Tom Tom is offline

Default Trailer wheel bearings???

Ok, now I am going to change the wheelbearings on the trailer. There are 4
and looks like they are individual (as opposed to axels where there is
differencial oil lubing each side). So they have the bearings kits at the
local Walmart so I figured I would just jack up one side of the trailer at a
time and do these one by one. I figured there would be a couple roller
bearing things in there with some cones or spacers or seals.

Any tips from those who have successfully performed such a change? I would
really like to know what the preferred grease is to be pumped into them when
complete. There are grease nipples on each one so I can pump grease in. I
have two types of grease, one is a brown kind of grease, the other is a Esso
product that is blue or greenish. I also have lots of Neverseize, in the
grease gun cartridge style thing. Any recommendation from the experts before
I mix them all together? I am hoping to drop it into salt water as well as
fresh water as many times as I can.
Thanks

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 09:52:30 -0400, "Tom" wrote:

[...]

Go out and buy some waterproof wheel bearing grease. Mixing two
different greases might work but might also not work. Grease is cheap,
why not use the right stuff.

The grease fitting is so that you can flush out any water after you
get the wheels wet. Pump grease in until clean grease squirts out.
Cheers,
Bruce
Tom Tom is offline

Yes that is what I will do is get some good grease for the bearings that is
good for both salt and fresh water. That is the problem here is dropping the
trailer into salty water has started it to rust a lot. Mine is a big trailer
that was home made by someone about 40 years ago and is nice solid heavy
trailer. A funny thing happened one day some city workers were installing
some undergound pipe and firehydrants and broke one of those big anodes they
use on the hydrants so I took the anode, it was about 3 feet long piece of
Magnesium or Zinc not sure but one of those metals so I clamped it onto my
trailer in a couple spots with hose clamps. But not sure how that will work
as I figured they had to attached and left a certain distance away for good
galvanic sacrifical action to happen but seems to be rusting more. Might be
due for a sandblasting and repainting. That might be good for a few years,
or look good for a few years. O well. I will give a report as to the success
or headaches of the bearing swap. Should be intereststing and greasy. Thanks
for your advice again, appreciate it.

Wheel bearings SteveB[_2_] General 19 March 30th 09 06:32 AM
Trailer Wheel Bearings New2Boating General 3 March 12th 06 11:09 PM
Saltwater and Trailer Wheel Bearings Bryan General 11 November 28th 05 02:42 PM
Trailer Bearings WRH General 3 February 12th 04 10:54 AM
trailer bearings Fred General 26 October 20th 03 05:13 PM