Default It's the pits, man!

Well, as you know from my priors, I successfully dropped the rudder. Today I
started in on removing all the prior epoxy from my interior attempts at
remediation of the many pits and fissures the rudder shaft.

Once that's all out, I'll aggressively hand wire-brush the pits with acetone
to clean it all for the next - and final, as the sleeves I wanted to use
won't work (for technical reasons) in this application - step, which is
Devcon's Plastic Steel epoxy.

Consultations with Devcon reveal that this is the best product for the
application, and it's very forgiving in time terms, allowing lots of work
time. I will stage the application such that I can sand it "green" so that
I don't have to exert so much force that I remove steel in the process.

Pix of this stage begin he

http://justpickone.org/skip/gallery/...+Old+Epoxy+Out

L8R, y'all

Skip, celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary alone tomorrow, working on the
boat, while Lydia plays nursemaid to her mother's house-host, who had
emergency gall bladder removal yesterday but is home, now, and her mother,
recovering from a compression fracture, but doing very nicely on Reumofan
Plus...

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 21:02:20 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Consultations with Devcon reveal that this is the best product for the
application, and it's very forgiving in time terms, allowing lots of work
time. I will stage the application such that I can sand it "green" so
that
I don't have to exert so much force that I remove steel in the process.

Are you using a sleeve after the Devcon ?

No, I can't.

The nature of the sleeves made by SKF require removal of the ledge they
provide to tap it down into place in order for them to work for me.

That would leave a gap between more than one of them.

More than one of them can be used on a shaft which is too long for a single
one (the max is only less than half of the area of my packing), but the
usual application of that situation is where there are two seals (this
product isn't designed for a packing gland).

You can see some of what is involved in a dual-sleeve application he
http://www.justpickone.org/skip/Prac...EDI-SLEEVE.pdf

Further, the leading edge of the sleeve is chamferred; even if I did it so
that two of them would butt, with the ledges removed top and bottom of the
pair I'd need (possible, now that the shaft is out), there would be an
uneven level made by the two chamfers butted together, or, if I did the
first one with the ledge up, a flat against a chamfer. My packing is 1" or
more (4 or 5 rings of 5/16"); even only 3 rings would be more than a single
0.875 length sleeve, which would have to be very exactly placed if it were
long enough.

That's disappointing, but I really don't expect any challenges, once it's
applied and leveled to the dimension of the steel shaft. I suspect that
there has been some wear over the years, but I don't expect the packing
would notice a few thousandths diminishments, so long as it was round.

It's that part which will have my very full attention as I finish it out.
I'm mulling how I can have a very hard, straight, sanding, bridging the
packing area, going up and down the shaft, which isn't diminished from the
original 2", I don't think, above and below the packing area, leaving the
part in between not only perfectly round but also out to full spec on the
shaft. Like in my fairing on the hull, the sandpaper would ride on the
un-touched stainless, acting as a guide to leave the stuff in between at the
same level, but being softer (sanding it "green"), when I do it, removable
with little enough effort that I'm not taking off notable amounts of steel
above and below that area...

Per Devcon, this stuff should set to the degree it can be machined, drilled
and/or tapped, so if I am comfortable that it's not going to leave (I'll try
some destructive testing similar to what I'm now doing to get out the first
attempts, but in an area not inside of the packing area, which is
substantial, dammit) when I'm finished, I'll be happy.

L8R

Skip

Man, is it smoky! JimH General 0 May 17th 07 11:26 PM
Can man? Joe ASA 2 September 21st 06 05:58 PM
Who 'da man... Bill McKee General 5 October 6th 05 06:45 AM
Less than a man. Simple Simon ASA 27 November 19th 03 12:51 PM