posted to uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,alt.usenet.kooks

Default You Brits are Novice Sailors (for the most part)

It's not too late to learn how to sail as the World Famous Mariner,
Captain Neal's Novice Lessons are still on the Internet in the
archival record.

Read them he

http://web.archive.org/web/200708251...essonnew2.html

Photo of Capt. Neal and First Mate he

http://web.archive.org/web/200612250...l/index10.html

--
Sir Gregory
posted to uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

You dope. Lessons for novices eh? First you say DR takes no account of wind
and tide but then you go on a diatribe about how important variation is. For
the novice, day sailing as you suggest, he would be better served by making
an allowance for wind and tide which will affect his trip greatly, rather
than variation which over short distances is of little matter. I've read
enough.

Damn. I've fed a troll again.

TonyB

"Sir Gregory Hall, Esq." wrote in message

It's not too late to learn how to sail as the World Famous Mariner,
Captain Neal's Novice Lessons are still on the Internet in the
archival record.

Read them he

http://web.archive.org/web/200708251...essonnew2.html

Photo of Capt. Neal and First Mate he

http://web.archive.org/web/200612250...l/index10.html

--
Sir Gregory

posted to uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Damn. I've fed a troll again.

Sigh. So you have.

posted to uk.rec.sailing,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Tony,
Why do you even read his stuff?
Quilljar

PS I hope to be off sailing from Skiathos in April with my son as skipper
now :-)
We choose Skiathos because the Marina is only five minutes from the
airport!!!

Quilljar wrote:

We choose Skiathos because the Marina is only five minutes from the
airport!!!

Five full minutes? I offer ten seconds.

During a lot of years, the Rhine Week[1] was hosted at noon or
overnight in the yacht harbour of Wesel with three sailing or
boating clubs. The neighbouring glider airfield is *really*
neighbouring; when the wind is easterly, the gliders come in one
or two dozen meters over the mast tops when they land.

51°39.75'N, end of water at 6°35.3'E, start of airfield at 6°35.4'E. (WGS84)

Check at e.g. at http://map.openseamap.org. Or view the last minute of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTzZNKpx7Lk?t=8m8s

(or maybe the full http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXS-uQS_S_k, but
they start with westerly wind over the harbour, so the camera
doesn't show the water...)

Regards,
-is

[1] http://www.rheinwoche.org/
--
A medium apple... weighs 182 grams, yields 95 kcal, and contains no
caffeine, thus making it unsuitable for sysadmins. - Brian Kantor

"Quilljar" wrote in message
Tony,
Why do you even read his stuff?
Quilljar

PS I hope to be off sailing from Skiathos in April with my son as skipper
now :-)
We choose Skiathos because the Marina is only five minutes from the
airport!!!

I consider myself duly admonished! Good to hear you're booked
for a nice trip Quilly. My last in Lanarote was rained off
and we were confined to port for 3 days due to high winds.
Bearing in mind that this particular company normally sail in conditions
that frighten me witless, you can guess how bad the winds were!

TonyB