I can be
found on my mooring in my home port in the Florida
Keys. I have found paradise. I can sail overnight
in Florida Bay and along the reef in Hawk Channel.
I can sail across the Gulf Stream for a Bahamas
cruise on short notice as my yacht is always ready
to go. I could take off for a sail around the world
as that is how well found my yacht is due to my
diligence.

I've kept my Coronado 27 - hull number 91,
manufactured in 1971 and bought from the original
owner by yours truly way back in 1985, in better
than new condition. Everything is as good or better
than the day my fine yacht's hull was popped out
of the mold.

Considering the living expenses I've saved by not
renting or financing a house my fine yacht has
EARNED me around a quarter million dollars.

It is often said a boat is a hole in the water
into which one tosses money but that is only the
case if you are a lubber who is too afraid to commit
to a maritime existence like I have. For me sailing
doesn't cost - it pays.

I have to wonder just what is WRONG with the younger
generation. I see NO younger sailors who are living
aboard with plans to do so indefinitely. I have to
wonder why that is. Probably due to the fact that
the younger generation has no wanderlust. They can
surf the net and they substitute that for reality.

Sad.

--
Sir Gregory

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:

I pity you land lubbers. Yes, YOU! I don't know
anybody posting to Usenet who isn't a dullard
landlubber. Capt. Skippy of the "Flying Pig" has
even turned into a land lubber as I predicted a
couple years ago.

..

An excellent post, Greg...

Many years ago I was living close to where I'm @ now (my new abode)

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=du...ed=0CCcQ8gEwAA

...zoom in or out to savour the nautical aspect!...anyways, back then I
was often a young drunkard with a mission in life & once passing by a
moored yacht I took time to just look @ it, from the shoreline, like! -
this owner drongo emerged fro' teh bowels o' teh vessel & gave me the
most hateful look imaginable (that imagery lives with me to this
day)...Maybe you, as an owner & liver-on-board person can define the
unwarranted & inexcusable hate animus of this execrable boaty arsehole -
thks mate!..
..

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 09:00:53 +1000, "52%" wrote:

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:

I pity you land lubbers. Yes, YOU! I don't know
anybody posting to Usenet who isn't a dullard
landlubber. Capt. Skippy of the "Flying Pig" has
even turned into a land lubber as I predicted a
couple years ago.

Greg, if I could just interrupt for a moment... the absence of the
preposition /of/ in your sentence above: ie.. "as I predicted a couple
years ago" disturbs my comprehension of the English language - to my
mind it is regional laziness...'coarse, I might be wrong about this, but
what is your take on this common Americanism?...tia...

*Of* is simply not needed there. "As I predicted a couple *of* years
ago" would sound verbose, afflicted and extraneous. "A couple years
ago I went to sea" vs. "a couple of years ago I went to sea" has the
same meaning but the economy of words is lacking in the latter case.

Now, "there is a dram *of* whiskey" would be correct whereas "there
is a dram whiskey" would be incorrect.

Nor would the stylist type "a couple those" instead of "a couple of
those." A couple years, a couple days, a couple months are all units
of time. The *of* is extraneous.

--
Sir Gregory

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 09:17:27 +1000, "52%" wrote:

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:

I pity you land lubbers. Yes, YOU! I don't know
anybody posting to Usenet who isn't a dullard
landlubber. Capt. Skippy of the "Flying Pig" has
even turned into a land lubber as I predicted a
couple years ago.

.

An excellent post, Greg...

Thank you, sir.

Many years ago I was living close to where I'm @ now (my new abode)

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=du...ed=0CCcQ8gEwAA

..zoom in or out to savour the nautical aspect!...

Yes, there are some yachts anchored off the docks.

...anyways, back then I
was often a young drunkard with a mission in life & once passing by a
moored yacht I took time to just look @ it, from the shoreline, like! -
this owner drongo emerged fro' teh bowels o' teh vessel & gave me the
most hateful look imaginable (that imagery lives with me to this
day)...Maybe you, as an owner & liver-on-board person can define the
unwarranted & inexcusable hate animus of this execrable boaty arsehole -
thks mate!..

We sailors don't like to be gawked at by anybody. If we did, we'd be
living ashore where most of the people have never learned not to
stare. But, on the other hand, it appears there is no reason to be
anchored so close to the shore that people could even make you out
well with the naked eye so that sailor you talk about created his
own angst, so to speak. I'm about three-tenths of a mile offshore
so the land lubbers would need binoculars to espy me with any detail.

But, if one of those asshole paddle-boarders come within a few feet
of my yacht staring as I were a zoo exhibit there for their
entertainment, they might just get a mean glare and nothing else
returned because rude people such as these deserve no better
treatment. Why don't lubbers have any concept of personal space?
Is it because you no longer have any personal space crowded into
the warrens there.

--
Sir Gregory

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing,alt.usenet.kooks
52% 52% is offline

Checkmate wrote:
..

I'll take solid land under my feet over a floating nutshell any day.
I've got acres of wilderness right outside my door, and I've got lots of
trees. I have little use for boats, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to
live on one.

Checky admits to irrational fear; Aquaphobia!!!...

Checkie's an aquaphobiac - yay!!..

..

Vir Campestris wrote:

On 11/04/2014 05:23, Julian wrote:
On 4/10/2014 8:48 PM, Checkmate wrote:
I'll take solid land under my feet over a floating nutshell any day.
I've got acres of wilderness right outside my door, and I've got lots of
trees. I have little use for boats, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to
live on one.

Boats are great.

Opinions differ. I own a boat, but I wouldn't want to live on it.

However please all note the collection of groups this has been posted
to. "Sir" Gregory is just trolling.

Andy

Hi there, is your bote a er, floatin' gin palace?...
..

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:

[...]

Thks Greg...

Nice!..

..

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=du...ved=0CCcQ8gEwA

[...]

Thankyou Captain Neal!..
..
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing,alt.usenet.kooks
52% 52% is offline

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:
..

Why don't lubbers have any concept of personal space?
Is it because you no longer have any personal space crowded into
the warrens there.

Well, a bit of that perhaps Greg... but the older I get, the rudeness of
hoi polloi just reinforces - that's why money is fantastic in buying you
release from them - no?..
..
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing,alt.usenet.kooks
% % is offline

52% wrote:
Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:
.

Why don't lubbers have any concept of personal space?
Is it because you no longer have any personal space crowded into
the warrens there.

Well, a bit of that perhaps Greg... but the older I get, the rudeness
of hoi polloi just reinforces - that's why money is fantastic in
buying you release from them - no?..
.

release this

Eat your hearts out all you wannabe, pretend and non-sailors Wilbur Hubbard Cruising 12 November 28th 11 10:47 PM
Let's Pretend Joe ASA 20 September 15th 06 05:09 AM
Lubbers don't understand Capt. Neal® ASA 4 November 21st 04 02:08 AM
FS: Windtek Land Yacht 3 wheel land sailer - Sail anywhere! Bobsprit ASA 0 September 21st 03 02:14 PM
Lubbers! Capt. Mooron ASA 16 August 20th 03 09:53 AM