Default best diesel engines

I'm about to specify engines for a new 54' boat. I welcome some advice on what's best
for performance, noise/vibration, fuel economy, reliability, etc

On Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:32:06 PM UTC-5, Dieter Evertz wrote:
I'm about to specify engines for a new 54' boat. I welcome some advice on what's best

for performance, noise/vibration, fuel economy, reliability, etc

one more point: I have had CAT engines in different boats but apparently they no longer
sell their C15 model which would be about the right size engine.

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 11:42:54 -0800 (PST), Dieter Evertz
wrote:

On Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:32:06 PM UTC-5, Dieter Evertz wrote:
I'm about to specify engines for a new 54' boat. I welcome some advice on what's best

for performance, noise/vibration, fuel economy, reliability, etc

one more point: I have had CAT engines in different boats but apparently they no longer
sell their C15 model which would be about the right size engine.

===

The closest current model appears to be the Cat C12:

http://marine.cat.com/cat-C12

The John Deere engines marinized by Lugger are also well regarded
although you may need more power depending on your displacement and
speed requirement:

http://www.northern-lights.com/lugger/L1276A2.html

On Sunday, 11 November 2012 14:57:02 UTC-5, injipoint wrote:
On 11/11/2012 8:42 PM, Dieter Evertz wrote:

On Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:32:06 PM UTC-5, Dieter Evertz wrote:

I'm about to specify engines for a new 54' boat. I welcome some advice on what's best

for performance, noise/vibration, fuel economy, reliability, etc

one more point: I have had CAT engines in different boats but apparently they no longer

sell their C15 model which would be about the right size engine.

Sail or Power?

Power, need twin diesels, about 800 - 1000 HP

On 11/11/2012 11:35 PM, Dieter Evertz wrote:
On Sunday, 11 November 2012 14:57:02 UTC-5, injipoint wrote:
On 11/11/2012 8:42 PM, Dieter Evertz wrote:

On Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:32:06 PM UTC-5, Dieter Evertz wrote:

I'm about to specify engines for a new 54' boat. I welcome some advice on what's best

for performance, noise/vibration, fuel economy, reliability, etc

one more point: I have had CAT engines in different boats but apparently they no longer

sell their C15 model which would be about the right size engine.

Sail or Power?

Power, need twin diesels, about 800 - 1000 HP

Ah, one of Wayne's mates!
Mine's only 56hp.
I must admit that personally I like the sound of Gardner Denvers but I
don't know if they still make them. We had them in a fast Ferry that
used to operate from Perth to Rottnest Island, just off the coast a bit.
Damn they sounded good when she pulled out.

"Wayne.B" wrote:

The John Deere engines marinized by Lugger are also well regarded
although you may need more power depending on your displacement and
speed requirement:

http://www.northern-lights.com/lugger/L1276A2.html

The Deere is a long stroke, low RPM, wet sleeve design.

Translation:

Low vibration, long life and because it is wet sleeve,
can be rebuilt in the boat.

Was planning on using one in the boat I was building.

SFWIW, had also designed in an AquaDrive to further isolate
the engine from the hull thus reducing vibration and noise.

Lew