posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Whole Earth Graphical Wind Map

This is very cool:

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-58.13,38.75,801

You can move the map around the globe by dragging with your mouse.

As many of you know, winds flow counterclockwise around low pressure
systems in the northern hemisphere, and clockwise around high
pressure.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
This is very cool:

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-58.13,38.75,801

You can move the map around the globe by dragging with your mouse.

As many of you know, winds flow counterclockwise around low pressure
systems in the northern hemisphere, and clockwise around high
pressure.

Simplistic description!

A counter-clockwise flow would indicate a circular flow which
is simply not the case. I have heard and I believe that winds flow
outward at around a 15 degree angle from the center of a high and
flow inward at about the same angle around a low.

--
Sir Gregory

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

This is very cool:

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-58.13,38.75,801

This would be way cooler if you could choose the time of year. Seasonal wind
patterns vary significantly, sometimes on a very large scale. For instance,
monsoon season in the eastern Pacific is a lot different from the wind
patterns half a year away.

Tom

Bil Bil is offline

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 2:28:02 AM UTC+8, Tdacon wrote:
This would be way cooler if you could choose the time of year. Seasonal wind

patterns vary significantly, sometimes on a very large scale. For instance,

monsoon season in the eastern Pacific is a lot different from the wind

patterns half a year away.

I think it is pseudo-real time. The current display shows the Northeast Monsoon flow over Asia and Tropical Storm Jane is shown at its real time position, near New Caledonia and headed south towards the North Island of New Zealand.

Props to Wayne B for bringing to our attention. You're fantastic, Wayne.

Bil

"Bil" wrote in message

I think it is pseudo-real time. The current display shows the Northeast
Monsoon flow over Asia and Tropical Storm Jane is shown at its real time
position, near New Caledonia and headed south towards the North Island of
New Zealand.

Yeah, the "about" page says that it's recomputed every three hours by a
supercomputer. So we're looking at the current day's winds. BTW the 1000hPa
part of the URL identifies the simulation as surface winds. Here's the about
page: http://earth.nullschool.net/#about

Tom